FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Was a "help me remember the name" thread. Now it's just a Philip K Dick thread

Author Topic: Was a "help me remember the name" thread. Now it's just a Philip K Dick thread
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was asking for help remembering the name of Dick's short story "The Golden Man", which Silent E correctly identified. I've deleted the original post, as it contained spoilers for the story.

[ March 01, 2007, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that story is in fact called The Golden Man, and may be found in one of the volumes of The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick, which volume is in fact titled The Golden Man. I may be mistaken, but I estimate that there is at most a 5% chance of that.

IMO, it's an okay story, but not one of my favorite PKD stories.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
The Infinites maybe? IIRC that had mutants in it. Edit: Nevermind, I just looked up and it's not The Infinites. Silent E is right, I think.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's The Golden Man (aka The God Who Runs). Wikilink

(Edit: Hmmph. That'll teach me to be thorough. [Razz] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I agree that it's not one of his best, but I remember it being a pretty solid story. I was recalling it specifically because I have a friend who I think would be interested in the subject that the story explores, given other stories he's been fascinated by lately.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found this on wikipedia

A movie based on this story is to be released on 2007. The movie will be directed by Lee Tamahori, with Nicolas Cage as Cris, Jessica Biel as the woman Cris knows will bear his child, and Julianne Moore as the government agent that is tracking him. The movie will use the title Next.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to read the book Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said a couple of times. I get into it. And I like it. But I keep not finishing it. On a postive not, I finally finished Prentice Alvin.

I thought it was really good. The people on Amazon seem to think that it wasn't so good. Numerous reviews say that the ball was dropped and that the series goes downhill from there. I don't understand why they don't like it.

I can't speak for the other books, but I think the ball got firmly grabbed and held in a bear hug. So, I don't think it'll get dropped anytime soon.

I really like the character of Arthur Stuart. I'm going to start Alvin Journeyman tomorrow.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.