FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrackaraoke - sing for an audience, from the privacy of your own home! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatrackaraoke - sing for an audience, from the privacy of your own home!
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Transforumed, but I figure people here are much more likely to post.

1) Register at SingShot.

2) Get a computer mic.

3) Record something!

4) Post a link! I'll try to keep tabs on submissions and organize them up top.

Recorded:

[ March 21, 2007, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: erosomniac ]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, if no one dares to post first, I'll do it.

Warning: I'm singing extremely quietly so as to not disturb my flatmate in the next room.

Everything I Own

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man, Emma is going to LOVE this. They have all her favorites. [Big Grin]

Celaeno, I liked it! [Smile]

I will see if I can find my mic.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that was damned good Celaeno. You should rerecord it later, louder. You have a clean tone.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dangit! The cat chewed through the cord on my computer mic! [Mad]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Thanks, guys!

Now you should both post something, so I'm not up here all alone.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, I just ordered a new mic (same kind I had before, I liked it) from Amazon. I had a $10 gift certificate so it only cost me $1.50. But it won't be here for a little while.

Dumb cat.

Unless it was the toddler pulling on it that broke it, in which case I apologize to the cat.

I did register, though, and am practicing. As soon as I get my new mic I'll post. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(I think it was the cat, considering it's broken in TWO PLACES.)
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Unless it was the toddler pulling on it that broke it, in which case I apologize to the cat.

[ROFL]
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What? Cats are people too. (At least according to them.)
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
That's really neat. I will try to record something tomorrow.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... where can I get a mic?

Also, their "world/reggae" section is LAME! Not even any Shakira!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Annie:

You can get a mic from pretty much any electronics store: Radioshack, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

In other news, come on, someone has to try this!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:

You can get a mic from pretty much any electronics store: Radioshack, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

In other news, come on, someone has to try this!

Ill give it a shot once this sore throat that besieged my esophagus last night goes away.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Celaeno, the juxtaposition of your photo with the blurb under it is hilarious. I can't listen to stuff on the site from work, but I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's stuff (because by the time I get home there will be loads of submissions, of course) tonight.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I was apparently mistaken in thinking there would be interest in this! [Frown]

[ March 15, 2007, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: erosomniac ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I bet if you changed the title more people would do it.

And like I said, I need a mic, which should get here about next week.

Why don't you do it?

Celaeno
Member # 8562

YES.

Eros, why don't you post yours?

I think he's afraid if he posts his, everyone else is going to be too intimidated to try it themselves. [Wink]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm totally interested, and plan on submitting.

But there is no force on earth that will get me to submit anything while anyone else is in the house, including my dog, who is the family's loudest critic.

Annie, there IS some Shakira on there, I saw it yesterday when I was browsing. The only song they have is "Underneath Your Clothes."

Sadly, there is no Gary Jules, Dave Matthews, Les Miserables or 1776, all the stuff I like to sing along with in my car the most. I suppose I'll find something though. Tomorrow when I get home from work I'll have an empty house and I'll record something. We had something like this awhile back, though it was the Hatrack Acapella thread (which I believe I broke through inaction, sorry guys!). This should be cool. I know there are some good singers on this thread, (ahem, RAIA!).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I was about to say, doesn't Raia sing, like, as her major?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Indeed she does, and she's fantastic.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

A lot of the songs are in strange categories-- "Molly Malone" in "Christian", for example. I recommend searching and/or browsing all the categories or artists, it's apt to turn up something you didn't expect. (The first one I'm going to do is "He's Got the Whole World In His Hands"-- but I'm not using their lyrics, I'm using the ones I always sing. [Razz] )
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's me doing Baby I Love Your Way, as performed by Big Mountain.

I apologize in advance.

EDIT - No Bob Marley!? I weep.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Hall & Oates - Sara, Smile
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Jux, good job.

eros, holy crap, that was great!

edit to add: Freshman was pretty great too eros.

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm, the internet kinda takes away the whole drunk and peer pressure angle.

I should just post my best version of Sweet Child O' Mine by GunsNRoses, as accompanied by my banjo. Before I learned how to play the banjo.

Then no one can be embarrassed ever again. [Smile]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

eros, dang, you are GOOD.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I might give this a shot, if I can get my mic to work. Currently, it won't let me listen to anyone's songs. It just says, "Loading song, please wait..." forever [Frown]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It did that to me earlier. Try closing the window, waiting a minute, and opening it in a new window again.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn & ketchupqueen,
Thanks for the kind words. [Smile]

I've also been having a few problems with the site; internal errors and the like, mostly when I've tried to update my profile or save a song. Waiting a few minutes and resubmitting has generally worked for me.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Thanks Lyr, Kqueen.

MC, the site has a lot of random problems, mostly because I don't think they were ready to get as popular as they're getting!

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. If I sing in time with the music during the recording, I come out a half beat ahead of the music during the review. I'll have to play with it later.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Don't use the review button, it's often bugged. If you just save the recording (privately if you don't want people to hear it yet!), you can listen to it properly that way.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in... found a couple of songs that I have sung before, so I'll see if I can get them in this weekend.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Will an internal mic work, or does it have to be external?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Not enough punk.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Bad Company? (nope, nevermind)

Cheap Trick?

Iggy Pop?

Ramones?

The Clash?

The Kinks?

Then there's the crap...

Blink 182

Sum 41

And there were several bands that border on punk, but are more metal so not worth mentioning.

[ March 16, 2007, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Wait... someone thinks Bad Company is punk?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Someone doesn't know if it's punk and put a question mark after it. I don't think I've ever heard a BC song, and for some reason just catagorized it as punk in my head. Google has confirmed my error.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

ah... very good. Carry on, then...

*sings*
Baby... when I think about you... I think about Loooooooveeeeee

vonk
Member # 9027

That's Bad Company?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

well, I'm pretty sure Alan Jackson did a cover of it, but yeah, that's Bad Company.

As is "Don't you know that you are a shooting star... and all the world will love you just as long-- as long as you are."

vonk
Member # 9027

They don't sound very... bad.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be up for this if I hadn't been sick all week.

Maybe I could sing some Cohen or something.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, an Iggy Pop/Kate Pierson (of B-52s fame) song is not exactly a lot of punk. Yeah, they have the Clash and the Ramones, but where is Bad Religion, Pennywise, and others.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
where is Bad Religion, Pennywise, and others.
Wow, people still listen to that stuff? Sweet. I rarely encounter people that have heard of those bands, much less actually like them.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Sorry, an Iggy Pop/Kate Pierson (of B-52s fame) song is not exactly a lot of punk
Heh, should have looked at the song, not just the artist.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by camus:
quote:
where is Bad Religion, Pennywise, and others.
Wow, people still listen to that stuff? Sweet. I rarely encounter people that have heard of those bands, much less actually like them.
Bad Religion is one of the best bands EVER. More people should listen.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having entirely too much fun playing with this site. Too bad they don't have a better selection... Oh well here's
my contribution - no laughing because I screw up saying "machine" - my kitten was singing with me and I was trying not to laugh out loud. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I didn't hear the mistake ludosti. Great performance!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.