FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » airline tickets -- recommendations

Author Topic: airline tickets -- recommendations
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to buy round-trip tickets for next week, but I'm not positive how long I'll need to stay. What ticket service (orbitz, travelocity, etc.) would you recommend which makes it easy to call up and say "Yeah, you know that ticket I have? I need to to change it to one day later."
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure that's not a question of ticketing agency but of airline. Different airlines have different fees and policies regarding changing tickets.

Is everything ok?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The value airlines that only have one price point - SWest, JetBlue, etc. - have the most flexibility in that regard because you can buy one way tickets without a huge price penalty, but they have limited routes.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, things are fine. I have to make a trip for work, but I have to arrange my own travel.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

So if it's "easy" you're worried about and not price, there are refundable/freely changeable tickets at all the major airlines.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Also, what are the current rules for flying? Can I bring my mp3 player on board? My PDA? A book?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yes to all 3. You will have to shut them down at certain times (well, not the book, of course).
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
in my experience, buy the earlier ticket... miss your flight and you can almost always standby later. MP3 players and pdas are cool, even laptops. Any wireless devices (cellphones, wifi cards) have to be disabled from the time you back away from the gate till the time you hit ground, though.

With books, you might watch certain titles. I got singled out for screening once because I was reading Prachett's Going Postal. I didn't think at all about the effect that title would have on a security person.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The no liquids thing is still in effect, though. Maximum 3 oz containers, with the exception of bottled water purchased at the airport, so don't bring any toiletries larger than travel size in your carry-on.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

TSA calls it 3-1-1:

No more than 3 oz. per container of liquid or gel; all such containers in a 1-quart ziploc bag; 1 bag per person.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Buying tickets: Use Priceline or Travelocity or one of those deals and search for your flight. Then, whichever airline has the lowest fare, call them directly. You will save an additional 15 to 50 dollars.

Also, if you change your flight, you will probably have to pay a $100 fee plus any change in the airfare, which is usually going to be hiked up. Finally, try not to fly on a Friday or Saturday. You will save a lot of money that way.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
TSA calls it 3-1-1:

No more than 3 oz. per container of liquid or gel; all such containers in a 1-quart ziploc bag; 1 bag per person.

Will they make exceptions for toddlers' juice, or am I going to have to bring empty sippy cups and buy it once I'm inside? (When I fly this summer.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:

Also, if you change your flight, you will probably have to pay a $100 fee plus any change in the airfare, which is usually going to be hiked up.

I was quite happy when I missed my flight with Delta to find out that they have a policy that if you miss your flight (non-refundable tickets are all I buy) and get to the check in desk within one hour of takeoff, or something like that (I'd have to look up exact details), for a $25 fee per ticket you can get put on the next available flight at no extra cost. That was most helpful, and made a Delta customer out of me. Whenever I can I fly them now.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
TSA calls it 3-1-1:

Will they make exceptions for toddlers' juice, or am I going to have to bring empty sippy cups and buy it once I'm inside? (When I fly this summer.)
[No No] You didn't follow the link.

quote:
Declare larger liquids. Prescription medications, baby formula and milk (when traveling with an infant or toddler) are allowed in quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint.
Ok, the link says milk, but I'm pretty sure juice for a toddler is considered the same.

More details.
and
quote:
For questions or concerns about Travel Tips, Permitted and Prohibited Items, and information on filing a claim for lost, stolen or damaged items, please call the TSA Contact Center.

Phone: 1-866-289-9673 toll-free
E-mail: TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I was quite happy when I missed my flight with Delta to find out that they have a policy that if you miss your flight (non-refundable tickets are all I buy) and get to the check in desk within one hour of takeoff, or something like that (I'd have to look up exact details), for a $25 fee per ticket you can get put on the next available flight at no extra cost.

Three hours.

That's a very generous policy! Good to know. [Smile]

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, wow. That's the first time I've heard of an airline being so accommodating.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.