FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Watching

Author Topic: Watching
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to my ex-girlfriend, and she said one of the things that she could never get over was that it seemed like a major part of me wasn't actually there, that it was off somewhere, watching.

I kind of take this for granted, that most of me is observing from space rather than interacting. I think it's because I don't quite understand humans and human behavior, so I watch most of the time in an effort to learn.

It's good for writing, I'll admit, that I'm always a bit distant. But I think I thought everyone was like that.

Apparentley, it's unusual. Does anyone else here do this?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told the exact same thing--that I'm constantly observing the situation and what people are doing rather than being a part of it. It's a good thing because it allows you to observe and check yourself in any situation. It's a bad thing socially if you don't break out of the shell and just live in the present--not thinking, but doing. If you really want to understand human behavior, it'll help you to stop thinking about it and start DOING it.

At least that's what I've learned.

~fellow watcher

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
People seem to think doers are more interesting than watchers. Claudius disagreed.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm incapable of watching. I dive headlong into everything and get totally invested, which means I have way more to lose, emotionally, in everything I do.

May be why I'm more susceptible to horror movies than most of my peers. I can't distance myself from situations.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do that a lot, but now I'm more like Rat Named Dog.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I also used to do that a lot, but it got lonely... Now I wouldn't say that I'm like Rat, but I do participate in my own life a lot more, and it's much more interesting. And being involved is also good for writing, because it's easier to be realistic when writing about an emotion or situation that you have actually experienced, as opposed to one that you've watched somone experience.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.