FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrackaraoke - sing for an audience, from the privacy of your own home! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatrackaraoke - sing for an audience, from the privacy of your own home!
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, eros, you have a fantastic voice! And impressive range!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I just tried to sing a little. Wow, my voice is completely shot. 5 days of near constant coughing'll do that to you. All I could squeeze out of my voice box was a hoarse whisper.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I sang a couple songs, but I refuse to post them after hearing eros and others.

I used to think I was decent.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah I sang a couple songs, but I refuse to post them
I don't!

And come on... Your performance of this one is a classic.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Noemon!

ludosti, I like your voice. Subdued without being timid, and it really shines, although I second Lyrhawn's comment that you should rock it out hard! [Big Grin]

Lyrhawn, post anyway! Half the fun of karaoke is knowing everyone's too drunk to quietly judge you! [Smile]

Although I have thought about turning the thread into a karaoke contest, with categories like "Most Ridiculous Performance," "Best Reinterpretation," "Most Obviously Intoxicated Performance," "Performance Which Most Sounds Like the Performer is Only Trying to Become Famous to Sleep With Paris Hilton," etc.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
quote:
Yeah I sang a couple songs, but I refuse to post them
I don't!

And come on... Your performance of this one is a classic.

Lyrhawn, dude, those are awesome.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
The Final Countdown - Europe

I think I outdid myself with this one. This place is addictive! [Evil Laugh]

[ March 17, 2007, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: MightyCow ]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

TL posted it for me.

And no, I wasn't drunk while singing "Blue Christmas."

And it says Final Countdown was deleted. Dude, there's no deleting. If you all get to hear me wail out Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay like a drunk third grader, we get to hear yours [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

MC, you deleted it?!

IT WAS AWESOME.

A solid wall of ROCK.

TL
Member # 8124

It's not deleted... I mean, I think I'm listening to it right now. What am I listening to? Was he making laser noises and then singing in a hilarious falsetto? Cause if so.... I'm listening to it right now.

Or is this a different Mighty Cow?

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Whew, for some reason the link was messed up. TL has the right one, and I corrected mine.

Glad it wasn't really deleted, it took me an hour to find the perfect piece to start with. Go Europe!

Edit: Oh, make sure you update the link in the first post. The performance ID in the link text should be 254496 Thanks!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
That's absolutely awesome, MightyCow. I had a smile on my face all the way through to the end. It's truly a performance in the finest of karaoke traditions. No one will dare to enter the stage after THAT!

I'm actually tempted to participate -- though my performance couldn't conceivably equal the awesomeness of MightyCow's -- but unfortunately I have no microphone.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
MightyCow: [ROFL]

And the funniest part was that no matter how you tried, you were actually pretty well on pitch most of the time.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Also, the montage goes excellently well with that performance.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Try as might I had synching trouble... to used to being the one keeping the beat myself, I guess.

here's Dear Prudence
Breakfast at Tiffany's

and a very weak Teenage Dirtbag

Edit: on relisten, Dirtbag isn't all that much weaker than the others... none of 'em is gonna win American Idol.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
What's their policy on singing your own, non-offensive words?
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Heard it through the grapevine

That's pretty fun. If I work out the latency problems with my mic and the stuttering my wireless causes, I'll record some more stuff.

Edit: recorded another one right quick. Brian McKnight

[ March 17, 2007, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: El JT de Spang ]

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

There we go, I was waiting for JT to post. [Wink]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm hooked. I recorded 3 songs back to back to back.

It's really annoying not being able to tweak the audio, though.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I think I'm hooked. I recorded 3 songs back to back to back.

It's really annoying not being able to tweak the audio, though.

I did the same thing, and I have the same grievance. At the same time, though, I kind of like that you have to do an entire song in a single take with no modifications to the sound.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

No, I like that, too. It's why I really like karaoke. It's just going to take some getting used to, for songs with a lot of dynamic range, learning to really work the mic to keep the output where you need it.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, we have quite a bit of vocal talent running around the ol' Rack.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
No, I like that, too. It's why I really like karaoke. It's just going to take some getting used to, for songs with a lot of dynamic range, learning to really work the mic to keep the output where you need it.

You could do a test run before you record, I bet that would help. It helps me, anyway.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Jack:

I don't see that they have a policy against it, as long as it's not offensive.

I plan on singing the words I'm used to on some of the traditional songs they have different words to.

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Juxtapose's link stopped working. Here it is.

Link.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
It's fun to hear what everyone's sung so far! I tried to record a song myself a few times tonight, but each time there there was a problem with the recording (voice got out of sync, or it was way too soft, or it was way too loud). Not to mention the terrible singing [Smile]

I might try again tomorrow or some other day, it's getting too late here to be noisy (don't want to bug the neighbors).

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Jack:

I don't see that they have a policy against it, as long as it's not offensive.

I plan on singing the words I'm used to on some of the traditional songs they have different words to.

Yeah, the top recording of "99 Red Balloons" is some guy singing it in German with his kid, so I'm guessing that it's just fine. [Smile]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
So I could do "Smells like Teen Spirit" with the lyrics for "Smells like Nirvana?"

Sweet.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I'm going to try again during the day time so I can sing out loud without waking up the little woman [Smile]

I need to experiment with mics too. None of mine are very good, but it's tough to get a good vocal range without being too loud or soft. Dang primitive software!

Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so much fun! Thank you so much for introducing us to this site, eros! I've been having a blast just messing around.

I'm rather embarrassed to post this after listening to everyone here, but here's me and my little sis belting out Everything's Coming Up Roses. Warning: We are not always together, either with each other or with the music, and we're not always quite on key either . . . but you can hear our smiles.

(Oh, and I'm Mills there. For some unknown reason, Amilia had already been taken. That never happens! I have an unusual spelling of an uncommon name . . . but apparently there is another Amilia out there who likes to sing kareoke . . .)

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I have much karaoke experience, but you guys are all pretty good! erosomniac; indistinguishable from the original.

What fun! Thanks to the courageous men and women who posted.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I'm getting a kick out of these.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hey, eros, will you please update all the new links on your top post (and fix juxty's link?)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Holy crap!

JT you're awesome!

I want to hear eros and JT do a duet of "You Really Got Me."

I think it'd friggin rock!!

RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my first song. It's not perfect, but it will do.

Rainy Days and Mondays

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's your first multi-member Hatrack duet featuring ApostleRadio and RackhamsRazor. I apologize for the strange feedback during some of my vocals, but this was the 6th take and we were tired of trying to get it perfect. Not a real probability, but even so.

If I Had A Million Dollars - Hatrack Style

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Hey, eros, will you please update all the new links on your top post (and fix juxty's link?)

Done, I think! If I missed anyone, let me know.

I'm behind on listening (most of my Hatrack time is at the office, on a speaker-free computer), but I'll catch up eventually!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it impossible to record yourself twice on the same song if you wanted to do a duet with yourself? Haven't had a chance to try recording anything especially since with phlegm saturating my sinuses I am capable of about 3 notes being on key [Frown]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, eros and JT. That's fantastic. You are seriously talented. [Smile] MightyCow, that was wonderful. In fact, all of you are great.

I have got to try this.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Sorry about the broken link. I didn't realize that re-recording a song would create a different address.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

ApostleRadio and RackhamsRazor,
that duet was awesome. I loved your ad-libbing.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
Wow, we have quite a bit of vocal talent running around the ol' Rack.

We certainly do! I'm quite impressed. Now I just have to decide what to sing. There are so many options!

and kq, if the German version of 99 Red Balloons is 99 Luftballons those aren't their own words - I have it on my ipod...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I know, Dragon, they used it on Scrubs. I'm just saying they used words other than what's on the karaoke screen. [Smile]

I got my new mic today. After KPC finishes his schoolwork for tonight I will have him set it up. Emma wants to sing "Where is Thumbkin?" [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

First one ever: Whole World in His Hands

Also:
Molly Malone, which for some reason does not play my voice back as loud as it did on the review. Sorry 'bout that.

Also, I tagged them both "Hatrack", if y'all do the same we can all search for each others' by tag...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, did one of my favorites:In the Sweet By and By. Wish I could have done it justice, my voice is worn out at this point (I've had a cold and been singing all day on top of it!) But I did do a custom slideshow, which is fun.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(See how pictures can turn a Methodist song LDS? It's better than water into wine! 'Cause I can't drink wine! [Razz] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, I decided to do one that Ems would love. So here you go: Turkey in the Straw, including some truly awful yodeling (she yodels much better than I do.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(I have no life, can you tell?)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Also, I don't sleep.)
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
To Lyr and eros: Aww, shucks, guys! [Blushing]

I will try and do this when I get a chance... I have a hell week this week, so I'm afraid it's not very high priority. But it looks fun, I'd love to try it when I get a spare moment!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.