FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shows in NY:

Author Topic: Shows in NY:
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I'ma be in NYC this weekend, Sunday + Monday, and am a huge, huge fan of musicals/live music/et cetra. Do any of you have of things I can see over the weekend, preferably for not so much $$?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
You could try TKTS and see what's available: http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56
Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
There's several sites you can check for discount codes to shows.

Broadway Box is one of my favorites, as is Theater Mania. The latter is really good for show listings in general, not just shows with discounts - there are a lot of smaller theatres that have regular-priced tickets for much less than Broadway.
Playbill has a list of discounts as well (look on the top of the menu on the left, under "Playbill Club").

I think these sites require free membership to get the discount codes, and I like getting email from them so I haven't tried bugmenot on them, but it might work. Most, if not all, the shows should allow you to pick the tickets up at will-call if you get them online, or you can print the page with the code and take it to the box office in person. Given that it's a weekend, though, you can't be sure that seats will still be open if you wait till the day of to do this. On Mondays, most of the shows will be dark, but there are some that take advantage of this and are closed on Tuesdays instead. I think Phantom of the Opera does this, but I'm not sure who else does off the top of my head.

Any of those three sites will have discounts to a lot of the bigger Broadway and Off-Broadway shows. And if you really want to save money and be more adventurous, you could check out the Off-Off experimental shows that are often $25 or less. For example, Richard Foreman's latest show, Wake Up Mr Sleepy! Your Unconscious Mind is Dead! is $23 ($17 for students). Foreman is definitely not your standard-style theatre, though.

Too bad I'm working all weekend - otherwise I'd volunteer to go see a show with you. I haven't really seen much of this season's new shows yet, but if you have any show-specific questions, I'm happy to help if I can. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow; stuff to check out. Pity I'm so terrible at being organized, but thanks for the ideas! ^^;;
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.