FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OpenCola

Author Topic: OpenCola
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
An open source version of Coca Cola, originally intended as a promotion tool for open source software. Aparently the company which released it is out of business.

The recipe: HTML, PDF

Judging by the prices of the ingredients, this is not an ideal product for cottage industry entrepreneurs.

I'll be content with my Classic Coca Cola ®.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Art-grade Gum Arabic is toxic. It will make you ill. You'll be sad. We'll be sad.
[ROFL]
quote:
Caffeine can kill people in relatively small doses. The median lethal dose for an adult human is around 10 grams, or approximately one third of an ounce. Don't yield to the temptation to create a “Super-Jolt™ ” adding tons and tons of the white stuff to you cola, our you'll be in a world of hurt.
[Eek!]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Oh yeah, perhaps an "I'd rather you didn't try this at home" notice is in order.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm sure I can find schematics for a thermonuclear device, too. I wouldn't recommend doing that on your own either.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, IF you heed all their warnings, doing it at home is safe. Failing to heed the warnings makes you eligible for the Darwin Awards. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this in honor of the guys who were convicted for trying to sell the Coke formula to Pepsi?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Open-source Coca Cola. How very cool. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Is this in honor of the guys who were convicted for trying to sell the Coke formula to Pepsi?

Don't think so. All the blog entry in the OP says about its origins is:

quote:
Although originally intended as a promotional tool to explain open source software, the drink has taken on a life of its own. The Toronto-based OpenCola company has become better known for the drink than the software it was supposed to promote.
Edit: grammar

[ February 19, 2007, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of that Free (as in speach) Beer company.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Neat. I had a hard time reading that page though; the colours hurt my eyes.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like if you skip the caffeine, use citric acid rather than phosphoric, and don't get the oils on your skin, the worst you're likely to do is brew up something that tastes awful.

I've made root beer and ginger ale before; I'm curious. But I'm not in a hurry to rush out and pay $50 (even $50 canadian) for 5 ml of an essential oil.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.