FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Abstract

Author Topic: Abstract
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an abstract due for a history paper on Monday and I'm not really sure what that means. I know basically what an abstract is, but I don't know really how to go about creating one. Is there some specific format I need to follow? What does it need to include? This is an upper level class, so I suppose my teacher assumes we know what we're doing, but neither I nor the majority of people I've talked to in the class have any idea. I hope that means its really easy and vague, but I'd rather be sure. Does anyone have any idea what I should be doing?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno about history papers, but all the engineering abstracts I've seen are something like a couple paragraphs just summarizing what you're talking about inside. so my advise: write a pararaph or two that summarizes your paper.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Write a paragraph that deals with the abstract goal of your paper. Maybe google "abstracts" to find examples.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well heck, I thought I responded but I don't see my post.

Basically, an abstract is a detailed summary designed to give the reader an idea of what the purpose of a detailed analysis or report is.

Wikipedia has a decent article on this. Look up abstract (summary).

I don't know if you're in high school or college -- if you're in college I'd go to the university library and if not, I'd go to the public library. Ask the reference librarian for help finding professional journals, especially in the field of history. They will have abstracts in them that you can use for an idea. Make sure to ask the reference librarian and not whoever is sitting at the circulation desk.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Does anyone have any idea what I should be doing?

Emailing or even calling the teacher to request clarification should be the first thing you do. Beyond that, TheGrimace is most likely correct about what you should be writing.

At least in my college a summary does not have to follow any writing format per se, you just need to cover what you will be writing about.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, an abstract should be a compact summary of the paper, and it should succinctly state the primary conclusions. They're rarely over a paragraph, and definitely should not exceed 500 words (200 is a much more common maximum). They should also include motivation for the research, typically at the beginning.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty much what I figured. My teacher is remarkably unapproachable or I would've asked him. I might still talk to some of my grad student friends tomorrow. I'm in college btw. [Smile] Thanks for all the help!
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
If you really want to be abstract, get 4 or 5 different crayons, and draw seemlessly random squiggles. Note: this is only phase one. Then you have to give it a name that it could in no way represent, something that rolls of the tongue, like "The Greed and Drive of the modern Adult Male, as depicted by horses."
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone has been watching Essu flicks, haven't they, T_Smith [Razz] ?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to do a science fair abstract, thank goodness THAT'S all over with.

It's pretty much like everyone said, a few paragraphs summarizing your paper, including the main points. If I were you though, I'd ask the teacher what you need specifically, we were given a form to fill out.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an abstract picked quite at random from arxiv, for a paper titled "Measurement of CP-Violating Asymmetries in $B^0\to(\rho\pi)^0$ Using a Time-Dependent Dalitz Plot Analysis". As a complete aside, I'm working on a time-dependent Dalitz plot analysis myself, though in a different channel.

quote:
We report a measurement of CP-violating asymmetries in $B^0\to(\rho\pi)^0\to\pi^+\pi^-\pi^0$ decays using a time-dependent Dalitz plot analysis. The results are obtained from a data sample of 347 million $\Upsilon(4S) \to B\bar{B}$ decays, collected by the BaBar detector at the PEP-II asymmetric-energy B Factory at SLAC. We measure 26 coefficients of the bilinear form factor terms occurring in the time-dependent decay rate of the \Bz meson and derive the physically relevant quantities from these coefficients. In particular we find a three standard deviation evidence of direct CP-violation in $B^0\to\rho^\pm\pi^\mp$ decays, with systematic uncertainties included. We also achieve a constraint of the angle $\alpha$ of the Unitarity Triangle. All results presented are preliminary.
Hey, you know, that paper looks quite interesting, even though I picked it totally at hazard. I think I'll read it tomorrow, see what they do.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the color crayon approach myself . . . *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
Someone has been watching Essu flicks, haven't they, T_Smith [Razz] ?

I don't even know what an Essu flick is, honestly. I just have a lingering annoyance towards an someone I knew who insisted time and time again that the art he produced was a valid form of art and talent. Perhaps to an abstract mind, what he produced could be considered very thought provoking. To my mind, it was 5 crayons and a flashy title.

And in case one of my friends reads this, no Sam, it was not you.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have to write abstracts for a living (eek), so here is my 2p:

Imagine you hadd to describe your magnum opus to someone while travelling in a lift. You don't have much time, so what you say has to count.

Good luck!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
That's pretty much what I figured. My teacher is remarkably unapproachable or I would've asked him. I might still talk to some of my grad student friends tomorrow. I'm in college btw. [Smile] Thanks for all the help!

If your professor isn't approachable in person, email is a wonderful thing.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.