FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My name is Inigo Montoya (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My name is Inigo Montoya
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! At last!

I saw Princess Bride for the first time last night with Mrs_Maven.

What a fantastic film. I can't believe I hadn't seen it before - it's the sort of thing I would have obsesed over as a teenager (swords, heros, swords, villains, swords, giants, swords and a bit of kissing....).

Thanks Hatrack for alerting me to it.

BTW Can you recommend any other films that might have passed me by?

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the club. It is one of my favorite movies of all times.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya...
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably would have liked the movie more had I not read the book.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
yet another reason to always see the movie first. the spoilage never seems to work the other way around.

Though I feel that even if I had read the book first, I'd still love the movie. It's just so wonderful.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I probably would have liked the movie more had I not read the book.
Get used to disappointment.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Arguably the most quotable movie ever! Love that movie. Loved the book too.

At least, it's the movie I've heard quoted the most ... perhaps that comes from hanging around here too much.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 9771

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
I heartily recommend Better Off Dead and Monty Python and the Holy Grail as extremely quotable movies that are also fun to watch!

Next on my list of the Three Amigos. My best friends and I used to quote that one in our high school days, all the time. We each "were" one of the amigos.

I was Ned Nederlander! (ironic since I went to the Netherlands as a missionary just a couple years later).

I have others, but that should keep you busy for several hours.

-V

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
How could you possibly have managed to avoid seeing The Princess Bride for so long???? Especially with how many of us quote it?

Seconding the recommendation for Holy Grail. Adding in Spaceballs and Blazing Saddles ... heck, most Mel Brooks.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
History of the World Part I!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
'Labyrinth' with David Bowie. Seriously, that was the defining movie of my childhood. In high school, we used to sit around and analyse it for hours... happy days. [Big Grin]

Story - Teenage girl has to rescue her little brother from the goblin king.

This has a starring role. (Warning, slightly disturbing and probably not child or work safe).

Plus (I only just discovered this) it has the guy who played The Cat from Red Dwarf as the voice of one of a number of evil singing muppets who decapitate themselves.

The strangest and best kid's movie ever.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
"Turn back, Sarah... turn back before it's too late!"
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Try "Clerks". It's Kevin Smith's first effort. Clerks II is funny.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Bella, did you know that site belongs to a hatracker?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That blew me away when I found that out.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
This is Spinal Tap.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do watch Clerks, beware. It's not really the same kind of humor as the other stuff mentioned here. There's excessive swearing, which might turn you off to the movie. If you've seen something like "Dogma" then you might like it.

My own suggestion is "Clue" Which is extremely quotable and utterly hilarious. And it leads to discussions with friends on who you would get to play in it if they did a present day remake.

Nothing is more quotable than Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd throw in votes for Neverending Story as well as the more obscure Adventures of Baron von Munchausen
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Except for The Princess Bride.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
More quotable than The Princess Bride?

Inconceivable!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I do not think that means what you think it means [Wink] .

Baron Munchausen is WEIRD. I couldn't get into it, but it might be worth a try. Bits and pieces of it were good.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I only remember images from that movie. The emperor of the moon decapitated, Vulcan throwing a fit, Uma Thurmon in the sea shell as Venus...
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
If we're talking quotable, you gotta see "Arthur" and "Real Genius."
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Doesn't surprise me. This is where all the cool people on the net hang out. [Cool]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Robin Hood: Men in Tights is one of my personal favorites.
I'd also say Airplane I & II. Seriously quotable.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...Uma Thurman in the sea shell as Venus...
Thanks for reminding me of that...

I am very familiar with quotable movies, and I have to say that I don't think many movies even come close to The Princess Bride in terms of usability.

The Princess Bride has hundreds of quotes that aren't directly funny, yet usable.

And, let's face it, TPB has a quote for *every* occasion! MPatHG, Airplane, etc... are extensively quotable for a direct comedic response, but TPB can be quoted for multiple occasions, comedic or otherwise. I've quoted it in corporate business meetings with multi-million dollar customers (it's lost on the audience, but so long as I "get it" it's OK by me. And it makes the tech guys laugh).

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Clue works for that too. Maybe not as many as The Princess Bride, but I find myself quoting a lot.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:

Really?

Labyrinth and Princess Bride were my favourite movies growing up, and I can still watch them whenever I'm feeling down and be all better.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
BElla, were you ever a part of an online mailing list devoted to discussing Labyrinth?

:::blush:::

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I agree with all the suggestions here for most quotable movies.

Though it's worth mentioning that The Big Lebowski IS the most quotable movie ever. And if you don't agree it probably just means that you're out of your element.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Spinal Tap.
History of the World Part 1

yes, yes, yes . . .

Try Wayne's World, too.

Nathan and I just discovered GalaxyQwest. We laughed a lot. Try that one, too.

For a more serious must-see, Smoke Signals.

And really, you're no one if you haven't at least seen one Dr. Who season. . . *grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Smoke Signals, but what the heck was with the cheap wig Adam Beach wears in the end? Could they really not afford a wig that fit, and someone to style it? Kinda stole the emotional thunder. Good movie otherwise.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Blazing Saddles

Young Frankenstein

Frau Bluhe

NEEEIIGGHH!!!

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though it's worth mentioning that The Big Lebowski IS the most quotable movie ever
There's no way Big Lebowski is the most quotable movie ever. It's got some great quotes, but they don't come up in normal conversation: "Oh, i'm just increasing the chances of conception" "Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski, stay out of my #O*@#$*& beach community" "I'll take a sasparilla." They're quotable in an elitist way, i.e. "hey, look i just recited a quote from Big Lebowski and the only way you'd get it or think it was funny is if you'd seen the movie and the ridiculous scene this quote occurred in."

Hysterical, but not quotable.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mask of Zorro
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
quote:

Really?
Yup.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic suggestions Peeps! Thanks. I now have a whole new page for my List Of Films To Buy... I suspect Mrs_Maven will demand new shelves for the ever expanding DVD collection.

Happy Viewing!

PS One of *the* most quoteable films is definately the Life of Brian - "He's not the Messiah..." "Blessed are the Cheesmakers...", "What have the Romans done for us..." snigger, oh yes, snigger...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
quote:

Really?
Yup.
Since she's being coy, I'll help you out. The site belongs to Enigmatic, Eljay and dkw's brother.

I don't recall seeing him around here lately, though.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Hey, I answered the question that was asked. How's that being coy, Mr. Literal? If he'd've said "Who?", I'd've answered that question, too. [Razz]
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
There's no way Big Lebowski is the most quotable movie ever. It's got some great quotes, but they don't come up in normal conversation
This only means that your normal conversation is lacking. I will pray for you.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
You're like a child that wander's into a movie theater.... obviously you are not a golfer.

They don't even have to be in context to be funny! But yeah, BL probably isn't the most quotable movie, but I'd say it's one of the most fun to quote.

I second Airplane I & II. Some of the funniest movies ever. Also, RocketMan with Harland Williams is very very funny, and a family film to boot. Not terribly quotable though.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 9771

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Clue works for that too. Maybe not as many as The Princess Bride, but I find myself quoting a lot.
I don't know how I left Clue off my list in the first place - "it's like flames . . . flames in my head"

I also really like these three films:
* Private Eyes - not every Don Knotts film is funny but we laughed ourselves silly on this one. And it has some good quotables in it as well.

* Oscar - this has Stallone, which might have turned some people away, but it is incredibly funny and well done. It has an amazing all-star cast.

* Better Off Dead - I know I mentioned it before, but I wanted to say a bit more about it. It is a "cult classic", meaning that it may have to grow on you before you actually enjoy watching it.

Anyway, toodles!

-V

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of our quotes tend to be from Princess Bride, Python, Buffy, The Simpsons, Firefly, Arthur, and Real Genius. Between all that we can respond to anything, ever.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
If you think the movie the Pricess Bride was fantastic, you really must read the original book of the same title by William Goldman.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

(old man voice) I was a William Goldman fan years before the movie, and my friends and I went into the theater skeptical. Robin Wright wasn't the most beautiful woman in the world, we thought, and we didn't see how it was going to work without the commentary and flashbacks. And how in the world would they handle the greatest swordfight ever put on paper?

The movie's swordfight won us over.

I still prefer the book, actually, since it's funnier and the princess is actually worth saving -- why couldn't they leave in the last scene? -- but the movie remains one of my top ten.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
If you think the movie the Pricess Bride was fantastic, you really must read the original book of the same title by William Goldman.

I had read that book more than once before I finally learned that there is no original book by S. Morgenstern.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Verloren:I also really like these three films:
* Private Eyes - not every Don Knotts film is funny but we laughed ourselves silly on this one. And it has some good quotables in it as well.

* Oscar - this has Stallone, which might have turned some people away, but it is incredibly funny and well done. It has an amazing all-star cast.

* Better Off Dead - I know I mentioned it before, but I wanted to say a bit more about it. It is a "cult classic", meaning that it may have to grow on you before you actually enjoy watching it.

Anyway, toodles!

-V

Excellent choices...

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way... turn!"

...along with someone else's mention of "Real Genius".

"I was just contemplating the immortal words of Socrates... 'I drank what'?"

Allow me to suggest that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is also fairly quotable.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:
There's no way Big Lebowski is the most quotable movie ever. It's got some great quotes, but they don't come up in normal conversation
This only means that your normal conversation is lacking. I will pray for you.
I don't roll on Shabbos!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked TPB the movie better than the book. I found portions of the book too bitter--particularly when he wrote about his divorce.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I didn't have a problem with it, especially since I knew enough about the author by that time to know that most of the personal stuff in TPB was fiction. He doesn't have a son, he has two daughters. I don't believe his wife was a psychologist, either. And they didn't divorce until almost 20 years after the book, and about 4 years after the movie. Was a divorce even mentioned in the original book? Or was that added in later printings, with the additional intros and whatnot?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.