FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need a simple shrimp recipe

Author Topic: I need a simple shrimp recipe
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some peeled, deveined shrimp on my fridge that I don't know what to do with. I was looking for some simple recipes online but for everything I find, there's ALWAYS something that I don't have in the ingredient's list.

What do you guys think I can do to these little crustaceans?

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Fry 'em in butter, lots and lots and lots of garlic, and salt & pepper. Yum!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You could even add some cayenne to it, if you like.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Then put it on pasta. And invite me over.

Alternative: Boil 'em, chill 'em, mix with cooked pasta (rotini maybe), mayo, and possibly green or red peppers and tomatoes.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, but I have no cayenne. And I'm not a big fan of garlic.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

No tomatoes, no pasta. [Frown]
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
ceviche. Marinate in lemon and/or lime juice over night, then rinse and serve chopped/mixed with pico de gallo. Pico de gallo is chopped/minced tomatoes and onions with or without cilantro and/or some chopped jalapeno. I personally do with the cilantro and without much jalapeno. No cooking needed.

This works with most any seafood.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I know ceviche and pico de gallo pretty well and again, I have no tomatoes. Oh, and I think it uses ketchup as well which I don't have either. :'0
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:

We can never be married.

(my plans are ruined. [Frown] )

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww...
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:

We can never be married.

(my plans are ruined. [Frown] )

*single tear*

I like some garlic, but I hate the smell.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and I think it uses ketchup as well which I don't have either. :'0

Yeah, we can't be married, either.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. Lacking garlic, try butter, salt, and some red pepper flakes.

Or just go shopping.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
Salt & Pepper shrimp is one of my favorite Chinese recipes.

You'll need a wok and some oil though.

Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
No tomatoes, ketchup, or pasta (and don't like garlic)...maybe you'd be better off telling us what you DO have in your kitchen and we could go from there. [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ooooh, lime (or lemon) with salt & pepper. Yum!
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I always go for marinated with lemonjuice, oil, and salt and pepper, then grilled. I don't like boiled peeled shrimp at all but I do like peel and eat boiled shrimp, I can't explain that one.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lavalamp:
Salt & Pepper shrimp is one of my favorite Chinese recipes.

Damn you, Lavalamp! Now I'm craving salt & pepper shrimp (or better yet, salt & pepper squid), and the only place in town that does a really good job with that dish is closed for remodeling.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] Pix
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Simplest recipe ever - Boil them. Eat them.

Or, marinade them in lemon juice, olive oil and white wine, with salt and pepper to taste, and let sit for 2 hours. Skewer them and throw them on a grill until they're pink. Eat them.

Or, filet them, fill with pepper jack and diced jalapenos, wrap them in bacon and grill or fry them. Eat them.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Heat canola or grapeseed oil in pan.

Salt shrimp.

Put in pan - saute until done.

Pepper to taste.

Eat.

Unless you haven't had the shrimp on ice in your refridgerator. If that's the case, I wouldn't eat them at this point.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Cook. Eat.

They're shrimp -- you can't do anything to make them not delicious.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm not a fan of plain, boiled shrimp. But in general I agree with JT.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Overcooking them to the texture of rubber makes them not so delicious. Other than that, I agree with JT.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.