FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The word "pal"

Author Topic: The word "pal"
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this word bother anyone else?

I just got off the phone with one of the agents I deal with, and he routinely ends phone calls by saying "Thanks, pal."

It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

To me, the word "pal" has always had negative vibes, I think. It conjures images of NY cab drivers saying "Hey pal! Get out of the way!" or the newfound friends of a lotto winner saying "Heyyy pal... can you spare me a couple bucks?" or a busy shopowner saying "Listen, pal, I don't have time for you right now."

It rings with falseness, somehow. It's supposed to mean someone you're friendly with, but it's normally used in an impersonal way for someone you don't know from a hole in the wall.

Am I alone in this?

(As an aside, I have another agent who uses the word "friend" in place of "pal" - so, it's "Thanks, friend." Smacks just as false, to me. But then again, maybe it's because I'm dealing with insurance agents. [Dont Know] )

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem I have with words like these is the false intimacy implied in such situations. I regard "friend" and its synonyms as words that are too strong to be applied to me by someone I've just met or with whom I have only a formal business relationship. I think that kind of chummy behavior from someone who hasn't earned it shows a distinct lack of respect and is therefore insulting.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Flying Cow: Me and my best friend love the words, "pal" and "buddy" because they are so misleading.

If English was not my first language I would be quite confused if somebody angrily said to me, "Hey buddy, you better watch where your goin!"

In Australia they could likely say, "Hey mate, you better watch it."

But I've never heard of any other language other then English where the word is used but the context changes everything.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you say, pal.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I think "pal" has been used so often in a negative light that it has lost all positive meaning, though.

"Pal" has almost come to mean "person whom you are not really friendly with" or "person who you are friendly with but who you are trying to ingratiate yourself with for ulterior motives."

I have a hard time thinking of scenarios where "pal" actually means friend - at least as used in the most recent three generations or so.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, buddy, watch it.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Flying Cow: Have you seen the Lion King?

What did you think Simba meant when he said, "Dad, we're pals right? And we will never be separated ever right?"

No ambiguity in that script if you ask me. But I agree when you said, "pal" I immediately thought of Home Alone where Harry says to Kevin, "Hiya Palll!"

Pal definitely seems to have mostly lost its positive spin, you can thank New York taxi cap drivers for it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

You know, I have a lot less negative feeling towards the plural "pals" than the singular "pal".

I mean, I can see someone saying "I thought you two were pals?" or "He went out with a few of his pals" or even "What are pals for?"

Somehow the plural makes it more inclusive and communal, whereas directing "pal" at someone as a label just seems false.

camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I only find it to be negative when it is spoken directly to me. However, it's different when it's third person. For example, I will sometimes refer to friends as buddies or pals. Likewise, if I'm referred to in the third person as a buddy or pal, I probably wouldn't be upset or take offense.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
"You're a real pal".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe "pal" can be short for "paladin". Which suddenly makes it much cooler, no?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it can be short for "paliative". That would be sweet!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
What? As in, "Have you seen my pal, Morphine?"
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

If it's short for paladin, it's even worse. At least in the World of Warcraft sense. [/pally hate]
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
chill, mate.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What? As in, "Have you seen my pal, Morphine?"
No, think a little older. The word means cloak, cover up or hide to make everything all better. I was think more of a blankie or a sugar tit.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
But I've never heard of any other language other then English where the word is used but the context changes everything.

Maybe you just don't know enough other languages. [Razz] English is by no means unique in that regard. In fact, I'd be surprised to learn of a language where no word changes its meaning based on context.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

Pues, pues pues.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Maybe you just don't know enough other languages. [Razz] English is by no means unique in that regard. In fact, I'd be surprised to learn of a language where no word changes its meaning based on context.
Examples, Examples?

I know Chinese, and in my experience nobody who is Chinese uses "friend" or "buddy" in that context.

If I said it literally in Chinese using any word that denotes familiarity they would probably think they had misheard me or that I was crazy.

Pretty sure Japanese and Korean are the same way.

Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Pal pal pal.

Now the word sounds really weird.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
You should live in the north of England. Everyone calls total strangers 'love', 'pet' or 'darlin'. Which, when you think about it, seems even more fake-intimate. It bothered me at first, and then I got over it.

I think endearments are mostly used to disarm. Only when they're used by sleazy people, do they become sleazy by association.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
You know when you say a word too much and it loses all meaning and all you can do is think about the sound of the word? Well pal is a really ugly word; you kind of have to spit it out at someone. It makes a much better pejorative than anything else.

My father used to refer to everyone (including me) as ‘buddy’ when he got mad (and drunk), it completely ruined the word for me and now I can’t hear it without cringing.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
You know when you say a word too much and it loses all meaning and all you can do is think about the sound of the word? Well pal is a really ugly word; you kind of have to spit it out at someone. It makes a much better pejorative than anything else.

My father used to refer to everyone (including me) as ‘buddy’ when he got mad (and drunk), it completely ruined the word for me and now I can’t hear it without cringing.

[Frown] My best friend and I call each other dude all the time, and refer to each other as buddy,

Wouldn't say, "You ready to go buddy?" Dude would fit in there. But I would say, "I thought you were my good buddy, why won't you go to the airport with me dude?"

I like the word buddy, but I agree with you that pal almost sounds more like a pejorative then a term of endearment. Definitely not a nice sounding word.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I like "buddy" in the context of "Hey, buddy, let's watch the game at a bar this weekend." I rarely ever say "pal." In fact, now that you made me think about it, I can't actually remember the last time I've used the word out loud. Maybe I'll start... [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I think words like 'friend' or 'buddy' can echo falseness, but a lot of the time they are just a convention of etiquette; an expression of good will. Unless the person's body language runs contrary to what's coming out of their mouth, I'd generally regard a stranger who refers to me as 'mate' (or 'bro,' depending on which suburb I'm in) as just being friendly.

So long as this convention doesn't dilute the actual meaning of the word, I'm fine with it.

I've never met anyone who uses 'pal' though.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I call Mooselet "pal." He's the only one, as far as I know. It's weird even to think of calling anyone else (especially a stranger) by that.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
FlyingCow, I feel just the same way as you about "pal" (and, interestingly, I'm much more okay with "pals").
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't say pal, either way. I do use "buddy" and "dude" a lot with my friends.

quote:
Word History: Pal, like buddy and chum, has an informal, thoroughly "American" ring to it. Its source, though, is rather unusual—Romany, the Indic language of the Gypsies. First recorded in English in the 17th century, pal was borrowed from a Romany word meaning "brother, comrade," which occurs as phal in the Romany spoken in England and phral in the Romany spoken in Europe. Gypsies speak an Indic language because they originally migrated to Europe from the border region between Iran and India. In other Indic languages we find related words meaning "brother," such as Hindustani bhāi and Prakrit bhāda or bhāyā; they all come from Sanskrit bhrātā, which in turn traces its ancestry to the same Indo-European word that our word brother does.
So I guess it's more like when Desmond in LOST says "Stop there, or I'll blow your head off brother!"
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
You should live in the north of England. Everyone calls total strangers 'love', 'pet' or 'darlin'. Which, when you think about it, seems even more fake-intimate. It bothered me at first, and then I got over it.

I think endearments are mostly used to disarm. Only when they're used by sleazy people, do they become sleazy by association.

Along those lines, I hate it when people call me "Hon" (as in honey) or "Sweetie" or some other false affectionate when speaking to me. It's so fake, and I greatly dislike that.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They use "darlin" in northern England?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill O'Reilly seems to like using 'pal' in a condescending tone, from the little I've heard him speak.

I guess you could say that it carries a condescending tone easier than other synonyms might.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Anything Bill O'Reilly says carries a condescending tone, don't single out one word.

[Smile]

Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
Examples, Examples?

I know Chinese, and in my experience nobody who is Chinese uses "friend" or "buddy" in that context.

If I said it literally in Chinese using any word that denotes familiarity they would probably think they had misheard me or that I was crazy.

Pretty sure Japanese and Korean are the same way.

I don't mean to sound doubtful but how well do you know Chinese? Is it your native language?

as for myself, I can certainly confirm that words change their meaning depending on the context in Polish, I can even think of a number of equivalents for "pal" that would behave in the way that's described here.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I thought BlackBlade grew up in Hong Kong. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.
Kama
Member # 3022

ok [Smile]

I was just curious -- that's one of the nuances of speech you might not notice unless you're very fluent in a language.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
For my part, I could give examples of words in Japanese that change their meaning depending on context. As far as I know, the Japanese don't use any of their words for "friend" in the way being described here, but there are plenty of words that do carry different nuances when used in different ways. I don't know about Chinese, but I would be very surprised to learn that any language completely lacked such a feature.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.