FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An interesting article about Super Columbine Massacre RPG

Author Topic: An interesting article about Super Columbine Massacre RPG
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I read this article earlier today. After our previous discussions about Super Columbine Massacre RPG, I thought a lot of people had some misconceptions about what exactly the game entailed. This article clears those up and eloquently sums up my view of the matter, which is that SCMRPG is no less appropriate than the myriad documentaries on the same subject, and indeed, had the potential to be more compelling than any of them. Its execution may have been flawed, but I think it marks an important step in game developments.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think, I hope, by this point that anyone who's been on this forum for a while just inherently distrusts all mass media.

edit: Let me clarify. I'm saying that it's not suprising that the game has been mischaracterized by the big news.

[ February 27, 2007, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly reading a perv's rationalization for his perversion don' hold much appeal for me.
Kinda like listening to an alcoholic explaining why it's cool to drink, or a smoker explaining it's cool to smoke. On the main, I don't care if they indulge. But trying to recruit others so they can feel "just like everyone else" is purely sociopathic.

"...it was forcibly ejected from the Slamdance Guerrilla Gamemaker Competition, after being selected for the shortlist of finalists by the panel. This precipitated a walkout of a sizeable proportion of other contestants - an act of solidarity."

And yeah, I consider those who walked out to be a bunch of pervs along with the article's writer.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How are you defining "perv?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. And which are you referring to as "perverted"? All players of video games? Players of violent video games? Strictly players of SCMRPG?

In any case, I have a sneaking suspicion that more deaths are attributable to alcohol and tobacco.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
In the article Kieron Gillen gives his views on the game and tells what he thinks its merits are. His veiws and thoughts may be different than yours, but that doesn't make them wrong, in and of itself. Just because you don't believe alcohol is good doesn't mean that when a drinker discusses the merits of alcohol they are automatically wrong. Whether the merits outweight the faults is another story altogether.

It seems to me that dismissing on opinion out of hand only because it is different than yours is a great way to miss valuable information and insight.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"How are you defining "perv?"

Someone whose sensitivity is so burnt out by overexposure to any given genre/activity/drug that they turn to perverse extremes for kicks. See it a lot amongst the (il)literati, movie critics, book reviewers, etc

And no, 'perverse' doesn't mean the same thing as 'perverted'.

[ February 27, 2007, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Did you read the article? It kinda drives the point home that the game is not [edit: intended to be] played for "kicks."
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

I make a distinction between drinkers and alcoholics. I'm not talking about a drinker discussing the merits of specific wines/etc.
I'm talking about an alcoholic trying talk others into drinking heavily.

vonk
Member # 9027

The article isn't trying to convince anyone to play large amounts of video games. Or any video games at all for that matter. (as far as I could tell anyway)
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering, Storm. Thanks.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.