FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any AFI fans on Hatrack?

Author Topic: Any AFI fans on Hatrack?
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I've liked AFI since a friend gave me the Decemberunderground CD last summer. I LIKED them. Not obsessive, like I am with Avenged Sevenfold, but I enjoyed listening to it, and always had it on my playlist.

Well, Friday night, AFI played a concert at Newport Music Hall across the street from the OSU campus, where I go to school. And I have one reaction to said concert:

I am now OBSESSED.

I saw Avenged Sevenfold in concert last May, as a birthday present. It was INCREDIBLE. But it was NOTHING compared to Friday night's concert. The sheer passion of the music made my cry, made me scream, gave me a rush of adrenaline so intense I thought I would explode. Their music in concert is even better than listening to the cd. I just... wow.

Just... wow.

Anyone else ever seen these guys, or listen to the music?

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
This is how I was with Project 86. I actually saw them twice in the same week.

The first show: was in a tent. A very crowded tent. There was so much energy and power. You could tell the band loved it as much as the crowd did. Probably the best concert of the week.

The second show: was on main stage. It was good. But I think Project 86 is better suited for smaller venues. They seem more powerful there.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"Probably the best concert of the week."

That's some high praise. [Wink]

I've never seen AFI live, but I've never been a big fan of their music. They write some cool songs, but they're nowhere near as talented as Avenged Sevenfold, IMO. I love Avenged Sevenfold, they're crazy good. Maybe AFI have great stage presence and are incredible performers but I don't think they're that musically talented. But that's just my $0.02.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
"Probably the best concert of the week."

That's some high praise. [Wink]

As far as Cornerstone standards go, that is some high praise. Either that show or Pillar's show at main stage gets the number one spot. The loser gets number two. And then The Wedding's first show gets the number three spot.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Avenged Sevenfold has the Guitar Gods going for them. Zacky and Brian... just wow.

AFI has better vocals. No offense to Matt, I love him dearly, but his voice has gotten VERY nasally, and it gets on my nerves when he tries to sing songs that aren't... screaming, or angry. Like at the end of MIA, he sounds like he's yawning, trying to hit the notes.

And I think AFI's lyrics are mroe powerful on a personal level- they're things I could imagine myself singing to someone at some point in my life, past or future, and in the case of This Time Imperfect, present. Avenged Sevenfold I relate to on a far mroe general level- some things I agree with, some I don't, but most of their music isn't suited to relate to personal experience, especially songs like Beast and the Harlot and Chapter Four.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm not really familiar with either band's work. However, I found the song "Miss Murder" by AFI to be one of the most annoying songs of last year.

However, I'm assuming other parts of the album were much better. Listening on iTunes, I can appreciate the song "Kill Caustic" much more.

I uusally avoid judging a band from singles alone. Few bands can pick songs that accurately represent their true sound.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"Avenged Sevenfold has the Guitar Gods going for them. Zacky and Brian... just wow."

That's for sure. I'm not sure which one is the lead guitarist, but that guy is like Dimebag Darrell reincarnated. The lead guitarist is freakin' amazing. Maybe you're right about the singers/lyrics. I don't really pay attention to those two much when it comes to this kind of music. I'm more interested in the instrumentation (is that a word? [Wink] ). I guess that's why I like Avenged alot more than AFI.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I never really dug AFI until Black Sails in the Sunset came out. That's when they really fell into a sound I could appreciate, before that they seemed so unfocused. Then the Art of Drowning came out and it was good but more of the same. It seemed to be trying too hard to turn each song into an epic. Nothing they have released since then has done much for me.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Q: You know a good band live?

A: REO Speedwagon. No joke. I helped set up their equipment for their show at the fair here a few years back. They were actually good still. And the roadies were super nice.

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Not the biggest fan of either band. I played an A7X song in a talent show, though.(Bat Country)A lot of technical precision, but I just couldn't get into it. As for AFI, I think that, like A7X, they have a couple of really good songs. A couple.

[ February 11, 2007, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Flaming Toad on a Stick ]

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
And Thornley pwns live.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Brian Haner Jr.(Synyster Gates) is lead guitar, Zacky Baker(Zacky Vengeance) is rhythm guitar. Brian's dad(Brian Haner Sr.) also plays part of the Flamenco duet in Sidewinder.

I actually really like Miss Murder. It didn't make any sense at all the first time I heard it, but then I watched the video, and when you relate it to Hitler, it starts making a whole lot more sense.

And yes, instrumentaion is a word, but I think what you're looking for is musicality, not instrumentation. Instrumentation is WHAT instruments are being used, musicality is HOW the instruments are used.

Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
Always been a big AFI fan. And what SteveRogers said above is certainly true: never trust a band's quality by the single you hear. That's why I listen to albums all the way through, whether they're old or newer ones.

I'm trying to get into Avenged Sevenfold; the first few songs I've heard are okay, but nothing that gets stuck in my head. I think I'll listen to one of their CDs tonight before bed.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.