FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is this a real quote?

Author Topic: Is this a real quote?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Something like "Satan's gotten so good, he doesn't need to tempt people any more; they're fighting for a chance to pay to get in." Possibly combined with "Hell's successful strategy: Charging admission."

If not, I want to claim it.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
When I used to teach how to use spreadsheets, I'd use hell's operating expenses as an example. Ever-increasing costs for heating oil; ever-decreasing costs for recruitment; $0 for refreshments. [Smile]
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I posted something very similar here with a link to the quote from McEldowney's first or second Pibgorn tale, I think.
With a slight chance it was from 9ChickweedLane. Either way, definitely McEldowney.

I've a feeling that MarkTwain or AmbroseBierce also wrote something similar.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of being the subject of ridicule for some of my really guilty pleasures in reading, it also sounds a lot like something that would have been said somewhere in the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony.

But you wouldn't admit to reading it, would you Squick? [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It is far from an uncommon theme, actually.

And it is specifically alluded to in the Incarnations of Immortality series more than once.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
::Hits head::

I remember now!

It was in that same movie/tv show as that other quote and was a direct response to this:

"It doesn't DO anything. That's the beauty of it."

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:

I remember now!

It was in that same movie/tv show as that other quote and was a direct response to this:

[Evil Laugh]

At first I thought this thread was going to be about THAT quote, to be honest. [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
It may have been Incarnations of Immortality. I have things pop into my head at times and I often can't tell if they're from somewhere or whether the little men who work inside me sent them up.

I don't have to do anything to get these ideas though. That's the beauty of it.

[ March 06, 2007, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:

I remember now!

[Evil Laugh]

I knew that this would come up somehow! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
is it not from Devil's Advocate? (at least that's what it made me think of, but I could be wrong)
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.