FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack's Own Right Off Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatrack's Own Right Off Thread
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Since I can't access SR from work, I thought I'd be like a n00b and start a thread instead of looking for one that is similar in topic AND copy a really great idea from another forum.

So anyways, I just stumbled upon some wedding photos of an ex girlfriend. While I'm glad I'm no longer in that relationship and I am happy enough with my wife, it still stirred some weird feelings in me.

I guess it's like seeing someone else drive your car around or wear your number on their jersey. It's not important on a personal level, but there's a certain circuit in your brain that was burned in by the time you spent with that person and it's odd to see he/she leading a life without you.

It's got me in a bit of a funk and my productivity at work has taken a crap for today. Hopefully I'll get over it.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
That is weird. I can't access Hatrack from work, but Sakeriver remains unblocked.

Oh, and you should get over it. You moved along and got married and she did too.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
PC: It's sort of a "beautiful sadness". At least that's how I would describe it... Beautiful because you remember how wonderful the person was (cuz you forget the bad stuff like he used to pee on the seat) and sad because it's all gone and will never come again.

Or maybe I'm projecting my own past feelings?

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I get that, Pix. Not necessarily sadness, but some nostalgia.

Anyway, here's my right off:

My weekend is completely crammed with unpleasant stuff I have to do. Grrrrr.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm faced with contacts to people of my past who have (of course) moved on, it makes me feel uneasy, like I might get sucked back into that role. A definitely unsettling feeling, but it can be dealt with -- it's just so, hmmm, echo-ish?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My Right Off -- Claudia Therese doesn't check her private messages.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone want to explain the concept of this thread to those of us who have/do not read Sake, or is this supposed to be an exclusive in-joke?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Right Off -- a complaint about something that is not at all good.

Antonym: Right On.

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Like Tante said. The Right Off thread is a place for you to say, "This happened, and it sucked. It's not big enough to make a whole separate thread, but Right Off nonetheless!"

I had the same sensation when I found out an ex and his wife are having a baby (maybe even had one by now). Very weird.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
See I heard "Right Off" in the sense of, "He got the jump on me right off." or "My pawn took his knight almost right off."

So the thread confused me. Thanks for the explanation Tante.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
PC: It's sort of a "beautiful sadness". At least that's how I would describe it... Beautiful because you remember how wonderful the person was (cuz you forget the bad stuff like he used to pee on the seat) and sad because it's all gone and will never come again.

Or maybe I'm projecting my own past feelings?

I like that phraseology.

I don't think you're projecting too much. If the person viewing those photos was me after we had broken up, it probably wouldn't have been so bad. I'd only be thinking about how much of a sucker the new guy was.

These days, though, I can only remember the two and a half years we dated as some decent times.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
"Right off" always meant something wasn't allowed to me, or what BB said.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

In context, Sakeriver has what are referred to as "Eternal Threads." Meaning, no one really starts threads over there. If you have something to say, you find a thread that sort of fits it and post it there.

It all started with the "Right On Thread." It was started by saxon75, the host of that forum. It was a place to post about the good things that happened to you. The thread caught on and quickly became popular.

However, someone (I can't remember who exactly) had a really crappy day and wanted to post about it. Since the Right On Thread was definitely not appropriate, the Right Off thread was created as its antithetical. It has also been popular.

There is also a Right Onff thread, created by our own Claudia Therese, that fills in the middle. An example of a Right Onff would be finally learning how to drive stick, but spraining your wrist in the process.

So, I just borrowed the idea. There are enough people who post over there that also post here that I thought the idea would carry over okay.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
My throat hurts.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the phrase "Right Off" is used in this case because, as Tante said, it's the antonym of "Right On". So someone says something great has happened, you say "Right On!". Someone says something crappy has happened, it only makes sense to say "Right Off!". That's how I interpret it anyways.

ROff: I was laying out on the Green today (college campus, big grassy area, etc) and got hit by a frisbee. It was most unpleasant. And the guy who hit me didn't even invite me to play (which I would have). Meh.

Edit: Yeah, what PC said. And it was Noemon who started it over on Sake.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Tante, PC, D.Strange: Gotcha. Thanks for the explanations!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't the antonym of "Right On" be "Wrong On?" or even "Wrong Off?"
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Not really. An opposite is never truely a complete opposite.

In binary, there's ones and zeroes, right? Well, one and zero still exist within this universe, this plane of time and within this context. The true opposite of one and zero would be impossible for us to fathom, as it wouldn't be able to exist nor would our brains be able to comprehend it.

An opposite still has to have a common thread. The opposite of a full glass is an empty glass, but it's still within the context of a glass.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, someone (I can't remember who exactly)
Ah, Primal, you wound me!

And yeah, I created the "Right Off" thread in direct response to the "Right On" thread. I'd sprained my toe, and wanted to complain about it. The title (The (hopefully not daily) Right Off Thread) was a joking mirror image of saxon's thread's title (The (hopefully daily) Right On! Thread) (actually, I'm not sure if there's really an exclamation mark in saxon's thread, or if I just mentally stick one in every time I see it) (I feel the urge to add another parenthetical phrase in this sentence) (and another).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In context, Sakeriver has what are referred to as "Eternal Threads." Meaning, no one really starts threads over there. If you have something to say, you find a thread that sort of fits it and post it there.
This isn't quite as much the case as it once was, actually; just lately there have been a rash of new threads. The eternal threads aren't going anywhere, but people are also feeling more free to create new ones than they have in the past.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to go back to work in two hours, and I have to call about a dozen campgrounds asking for information.

This after harping on my friends all week to make sure they did it by today.

It's gonna be a long night.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Of course! How could I forget!

Noemon: Sakeriver's Tom Davidson.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
Not really. An opposite is never truely a complete opposite.

In binary, there's ones and zeroes, right? Well, one and zero still exist within this universe, this plane of time and within this context. The true opposite of one and zero would be impossible for us to fathom, as it wouldn't be able to exist nor would our brains be able to comprehend it.

An opposite still has to have a common thread. The opposite of a full glass is an empty glass, but it's still within the context of a glass.

I'm not so sure,

"The opposite of war is not peace, its creation?"

The opposites of nouns and verbs seem to follow different rules if you ask me. Even stranger if its an adjective.

Is the opposite of running, walking or standing still?

The opposite of smart is dumb, but what is the opposite of happy? Is it sad or angry?

The opposite of right is wrong, and opposite of on is off, is there any disagreement on that?

Perhaps our perception of "right on" differs. I see right on as similar to when an Australian says, "Good on ya mate!" Right is obviously the correct state, and On suggests that it is occurring like "he is on the ball."

So if you are trying to say that something wrong is not happening and you are glad that is the case I should think "Wrong Off" would be appropriate.

If something wrong is occurring that you wish was not, "Wrong On" would be the right concept.

Finally, if something good did not happen that ought to, I think, "Right Off" would be the accurate description.

But hey, YMMV and English is by no definition subject to my decrees. [Big Grin]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Thefore I clearly cannot choose the wine in front of you.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
The original sake threads both have exclamation points; the Right Onff thread does not.

This post brought to you by Megan Trivia, Inc.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
lately there have been a rash of new threads.

Maybe a little cortisone cream could help with that.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

[Laugh]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Does anybody want a peanut?
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Right Off: To not having enough money to pay for necessary oral surgery, and it being so darn expensive, and dental insurance that won't even pay for 1/3rd, and for making about $100 too much to qualify for assistance, and for our medical insurance not covering it...and just on and on.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't set foot outside of my house in an entire week for two reasons. 1-It's so blasted cold. 2-My kids and I have been in bondage to a most nasty seemingly everlasting cold/cough/sore throat/head-ache thing. Not only have I not left the house, I've gotten practically nothing done in the house. I'm a very grumpy mommy. Now I'm to the point that the forced laziness has taken hold and I don't even want to leave the house. I just want everyone to shut up and leave me alone (which, of course, is impossible).
Right off.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

[ROFL] That gives my post a whole new light for me.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 (????? some good it's doing), birth control now costs twice what it used to. My boyfriend agreed to pick up the other half, but it still put a damper on my day.

What kills me, is I could have just gotten 12 months worth in October, but I didn't because I thought it would be easier to spread the cost out. [Mad]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding - I can't belive how expensive birth control is. It's been out for thirty years now, and it is still ~$30 a month for both pills or the ring? I swear it's artificially inflated. I want to sic the anti-trust avengers on them. Are the anti-trust avengers still in business?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Right Off: I had to leave work early today because I was sick. And I had a fever so I was too sick to enjoy it. Too sick to read Harry Potter. Too sick to enjoy the Match Game. Too sick to eat saltines and chicken soup. I just lay in my bed and was miserable.

Right Onff: I'm feeling a little better now. Thus the post.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Right Off: Like Liz B, I'm sick today. I haven't been able to keep anything down and I feel horrible. It's probably unfair, but I'm also feeling slightly peeved that neither of my roommates have checked in on me. I find it doubtful that they've missed my lovely vomit sounds all day. Maybe not though, who knows. *futilely sips water*
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
No kidding - I can't belive how expensive birth control is. It's been out for thirty years now, and it is still ~$30 a month for both pills or the ring? I swear it's artificially inflated. I want to sic the anti-trust avengers on them. Are the anti-trust avengers still in business?

Welcome to, well, modern medicine.

I'm convinced we've discovered much better drugs for things like heartburn and cures for things like herpes, but they will never be released because a lifetime of treatment medication = $$$.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Right Off: My back hurts. It's a different hurt than the usual back hurts. It doesn't feel like muscle hurt, it feels like it's fusing together. I know, not bloody likely, but that's how it feels.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Tante: sent you an email via HR profile. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
In the scheme of drug prices for the consumer, birth control prices are relatively sane. $30 is actually less than many pharmacy prescription co-pays.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I've paid upwards of $20 or $50 a pill before. That didn't work and caused me problems that resulted in emergency visits.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Before now (I like to think of them as "the good old days") I was paying $11 a month. Eminently reasonable for a college student who doesn't have much money to spare. I haven't quite got up the courage to call the pharmacy and find out how much I'll be paying now. Goodness, the more I think about this, the more depressed it makes me. [Wall Bash]

And I can afford the hike. What about the girls who can't?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I just assumed "right off" was a play on the words and idea of "write off" . . . i.e., to write off, make away with, forget, get over a bad thing.

Ex: Some companies "write off" a bad debt.

In terms of playing with words, then, "right off" in humorous opposition to "right on" makes sense . . .

eh?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cross-post from sake]

My sister's mother-in-law has been in the hospital since a bit before Christmas; her heart stopped last Tuesday, and she's been in the ICU on life support since then. The family is meeting tomorrow to discuss the cessation of the life support.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I'm so sorry, Papa. You and your family will be close in my thoughts tonight.

That is a very difficult conversation even to contemplate.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Sucks, PM. Really really sucks. [Frown]
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

As an unmarried bank teller, I paid a little more than $30 at the county health department. That got me an annual exam, breast screening, pap smear, condoms, two months worth of pre-natal vitamins just in case, and a year's supply of birth control pills.

I can't say it often enough folks. Try the health department or Planned Parenthood and see what the prices are like. There's such a huge difference for me, it's not even funny.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
Right Onff: I'm saving up to buy a car by working at a place that's always been so understaffed that there's loads of overtime to go around. I got a friend a job there even though I wanted overtime, and she did so great my overtime dropped to nothing. Then she stole money from the till and got fired and now I have all the overtime I want.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
And I can afford the hike. What about the girls who can't?

Assuming they're having sex with one person, they could ask that one person to help with the costs of birth control.

Other than that...it's not like contraceptives are a right. Whether they should be or not is a whole 'nother story.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ROff: I was laying out on the Green today (college campus, big grassy area, etc) and got hit by a frisbee. It was most unpleasant. And the guy who hit me didn't even invite me to play (which I would have). Meh.
You have GRASS? You can sit OUTSIDE?

(stop complaining [Wink] )

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.