FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HPMF = Florence's Mirembe School (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: HPMF = Florence's Mirembe School
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Thank you guys so much for picking someone this month. I always have the hardest time choosing, so I totally want to leave that part to y'all. Hegemon, I liked your choice a lot. When I went to loan to her, she was already fully funded, so I guess that's a good thing.

MidnightBlue, no amount of money is too small. You can send $5 or even $1. It all adds up in the end. [Smile] I liked your choice too, particularly since she's in Guayaquil, Ecuador, a city I adored when I visited there.

Deany, you also chose someone really good. It was hard for me to pick between them, but finally I chose your person, Arzukhanim Bayramova, because the other lady looked just a little more prosperous and middle class, and her product was just a bit less vital to life. There was not any huge difference between them, but I had to pick so I went with my gut.

So for August, we loaned $150 to Arzukhanim Bayramova in Azerbaijan for her cattle breeding business. Our kiva lender page is here and a screenshot of as much of our current portfolio as would fit on one screen is here.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Feb 2007: $275 to Jose Dolores Ramos Cruz in Chihuahua Mexico for his grocery store.
Mar 2007: $125 to Nora Topeto in Samoa for her flea market stand.
Apr 2007: $100 to Laurette Abia in Ivory Coast for her cassava cakes business.
May 2007: $100 to Jecinta Muthoni Kamau in Kenya for her produce stand in an open air market.
Jun 2007: $350 to Elisa Amarilla Dominguez in Paraguay for her in-home grocery store.
Jul 2007: $150 to Arzukhanim Bayramova in Salyan region, Azerbaijan for her cattle breeding business.

I think we've done some good in the world. [Smile] I wish someone would make a HPMF map with a pin in each spot that our borrowers live. Then we could see how farflung our influence is. Does anyone know how to do that?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Dear jatraqueros del mundo,

The business you have loaned to, Emily's Grocery / Despensa Emily, has made a repayment of $67.00. The total amount repaid up to now is $67.00. The payment was collected and deposited by Fundación Paraguaya. This repayment will be divided amongst all the lenders who helped to fund this business, depending upon the percentage each lender contributed. Note that you cannot actually withdraw or reloan these funds until after the loan term is complete.Comment:

scheduled_repayment

To view your Kiva loan portfolio go to:
http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=account

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
I think we've done some good in the world. [Smile] I wish someone would make a HPMF map with a pin in each spot that our borrowers live. Then we could see how farflung our influence is. Does anyone know how to do that?

If you have more exact address information, Frappr would probably work.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I just have the cities and countries. I will look this weekend maybe and see if I can set it up. I think that would be cool, don't you?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Almost a week into August, it starts off with $75. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh, and congratulations on six months of the jatraquero kiva fund! Time flies, doesn't it?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

This is an update on Cassava cakes selling written by Fahan Bamba:

Laurette Abia is performing very well in her cassava cake business. She has purchased a new gas furnace to increase her productivity and abandon the use of

charcoal.

Kiva very much appreciates your responses online. You can read and respond to this journal online at:
http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=comment&id=9864&ent=18018

Some of our partners choose to write their journal entries in the local language in order to keep their overhead low. If this journal entry is in a foreign language, please feel free to use an online translator such as Altavista's Babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com).

Thanks!

-- Kiva Staff

Tatiana
Member # 6776

The business you have loaned to, Jecinta Muthoni Kamau, has made a repayment of $27.00. The total amount repaid up to now is $54.00. The payment was collected and deposited by Ebony Foundation (Eb-F). This repayment will be divided amongst all the lenders who helped to fund this business, depending upon the percentage each lender contributed. Note that you cannot actually withdraw or reloan these funds until after the loan term is complete. Comment:

scheduled_repayment

Tatiana
Member # 6776

The business you have loaned to, Flea Market, has made a repayment of $84.00. The total amount repaid up to now is $336.00. The payment was collected and deposited by South Pacific Business Development. This repayment will be divided amongst all the lenders who helped to fund this business, depending upon the percentage each lender contributed. Note that you cannot actually withdraw or reloan these funds until after the loan term is complete. Comment:

scheduled_repayment

Tatiana
Member # 6776

This is an update on Cattle breeding:

Thank you for your loan. It has been disbursed to Arzukhanim Bayramova by Komak Credit Union in Azerbaijan. We are excited to watch this business grow. Over the next 12 - 18 months, Komak Credit Union will be collecting repayments from this entrepreneur and posting progress updates on the Kiva website.

Kiva very much appreciates your responses online. You can read and respond to this journal online at:
http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=comment&id=14642&ent=18379

Some of our partners choose to write their journal entries in the local language in order to keep their overhead low. If this journal entry is in a foreign language, please feel free to use an online translator such as Altavista's Babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com).

Thanks!

-- Kiva Staff

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yay! We're up to $90 for August. Keep those contributions coming. =)
Tatiana
Member # 6776

The business you have loaned to, Cassava cakes selling, has made a repayment of $46.00. The total amount repaid up to now is $138.00. The payment was collected and deposited by Afrique Emergence & Investissements. This repayment will be divided amongst all the lenders who helped to fund this business, depending upon the percentage each lender contributed. Note that you cannot actually withdraw or reloan these funds until after the loan term is complete. Comment:

scheduled_repayment

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Since July made six months of the Hatrack Perpetual Microfinance fund, (an important anniversary), I started adding cells to the spreadsheet to give us some overall totals, and I thought I would share it with you guys.

The grand total the fund has handled, including credit card fees and donations to kiva.org to cover their operating expenses (I pay for those), and counting twice that money from that first loan that was paid off that we then loaned back out is ..... (drumroll) ..... $1257.50

The total credit card fees and donations to kiva (I pay 100% of those) is (edited) $57.50.

So, the total amount we've loaned out, still counting twice the money paid back and reloaned is $1100.00 (Edit: We have $100 currently in the fund for the month of August, to be loaned at the end of the month. I knew something wasn't quite right with the fees and donations seeming too high before. [Smile] )

$275 of that was paid back and reloaned one time, so the fund total of the loans we currently have out, which will continue to circulate to help more entrepreneurs, amounts to $825.

In a few years I expect this will build up to several times this amount. The amazingly cool thing about kiva is that the same money recirculates doing more good each time. As the system of field partners grows, we'll be able to help people from more parts of the world, too. Already in the past 9 months that I've been making kiva loans, they've expanded into eastern Europe, then Cambodia, Thailand, spread into many more parts of Africa and South America. I expect that to continue in the next few years until the whole world is covered.

Anyway, I want to congratulate you guys on six months of building something that matters, that will continue to help people pull themselves up by their bootstraps, all over the world.

And I want to continue to challenge all of you to make some regular contribution, be it ever so small. We have one donor who wishes to remain anonymous who gives $50 each month, and another who is very consistent with $15 a month. These make the greatest difference to the fund. Please consider giving $5 a month or $10 or $25 or even $1 and I know it will quickly add up. Thanks for being a part of this! I think it's awesome what we've done. [Smile]

[ August 27, 2007, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Hegemon
Member # 370

- posted      Profile for Hegemon           Edit/Delete Post 
aka, thanks for being so diligent with this. It's been impressive to watch.

Out of curiosity, how do the credit card fees work? Is it a percentage or a flat fee for each transaction?

Posts: 295 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

It's a percentage. I think it's 4%. It never amounts to much, so I just pay it.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I am going through soem ID stuff, and cash is tough. My pay takes a big jump right before the holidays though, so I might be able to do something special then.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Kwea, that would be great! [Smile] Good luck with your cash crunch.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, it's September 1. Time for August's loan to be made. Anyone want to pick?
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got some a little bit of money in my old Paypal account, so I'm sending it your way. Keep up the good work!
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Awesome! Thanks, Nato! Do you want it to go toward August that we're about to loan out or to start out September? I think it should be September, since it's already the 1st. Does that work for you? That gives us something to start on. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

What do you guys think about this guy, Fru Donatus Chi in Cameroon? He wants to start a motorcycle transport business.

Another possibility would be Madeleine Lou for her food store in Ivory Coast.

Any preference?

Nato
Member # 1448

Put mine toward September, and both of those possibilities were ones that I was looking at. I'd vote for Fru because he has a great name. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, let's do Fru! [Smile] One thing I like about him is that his business type and his location are both new to our portfolio, so we're diversifying. [Smile] Plus we tend to loan to females more than males, and while I think that's a good thing to try to offset some of the power imbalance by gender in the third world, I don't like to exclude males altogether, since they have many worthy businesses in need of loans.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Here we go! Our August loan was for $100 to Fru Donatus Chi in Alabukam, Mankon, NW. Province, Cameroon, for him to start a motorcycle taxi business.

"Fru was born in 1970 and is a father of two. Relying on crop cultivation as his sole source of income was not sufficient to provide for his family. He thought of expanding his activities by selling firewood but lacked the capital. This pushed him to join GHAPE, where he received his first loans of $40 and $120 in 2005 and 2006 respectively. These loans empowered him to sell firewood, which is a necessary source of energy, as well as raise money to provide for his family's basic needs."

Now he's asking for $600 to buy a motorcycle to start a taxi service. It sounds like a good business with the potential to earn him a good income as well as pay back the loan.

The portfolio pages have been expanded to give more information spread across more pages. Here's a screen capture of one of our profile pages showing our statistics and the new guy.

Nato
Member # 1448

I think that one day we could create a world without banks. Given the current lending troubles in the subprime realty market, that kind of future seems even more desirable. I think "peer-to-peer" microloans are much better than for-profit bank loans.

Before long (unless it is blocked), the people will be able to construct a financial network to transfer money directly between one another, without paying corporations for the privilege. We might have to build our own Internet to get it done, but I think it could be considerably more efficient than a proprietary network anyway.

We won't be able to get to that point for a while, but I think Kiva is a good way to start. [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:

We are fine...it's not the cash so much (although it made for a lean two weeks) as all the credit issues now. Right before I try to buy my home too (maybe).

[Frown]

I know...I should apply for a loan!

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:

We are fine...it's not the cash so much (although it made for a few lean weeks) as all the credit issues now. Right before I try to buy my home too (maybe).

[Frown]

I know...I should apply for a loan!

[Wink]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

The business you have loaned to, Emily's Grocery / Despensa Emily, has made a repayment of $67.00. The total amount repaid up to now is $134.00. The payment was collected and deposited by Fundación Paraguaya. This repayment will be divided amongst all the lenders who helped to fund this business, depending upon the percentage each lender contributed. Note that you cannot actually withdraw or reloan these funds until after the loan term is complete. Comment:

scheduled_repayment

To view your Kiva loan portfolio go to:
http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=account

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Kwea, lol! Things are terrible right now in the mortgage credit sector! No wonder you're having trouble. Silly lenders went too far one direction and now they're overcorrecting. [Frown] Hopefully it will be straightened out soon.
Kwea
Member # 2199

We will see. I heard something about FHA stepping up. I will have to read more about it, I guess.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana and everyone who's contributed: I think it's great that you're doing this, makes me proud to be part of Hatrack. I haven't contributed yet, but I'm looking toward the day when I feel I can.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Uprooted, thanks! Hatrack is awesome, isn't it? [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

All right all you jatraqueros and jatraqueras, it is the ides of September and we have $90 for this month's loan. It's time to step up to the plate and get behind the eight ball. We're in the starting blocks and ready to hit a home run. It's time to get the ball rolling and throw sports metaphors around like hotcakes.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

The business you have loaned to, Jecinta Muthoni Kamau, has made a repayment of $27.00. The total amount repaid up to now is $81.00. The payment was collected and deposited by Ebony Foundation (Eb-F). This repayment will be divided amongst all the lenders who helped to fund this business, depending upon the percentage each lender contributed. Note that you cannot actually withdraw or reloan these funds until after the loan term is complete. Comment:

scheduled_repayment

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! When do you think we'll be able to start recycling our loans?
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

We already had one paid back, the first one we made.

Our five active loans now are these:
code:
        Nora Topeto			Flea Market 				$125.00 	$42.00 	Apr 17, 2007	12 months
Laurette Abia Cassava cakes selling $100.00 $25.09 May 20, 2007 12 months
Jecinta Muthoni Kamau Jecinta Muthoni Kamau $100.00 $14.73 Jun 16, 2007 21 months
Elisa Amarilla Dominguez Emily's Grocery / Despensa Emily $350.00 $58.63 Jul 2, 2007 12 months
Arzukhanim Bayramova Cattle breeding $150.00 $0.00 Aug 17, 2007 12 months

As you can see, they're all for periods of 12 months or longer. So it will probably be at least next spring before we start getting loans paid off almost every month. Emily's Grocery, the one that we loaned $350 to, was loaned the $275 that we got paid back from our very first loan, plus $75 that we collected during the month.

The one that's most recent hasn't been disbursed yet.
code:
   	  Fru Donatus Chi	motor bike taxi 	$100.00 	$600.00 	Sep 2, 2007 	18 months

It's for 18 months. Some of these might be paid off early, though.

My personal kiva fund that I started in November of 2006 gets loans paid off nearly every month now. I have 42 people total that I've loaned to. I guess since I loan smaller amounts to people with small requests, the loans tend to be shorter term as well. A lot of my personal ones have 6 month terms.

[ September 16, 2007, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

The business you have loaned to, Cattle breeding, has made a repayment of $40.00. The total amount repaid up to now is $40.00. The payment was collected and deposited by Komak Credit Union. This repayment will be divided amongst all the lenders who helped to fund this business, depending upon the percentage each lender contributed. Note that you cannot actually withdraw or reloan these funds until after the loan term is complete. Comment:

scheduled_repayment

Tatiana
Member # 6776

The business you have loaned to, Flea Market, has made a repayment of $84.00. The total amount repaid up to now is $420.00. The payment was collected and deposited by South Pacific Business Development. This repayment will be divided amongst all the lenders who helped to fund this business, depending upon the percentage each lender contributed. Note that you cannot actually withdraw or reloan these funds until after the loan term is complete. Comment:

scheduled_repayment

Tatiana
Member # 6776

The business you have loaned to, Cassava cakes selling, has made a repayment of $46.00. The total amount repaid up to now is $184.00. The payment was collected and deposited by Afrique Emergence & Investissements. This repayment will be divided amongst all the lenders who helped to fund this business, depending upon the percentage each lender contributed. Note that you cannot actually withdraw or reloan these funds until after the loan term is complete. Comment:

scheduled_repayment

Tatiana
Member # 6776

This is an update on Flea Market written by Shane Xu:

Nora runs a store in front of a local supermarket. She started by selling a limited range of items such as hair clippers and sunglasses. Her loan enabled her to stock a wider range of goods for which she knew there was demand. Her store now also stocks earrings, bracelets, necklaces, and torches among other things. Business is very good with her mother helping to run the store six days a week. Nora uses her profits to purchase more stock, and pay for her children’s education. She is also saving money for the purchase of a taxi for her husband to drive.

http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=comment&id=6335&ent=21756

Thanks!

-- Kiva Staff

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, it's the end of September and we have $90 to loan. I will round it up to $100 since we can only loan in $25 increments. Anyone want to pick someone?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

"Due to a recent surge in support ignited by viewers of the Oprah Winfrey Show, the Today Show, and readers of President Clinton's newly released book Giving, there is currently a shortage of businesses in need of loans. The Kiva.org staff and our Field Partners are working overtime to get more businesses on the website. In the meantime, thank you for your patience!"

I'm not crazy about any of the 9 businesses that are the only ones up on the board at the moment. What should we do? I think maybe we should delay a little while on loaning out our September loan and see if someone we like comes up. Or if someone else can find someone they like, or if they have another idea, I'm open to hear it.

It's great that kiva is so well funded now. Eventually poverty will be something bad we used to have that we got rid of, like smallpox. But I think waiting a week for someone good to pop up isn't a bad idea. What do you guys think?

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I found someone I like.

Isha Kamara in Magburaka, Tonkolili, Sierra Leone needed money for her food market. So we lent her $100 and gave another $10 to kiva for their operating expenses.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
They've got some more people up now as well. I gave to Bih Alian Ngang in Cameroon for food production/sales.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

She looks really good! I notice they have 5 pages of businesses up tonight. That's how it always happens when they get publicity. For a few days it's hard to find someone to loan to, then it tapers off at a new higher level. I'd love it if kiva were able to loan to people in all parts of the developing world. Someday they will. I really think we're going to make poverty a thing of the past. Wouldn't that be a marvelous accomplishment?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

The business you have loaned to, Emily's Grocery / Despensa Emily, has made a repayment of $67.00. The total amount repaid up to now is $201.00. The payment was collected and deposited by Fundación Paraguaya. This repayment will be divided amongst all the lenders who helped to fund this business, depending upon the percentage each lender contributed. Note that you cannot actually withdraw or reloan these funds until after the loan term is complete. Comment:

scheduled_repayment

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Starting out October with $75. Let us hear from you, hatrackers. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Nearly halfway through October. Anyone? I'm in the hospital getting MRAs and MRIs and TEEs and peeing in a bucket. [Smile] I'm saving my little pill cups and feeding the pigeons out the window with my toast and crackers and stuff they keep bringing me that I can't eat.

That stuff has nothing to do with kiva, I just thought I'd tell you guys about it. Thank goodness they have wireless internet here and Alysson the angel brought my laptop. [Smile]

Every month so far we've had at least one contribution on top of the regular $75 that we get every month. I'm counting on you guys to come through again in October. [Smile]

We're ending poverty and stuff, guys. We rawk. Go kiva!

Edit: home from the hospital now, yay! I got them to let me go. MRI and MRA negative. <big smile of relief>

[ October 14, 2007, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

This is an update on Isha Kamara:

Thank you for your loan. It has been disbursed to Isha Kamara by CCF - Salone Microfinance Trust in Sierra Leone. We are excited to watch this business grow. Over the next 10 - 16 months, CCF - Salone Microfinance Trust will be collecting repayments from this entrepreneur and posting progress updates on the Kiva website.

http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=comment&id=19766&ent=24156

Thanks!

-- Kiva Staff

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.