FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Peace Corps

Author Topic: Peace Corps
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother and her friends went to a Peace Corps orientation and came back with a lot of documentation about the whole thing.

Has anyone here been a Peace Corp-er? What were your experiences?

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who wants to do this after she graduates high school.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Your *mother* is considering joining the Peace Corp? Wow.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend spent two years in Jamaica after college as a Peace Corps volunteer. She liked it. Another friend's parents (in their 60s) are in Peace Corps right now. They are having a great time.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to an orientation as well and strongly considered it, but ended up volunteering short-term w/ another organization instead. Peace Corps seems like it's doing a lot of really cool stuff. Keep us posted about whether she decides to join!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been semi-to-seriously planning on applying for a few years. I wouldn't be able to do it for at least a few more years, but it's something I'm very interested in.

There are a couple PC communities on LiveJournal that I lurk at, and there's also a Yahoo group that I haven't checked out yet, but apparently it's even larger than the LJ ones.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to an orientation, but I don't think it's my thing. I'm leaning more towards LanguageCorps if anything.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, not sure if your friend knows this but, she might not be accepted without a degree. You can't just jump into the Peace Corps without the proper experience.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
A good friend of mine is going to Ghana in the summer, and plans to go into the Peace Corps after she graduates from college in a year.

She's excited about it, though the Ghana volunteer thing is going to cost her a lot of money.

Usually they expect you to have some skills, either in teaching English or engineering, I think.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm not sure if my mother is going, I got the impression she just wanted to learn about it.

Either way, I need to finish my BA if I'm going to have any sort of qualifications. An AA degree is ok, but I haven't done any sort of "teaching" in years. Not sure jumping into a classroom would be er...the best thing at this point.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.