FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google Earth made my mother cry

Author Topic: Google Earth made my mother cry
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I was working at Kinko's when she came by to pick me up, so I decided to show her the wonder that is Google Earth. Spinning the world around in 3D, zooming in on Disney World, New York, Washington DC, etc... it occured to me to show her what I found a few days ago: the link to my high school article on Wikipedia that included a link to Google Earth's location for my school's old "Palace of Education" complex in Havana, Cuba.

Amazed at what she was actually seeing (my school's old building is unmistakeable from above for those who have seen the mural in my school's lobby), she began to traverse the streets through the city she once called home, heading to the shoreline and moving northeast along the "malecon", discovering hotels she once knew, some that were recently build, the fortification and the statue of Maximo Gomez, etc... She was truly amazed.

As I was about to close up, I hit something that began to slowly zoom out until she told me rather excitedly to stop. There, in a little corner of the screen, on the bottom right, is a single label: "Nueva Paz", the town in which she was born and raised as a child. So I zoomed in for her.

The town can't be more than ten by ten blocks nestled in the surrounding green that is central Cuba, but it was amazing to be able to zoom in and be able to see cars on the road (granted, there weren't many of them, but still). She traversed the streets in her mind, with her finger, until she came to the very house she grew up in, in the southeast region of the town.

We all are bothered at the fact that Cuba is only ninety miles away, but to others it feels like it's on another planet. For this brief moment, her homeland felt closer than it has in nearly forty years. It brought tears to her eyes and she could hardly speak.

At home I spent the next two hours looking up other locations through this marvel of modern science. I looked for my own home town - Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico - but I have no memory of it and can't make out any landmarks. But, even if I did, I can at least go there at will.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so sweet, Nighthawk. [Big Grin]
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, I do have some tequila in me, but that gave me a little lump in my throat, Nighthawk.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandparents have been looking recently at our hometown in Ukraine and finding buildings they used to know and following paths they used to walk. They wouldn't stop babbling about it on the phone the other week.

Technology is wonderful.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful post, Nighthawk. Thank you for writing it.

Say hi to your mom for me.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
me and my friend are trying to find the shipyard where the CVN-77 is being constructed.

Edit: Found it, Norfolk Shipyards.

Also there is a Submarine being built in an odd drydock in Hawaii, its being built in a large drydock yet the smaller ones are big enough for it...

Ronald Reagon looks desserted.

Poor Missuri [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that the newest Carrier was named the Gerald Ford.

I was also under the impression that ships weren't built in Hawaii, they were maintained there.

edit: The Ronald Reagan was commissioned a couple years ago and is serving with a carrier group. CVN-77 is the George H W Bush. It will be the last Nimitz-Class, and the Gerald Ford will be the first of the new class of carriers.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Great thread. This is the kind of stuff that makes hatrack what it is -- along with all that other stuff. And usually I see threads like this and I just think, "hatrack is the place for me, man," but I don't comment. This time I thought I would. There's just something--- I dunno ---touching? about this post. Thanks
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post. Thank you.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Good god. I went through Wildwood Crest.

It's exactly how I remember it from a very profound family event. It's trippy -- satellite memories.

I'm going to also look at Cape May from the sky.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome, Nighthawk.

When I got back from Japan, I showed my Mom around Yokohama - I took her from Landmark Tower down to Yamashita Park and through Chinatown, then up the hill to the church and down the narrow streets to the apartment I lived in. It was amazing.

We live in the future, friends!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
...She traversed the streets in her mind, with her finger...

Ouch! I'd cry too. [Razz]

Nice story. Thanks for sharing. [Smile]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.