FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Valentine's Day (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Valentine's Day
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Squicky, think whatever you want. It's clear to everyone else what I meant. I can only explain slowly and in small words so many times.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
PIX:

quote:
It's not really "Black Jack" Please don't make me spell it out. It might (would) offend someone.

I'm offended just by all the ways I could be offended.

There are tons.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's horrible.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
KQ? Are you hanging out on my stitching boards? [Smile]

No... [Confused]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's clear to everyone else what I meant.
I'm willing to bet quite a lot of money that this is not true.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: You'll always be an adorable little girl to me.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
That's horrible.
Not as horrible as the fact of two space pirates about to blow up the cargo airlock in order to get inside and kill, maim, and steal stuff.

And no one's shooting at them yet.

Now that's horrible.

I don't know why you're so insensitive, porter.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Again, I urge you to read my posts without the dirt-colored glasses. You'll be so much happier and you'll have a truer look at reality.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, good point, Scott.

I'll, uh, get to work on that right now.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

So, you have if a guy doesn't want to do Valentine's, his girlfriend does, they talk about it and compromise, which involves them not doing it and the girlfriend being disappointed by this, then the guy is not necessarily self-centered?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That depends - what else does it involve? Do all their compromises end up with her being dissapointed? Is he deeply, religiously opposed or he is just lazy? Does he often withold affection?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Tiffany got her big ticket presents for her birthday Feb 5th. For VD, she gets a sweet poem of my own composition and a coupon that allows her to get her hair done at that $80 hair salon place she wants to go to.

My wallet has taken a SEVERE beating and its only the 2nd month of the year [Frown]

She better leave me alone until our 1 year wedding anniversary in July, that's all I gotta say.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

That's not much of a compromise...

Dude, no way.

If all the rest of us guys have to suffer through Valentines Day, so does Mr. Hypothetical. Man doesn't pick up his lady love something, he deserves to be stung to death by fire ants. That's my final word.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
That depends - what else does it involve? Do all their compromises end up with her being dissapointed? Is he deeply, religiously opposed or he is just lazy? Does he often withold affection?
It's a simple yes or no question. You've basically said yes.

The bizarre withhold affection thing popped up, though. I feel like there's a story there.

katharina
Member # 827

As you have described the situation, then no - because it's not a compromise. She's disspointed, and...that's it. She's dissapointed, and he gets to do nothing for her.

Sucks to be her.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Read it again. I didn't describe the entire compromise, just the parts salient to your earlier statement:
quote:
Boycotting it without the enthusiastic consent of one's partner or else giving a gift begrudgingly is horribly self-centered.
Bascially, he was boycotting it without the enthusiastic consent of his partner, but as the result of, as I said a compromise that, as I said
quote:
may include her accepting some disappointment because they don't do what she wants, but that it is better for them in the long run or more fair or maybe it is just his turn.

katharina
Member # 827

To further explicate, I've set the bar pretty dang low. If he is pissily refusing to step over it because his wacked-up principles include not making his sweetheart feel loved when she wants it, and then extracts a concession from her that she isn't happy about, then he is being very selfish.
katharina
Member # 827

Squicky, you are welcome to work out whatever compromise you want. Don't take my assessment of someone who takes it his frustration at card companies out on his sweetheart personally. I am not talking about you. I am talking about the hypothetical person.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

kat,
I'll ask you again to at least try to keep a civil tone. One might also expect that if you ask for a certain consideration, you would extend that to others.

katharina
Member # 827

If you feel you cannot continue the conversation, I completely understand.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to stay out of the arguement here, but try to at least state my views on V-Day. The same goes for most holidays for me. A holiday is meaningless, unless it is Mother's or Father's day. Those are the only two that I celebrate, even though I only go home for Father's day.

My mom and I don't have much in common for activities, so i take her out to dinner when I go home for a week or two arounf Father's day. My treat.

For Father's day I take dad to the race and have a blast. This also means that the rest of the family moves Father's day up a couple days so that we can all be together, but it usually works out really well doing this.

Would I see it differently if I had someone? Probably not. Would I show any more affection for a S.O. just because of that day? Why? If I love someone so much as a life partner, I should not make one single day more important than the rest. Every day is important.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Maybe the act of love is not the flowers, but getting her the flowers despite not caring for the holiday.

In other words, no convincing needed. He thinks it is dumb, but he loves her and she doesn't, so he gets her flowers and they make her happy. I think someone has to very unselfish and sweet to think about his partner instead of himself.

Boycotting it without the enthusiastic consent of one's partner or else giving a gift begrudgingly is horribly self-centered.

I still stand by this, which I just realized what THREE PAGES AGO. OH MY STARS. This has so not been worth it. Anyway.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Would I show any more affection for a S.O. just because of that day? Why? If I love someone so much as a life partner, I should not make one single day more important than the rest. Every day is important.
Maybe because that day is more important to her than the rest.
Scott R
Member # 567

From the recent Missionary thread:

quote:
Mr. Squicky said:

I don't think I've ever taken cheap little shots at anyone here, ever and I'd ask if you are going to accuse me of this that you present some sort of evidence.

Then in this thread, he said:

quote:
The bizarre withhold affection thing popped up, though. I feel like there's a story there.
I'm having a hard time reconciling these statements.

I'd love to have a Hatrack without Squick and Kat feeling the need to nip each other's noses.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

You are? Really?

That's a cheap shot to you?

Man, I wish I was popular.

---

When someone keeps on bringing up a non-sequitor, it puzzles me. That's all I was expressing. I don't even see how that could be saeen as an attack.

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I can agree with you there mph. However, as a comprimise I would ask that I at least not have to make some big show of it. Sounds like I am backing out of what I said, but I do know what a comprimise is.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She better leave me alone
I don't think that's REALLY what you want, BB...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I want you and kat to stop scratching at each other.

The two of you need to come to grips with the way that your behavior is damaging the community. Any time the two of you are together in the same thread, you fight. Every. Freaking. Time.

That ain't normal.

Have a taquito, and a time out.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
What Scott said. I went away a few hours ago, and I came back and said, wow, two more pages, what are people talking about? I was about to throw a little "stop fighting" tantrum, but it looks like things have chilled for the past 20 minutes or so.

If not, we might have to start in on clementines again here. Or taquitos, which are also yummy, and not seasonal.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I want a taquito. I want a taquito NOW. With ketchup and sour cream to dip it in.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What Uprooted said.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it KQ.. Now I want a taquito... with sour cream.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Would I show any more affection for a S.O. just because of that day? Why? If I love someone so much as a life partner, I should not make one single day more important than the rest. Every day is important.
Maybe because that day is more important to her than the rest.
Does that mean you also wouldn't celebrate her birthday? Or your anniversary?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

What? How in the world did you pull that out of my post? I think you've severely misunderstood my post.

I celebrate VDay with my wife.

I suggested a reason to treat VDay differently than any other day -- because perhaps his (hypothetical) honey doesn't view it as just any other day.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
No, I was referring to the original quote and got lazy, sorry. [Smile] I just didn't want to go all the way back and find it. [Group Hug]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Scott R, just warning you, you may want to run now. My husband's not going to be happy when he finds out that you are the one that started my taquito craving.
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh... Valentine's Day... And love is in the air... ; )

Who's bringing the taquitos??!! Can we shape them into hearts???

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
She better leave me alone
I don't think that's REALLY what you want, BB...
LOL, let me rephrase,

"She better leave my wallet alone etc..."

Believe me I had to learn to discipline my "habit of making impulsive buying decisions," when I got married. Now I have promptly learned to set aside all that money and put it in the, "Spoil my Spouse" fund.

Its a step in the right direction, but its not the end ideal [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Heart-shaped taquitos? Difficult. I did, however, make heart-shaped eggplant parmesan once. (It was for a Break-The-Fast with a V-day theme where we were all supposed to bring foods that were either pink, red, or heart-shaped in some way. I drew main dish-- I think everyone was glad that the two of us who drew main dish were the ones who could cook-- and so I brought that because it was fun, yummy, vegetarian, and both heart-shaped and red-- the sauce was red, anyway.)
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I want heart-shaped eggplant parmesan!

Okay--I want any kind of eggplant parmesan. However, I just had dinner, so I will supress the urge to run down to my local pizzeria w/ the yummy eggplant parmesan.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Taquitos are sort of like taco's but they're the little rolled up ones, right? Or am I way off?
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

No... [Confused]
On a couple of the sttiching boards I hang out on, we have a running... um... slang with regard to steak. And it fits rather well with the other half.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
Taquitos are sort of like taco's but they're the little rolled up ones, right?

Pretty much. But they're usually deep fried.
Link

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Yep - thanks rivka... That's what I was thinking of.

What if they were made from scratch?? Then you could do the heart shape... then throw some salsa with a little bit of sour cream in the middle of the heart... Or am I getting ahead of myself? : )

rivka
Member # 4859

Wouldn't trying to bend them into a shape squeeze out most of the filling?
katharina
Member # 827

You're right, Scott. I'm sorry. I swear, I'm going to put an "Ignore Squicky" post-it on my computer. Talking to him isn't good for Hatrack.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Scott R, just warning you, you may want to run now. My husband's not going to be happy when he finds out that you are the one that started my taquito craving.
I ain't a-skeered of him.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the way we're doing Valentine's Day. Because neither of us is really into holidays, we figure we'll just go out to dinner. After all, we go out to dinner on normal days.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Wouldn't trying to bend them into a shape squeeze out most of the filling?

Yes. Also, they are prone to breakage as it is, WITHOUT trying to bend them. And if they break, you're screwed, because they don't hold together and don't fry well.

Now, heart-shaped quesedillas are entirely do-able. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
quote:
quote:

No... [Confused]
On a couple of the sttiching boards I hang out on, we have a running... um... slang with regard to steak. And it fits rather well with the other half.
Ah. No, I was laughing because we're having steak for dinner tomorrow and, well. None of anyone's business.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.