FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Left Leg Woes

Author Topic: My Left Leg Woes
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
So, it all started with a little, tiny patch on the "inside" part of my left calf. It was a little bumpy and itchy. I wasn't too worried, however, because I've had similar patches on my upper arms and they always went away so...

As time went on, however, the patch grew and never went away. It was just a little spot, now it kind of dominates that part of my leg. Its mostly reddish, now, and a little enflamed. It almost reaches my knee. And it really itches.

Plus, lately, my left foot has easily become pained. Its like the pain you get when you've been on your feet all day, only it doesn't take nearly so long, and its worse. Since I am on my feet all day, it makes me very very sad. Its kind of centered around, well, the center of my foot. Almost as if I needed to pop it, you know?

In addition, the area around my kneeish has been hurting. I felt around the area and I have what feels like a knot on the side of my "knee-pit."

Anyone knows what this could be? I don't have health insurance (although I should get some soon, I hope), so I can't really go to a doctor. Any suggestions? Questions? Should I be nervous? Is it okay?

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I am NOT medically trained, but that "knot on the side of my knee pit" sounds like a swollen poplateal lymph node, which indicates that there is some sort of infection along with the new symptom of inflammation and the old symptoms of redness, bumps, and itching.

And your description of the condition could be caused by so many things that a physician must examine you just to eliminate most of them before making a preliminary diagnosis. Some are very serious if left untreated.
You really really really ought to bite the bullet and visit a medical clinic or private physician.
Depending on where you live, there may be free clinics within commuting distance. And darn near all of the commercial clinics and private practices will examine you and set up a reasonable repayment schedule if you press them to do so.

As a last*resort, go to an emergency room. They must treat you there even if you can't pay.

All that said, "bumpy and itchy" and "had similar patches on my upper arms and they always went away" combined with your description of your foot pain suggests that you may have shingles, with a possibly serious secondary infection from scratching or broken skin causing the inflammation and lymph node swelling.

But I am NOT medically trained. PLEASE visit a physician.

* "As a last resort" because emergency rooms will bill you. Often at a FAR higher rate than private medical clinics and practices.
And their bill will show up in credit reports (though it won't be nearly as damaging as unpaid non-medical bills). And be passed on to a collection agency if left unpaid.
Despite their possible bullying tactics, a collection agency can't do much about unpaid medical bills unless&until you are earning significantly more than a poverty level income, or are living as if you do. And you have meaningful legal protections against collection agency harassment.

[ February 17, 2007, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Rule The First regarding posting medical threads:

95% of the time, the correct response is GO SEE A DOCTOR!

As aspectre already told you, this is one of those times.

GIT!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Public Health Clinics in Oklahoma City:

Community Health Centers, Inc.
12716 N.E. 36Th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73140-0589
Phone: 405-769-3301

Oklahoma Community Health Services Inc.
1025 Straka Terrace
Oklahoma City, OK 73139-2544
Phone: 405-632-6688 X229

You need to call them. They each also have some outlying clinics, one may be closer to you. They can refer you as to where and when to go in.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the doctor (it was unfortunately before I saw your information, kq, but I thank you for it, anyway). She just said it was an infection. I'm supposed to put an antibiotic cream on it, plus take some antibiotic pills. I was also instructed to put Vaseline on it, plus this steroid cream to help heal it once the infection itself is gone.

And if it doesn't get better fairly soon I need to go back ASAP in case its something serious...

So...

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're getting it treated. [Smile] Good luck.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.