FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » George Takei VS Tim Hardaway (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: George Takei VS Tim Hardaway
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Warning: Its a bit racy, but nothing you wouldn't see on day time television.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA20dKc3kK8
^^

I'm sorry but I was honestly taken completely by surprise with Takei's take on Hardaway's rude remarks, I laughed pretty hard.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
What an awesome video. Good work George!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I have a number of people I have to share that link with.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said this elsewhere, but I like the fact that Takei chose to respond to Hardaway's remarks with a humorous video. In a way this defuses the situation and exposes Hardaway as the bigot he is, with a sense of finality that an indignant press release wouldn't afford. Takei does however, have a bizarre sense of humour. His laugh at the end of the video wierded me out!
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

[ROFL]

That was great!

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Although I like the idea of a humorous response, threatening rape doesn't seem like a very good response to hateful, bigoted commentary.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

he didn't threaten rape....he threatened "sex", "when you least expect it".

it's more of a happy surprise. [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Which pretty much implies no consent. Which is rape.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I love George Takei.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

<---failed attempt at humour
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Surprise sex is not the same as rape, rape is no laughing matter, unless you're being raped by a clown, then it's ok to giggle, 'cause come on, it's funny.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Surprise sex is not the same as rape
Surprise sex, by definition, has no explicit consent. Therefore, it is rape when there's no established sexual relationship of a sort to create a reasonable expectation of consent (and in some states, even this wouldn't be enough).

Such a relationship would clearly not exist if the sex happened when someone "least expects it," because the expectation is surely higher after the start of such a relationship.

quote:
rape is no laughing matter
This is my point.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't catch any hint of threat in Takei's video. The video was clearly a comedy. So, IMO, arguing about consent in this situation is ridiculous.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Of course it wasn't a real threat. I haven't said that it was. He did, however, "threaten" rape as the basis for his joke.

Had he been more explicit, (such as "I'm going to tie you up, take you home, and make sweet love to you all night long") I doubt anyone would defend him, even though no one would interpret that as an actual threat.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
My take on it was that Takei was ridiculing the idea that gay people were a threat. The concept that Takei could rape Hardaway is pretty absurd.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the "sex with you" part seemed odd to me, though I thought it was more an error in comic timing, or in the progression of the joke, than an inherent unfunniness because of the topic. The "we LOVE YOU" part of the joke was hilarious. It was a direct response to Hardaway, and spun around his comments in exactly the way that would make him most uncomfortable. But there was a point where Takei sort of stepped over the line, and reached too far for a laugh he'd already gotten. So it got less funny at the end. But not because I was offended. It was just inept jokecraft [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

"If you tried us, <eyebrow-waggling stare into the camera for two beats> you'd like us to" would have been a very funny way to close the bit.

It also would have more directly addressed the perceived "threat" among many male homophobes. I've never heard one talk about a fear of being raped, but I have heard many talk about how "they" want to "convert us." My proposed ending would have been directly on point.

One of the reasons I raised the point at all is that there's fairly common "concealed" rape in a lot of stand-up - situations that sound inoccuous but, when broken down, are actually nonconsensual sex. It's started to leap out at me recently. I haven't seen an example here before this, and seized the opportunity.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Of course it wasn't a real threat. I haven't said that it was. He did, however, "threaten" rape as the basis for his joke.

Had he been more explicit, (such as "I'm going to tie you up, take you home, and make sweet love to you all night long") I doubt anyone would defend him, even though no one would interpret that as an actual threat.

You're taking it far too seriously. Hardaway said he was homophobic. Takei said the one thing that he figured Hardaway feared most, despite it being utterly absurd.

Suggesting that he threatened rape is like taking "you're pulling my leg" as an accusation of physical abuse.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Lisa, you left out the scare quotes. They were there for a reason. I have explicitly said that I don't think this was an actual threat. You quoted that, in fact, so I can't figure out why you think your simile is relevant to what I said.

What it was was a joke about rape. That's why I have a problem with it.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a ton of stuff out there, routinely said and joked about, that has been taken as rape in legal cases. I presume that's what he's talking about.

Given that almost everyone now considers plying someone with drinks in order to get them to have sex to be rape, that indicts all KINDS of old standard jokes.

I do wonder what it says for the concept of "beer goggles" though.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
"If you tried us, <eyebrow-waggling stare into the camera for two beats> you'd like us to" would have been a very funny way to close the bit.

That would have been funnier.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it amusing all the way up until the comment about sex. I have to agree with Dag.

Of course it wasn't serious, and I'm sure Takei wasn't insinuating at all that he'd want to force anybody to have sex, but it was still a joke that referenced un-consensual sex and it fell completely flat.

Before that, I found it an extremely funny, very clever response to Hardaway's bigoted comments. It's a shame, really, because it ruined the whole bit for me.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Come on, it's obvious Hardaway is asking for it [Wink]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hardaway was certainly asking for something, there's no doubt about that.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, agreed.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I see the wet blanket brigade has been through here.

You guys should get a theme song or something.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Could you help us pick one out? How did the blustering blowhard brigade pick theirs?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
If there's one profession that's full of blustering blow-hards, it's musical composition. If anything, we had a hard time choosing not because of scarcity, but because we all kept trying to take over conversation by talking over one another and striking dashing poses.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I think George and Tim should kiss and make up.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet people would pay to see that.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardaway's homophobia is ugly. I guess it's good that he voiced his disgust. Now at least it can be a subject of conversation.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

You just know Hardaway is on the phone with Takei's agent trying to set up a secret rendezvous. [Wink] [Eek!] [Kiss]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I disagreed with Dag but I can see how he is right in that Takei could have probably been funny without suggesting that he would rape Hardaway.

Initially I just figured the final comment was an extension of a common misconception (like "they eat babies!") but the gay edition, "Gay people rape homophobes!"

I wouldn't say Takei owes Hardaway and apology as well now, but the segment, though hilarious, could have been in better taste.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
At first I disagreed with Dag but I can see how he is right in that Takei could have probably been funny without suggesting that he would rape Hardaway.

Initially I just figured the final comment was an extension of a common misconception (like "they eat babies!") but the gay edition, "Gay people rape homophobes!"

I wouldn't say Takei owes Hardaway and apology as well now, but the segment, though hilarious, could have been in better taste.

That's my basic opinion. I think the last joke was mostly just targeted at Hardaway to show how ludicrous his homophobia is. I mean, at least in my age group, the majority think that homosexuals are inherently promiscuous and feel like they will be pressured into sexual activities they wouldn't like. I think Takei was just capitalizing on this stereotype trying to show how ridiculous Hardaway's hate was.

But I do agree with Dagonee in that it was in pretty poor taste and it could have ended on a funnier note.

... But still, as a whole, I think it was funny.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno if you guys saw the Scoop Jackson interview that Hardaway did. It's a chance for some kind of public redemption but he never really takes it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/070222

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
(I just got internet back at my house so I can watch videos again! Yay!)

It seemed to me that Takei wasn't insinuating any forced or nonconsentual sex with Hardaway. He only said that he would have sex with him. I assumed he was addressing a feeling that he assumed Hardaway had, one that, sadly, I know many guys to have: when you meet a gay man, the only thing he wants to do is have sex with you. Maybe it's a case of self projection, as that may be all these guys think about when they're with the gender of their desire. I don't know, but that was what I got out of what Takei said. Just another POV.

(Edited for accuracy)

[ February 27, 2007, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I think the real fear of homophobes is that maybe, just maybe, they might be gay themselves. They're terrified that they might be attracted to men, that one day they might actually have sex with another man.

Honestly, I don't think Takei was suggesting that he would rape Hardaway, which is obviously physically impossible. More, it was the suggestion that he would proposition Hardaway for sex, and Hardaway would accept, because he couldn't contain his animal passion for Takei (who I must say, has aged quite well).

Homophobes aren't afraid they'll be raped by gay men, because 1) they don't think any pansy fruity guy could possibly overpower them, and 2) because most guys just aren't afraid of being raped (except for prison). The fear is that they're really gay, or that they might somehow be turned gay against their will.

For example, Hardaway may some day open his door to find George Takei in his kitchen, wearing nothing but an apron, and he'll find himself sweeping Takei up into his arms and carrying him up the stairs to bed while the Righteous Brothers music swells in the background.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree, on multiple counts.

quote:
I think the real fear of homophobes is that maybe, just maybe, they might be gay themselves.
While that might be true for some people, I don't accept that it's true in general.

As the word is commonly used, I definitely fall under the umbrella of homophobe. And I've got to say, I'm really not afraid that I might be gay.

Of course, you're free to assume that I'm just repressing my fear of being a repressed homosexual, but then you're just being silly.

quote:
Homophobes aren't afraid they'll be raped by gay men, because 1) they don't think any pansy fruity guy could possibly overpower them
Now you're really being silly.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:

For example, Hardaway may some day open his door to find George Takei in his kitchen, wearing nothing but an apron, and he'll find himself sweeping Takei up into his arms and carrying him up the stairs to bed while the Righteous Brothers music swells in the background.

Yeah, I just thought I should quote that, in tribute to MightyCow's active imagination.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. That's good stuff.

I didn't really find anything wrong with what Takei was saying, or threatening. You could be hyperliteral about a lot of things and get something offensive out of it if you're REALLY trying.

As the video was going on, I thought Takei was going to say "Well you know what, I don't like basketball players either!" or something like that.

I think it was over the top, but oh well, it was funny, and a great way to respond to something like that I think.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Drama Professor in College who made witty comment. I won't call it wise, but definitely witty.

"There are only two reasons for a man to hate gay men. Either the gay men are hitting on him too much, or they aren't hitting on him enough."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I think the real fear of homophobes is that maybe, just maybe, they might be gay themselves. They're terrified that they might be attracted to men, that one day they might actually have sex with another man.

Honestly, I don't think Takei was suggesting that he would rape Hardaway, which is obviously physically impossible. More, it was the suggestion that he would proposition Hardaway for sex, and Hardaway would accept, because he couldn't contain his animal passion for Takei (who I must say, has aged quite well).

I agree with all of this. The third paragraph I would question, but only because I have not seen evidence of this myself.

But that isn't to say that this is the case for all homophobes, or that Takei or anyone else thinks it is, only that it may be for some and this feeling was what Takei was addressing.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
As the word is commonly used, I definitely fall under the umbrella of homophobe.

You know, it's nice that most people these days would be ashamed to admit to being racist or anti-semitic. It's a pity that homophobes haven't yet learned to be ashamed of it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, especially here on Hatrack, the word homophobe is used to describe anybody who holds certain views about homosexuality. It has nothing to do with actual fear.

I hold many of those views, and I am not ashamed of it.

:shrug:

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, it's nice that most people these days would be ashamed to admit to being racist or anti-semitic. It's a pity that homophobes haven't yet learned to be ashamed of it.
You know, Lisa, perhaps if you'd trouble yourself to learn what definition Porter thinks the word 'homophobe' commonly has, you could decide whether or not he should be ashamed of it.

Instead of, you know, jumping to a hasty, insulting conclusion. But that's your standard method, so I'm not really very hopeful that will change.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is the charitable interpretation, and the one I'm going to go with. Why not, when it's the funniest explanation?

Lisa, there's a difference between racism and anti-semitism versus "homophobism" (is that a word?) in that the literal meaning of "homophobe" is fear of gay men (or women). The same connotation is not present with racism and anti-semitism where the association is more towards hate than fear. I don't think Porter is suggesting that he hates gays, but that he disapproves of gay acts (as his religion dictates) and possibly (although I could be wrong here) feels some aversion or fear of having to come in contact with such acts himself.

Depending on who is speaking, being a homophobe could encompass hating gays, fearing gays, disapproving of gay acts, aversion to the thought of coming into contact with gays or gay sex, or some combination thereof or all of it. Before Porter clarifies which definition he believes is the one "commonly used", I think it's premature to compare him to racists.

Edit: aaaand, I took way too long time to compose that post.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals
This is the only definition I know of. Is this different than the working definition we are using here?

Believing there to be strong negative aspects of homosexuality (not that I do, mind you) is not the same as having an aversion to, or discriminating against, as far as I can tell.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.