FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pet Food Recall

Author Topic: Pet Food Recall
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Link.

quote:
A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

-pH
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
We had some of the cat food recalled. It was iams, and as i understand it was voluntary for that brand. But we tossed it out anyway and I went to the pet store and bought a bunch of super ultra healthy food today.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
Americas Choice, Preferred Pets / Authority / Best Choice / Companion / Compliments
Demoulas Market Basket / Eukanuba / Fine Feline Cat / Food Lion / Foodtown
Giant Companion / Hannaford / Hill Country Fare / Hy-Vee / Iams / Key Food / Laura Lynn
Li'l Red / Loving Meals / Meijer's Main Choice / Nutriplan / Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
Nutro Natural Choice / Paws / Pet Pride / Presidents Choice / Price Chopper
Priority / Save-A-Lot / Schnucks / Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans / Sophistacat
Special Kitty Canada / Special Kitty US / Springfield Prize / Sprout
Total Pet, My True Friend / Wegmans / Western Family / White Rose / Winn Dixie
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
Americas Choice, Preferred Pets / Authority / Award / Best Choice / Big Bet / Big Red
Bloom / Bruiser / Cadillac / Companion / Demoulas Market Basket / Eukanuba / Food Lion
Giant Companion / Great Choice / Hannaford / Hill Country Fare / Hy-Vee / Iams / Key Food
Laura Lynn / Loving Meals / Meijers Main Choice / Mixables / Nutriplan / Nutro / Nutro Max
Nutro Natural Choice / Ol'Roy Canada / Ol'Roy US / Paws
Pet Essentials Pet Pride - Good n Meaty / Presidents Choice / Price Chopper / Priority
Publix / Roche Bros / Save-A-Lot / Schnucks / Shep Dog / Springsfield Prize / Sprout
Stater Bros / Total Pet, My True Friend / Western Family / White Rose / Winn Dixie / Your Pet

[ March 18, 2007, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Thanks for the news and links.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens that many supposedly different brands come from the same bloody place?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
So, what in heaven's name is a safe food to buy? List, anyone?

Is Science Diet okay? I don't see it on the list . . . although I do have some wet food of Science Diet and I do have some pouches of IAMS. Which is not reassuring as Sam has some kidney trouble already, and threw up after eating one of the IAMS pouch contents. The numbers don't match, but out it goes in the garbage.

Maybe I'll just stick to dry food, with some warm water and a little brewer's yeast for added nummy content.

[ March 18, 2007, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Rat poison??? MenuFoods "expanded its recall to include all 95 brands of the “cuts and gravy” style food, regardless of when they were produced."
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Been feeding my kitten dry food since we bought her at 4 weeks old. The idea of her dying would reduce me to tears and I've only had her for 5 months [Frown]

She still gets the occasional lick of whatever I am eating though.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"My name is Ugo DiFonte and I was the food taster for Duke Federico Basillione DiVincelli..."
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, aspectre! We get special food from the vet because my cat had a urinary track infection, but I was still worried.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
We use dry Purina 1...don't see that on the list so I guess my kitties are ok.

I'm afraid I can't afford uber-expensive food for my cats.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
My dog is eating perscription diet from Hills, is that a safe brand?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Now they're saying it looks like someone did it on purpose. That's the most horrible thing I can imagine. Humans are cruel to other humans, and that I can take, for some reason. But animals are innocent, and harmless, and trusting. Talk about millstones! Whoever did this it would be better for them...
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. We feed our dogs Eukanuba dry food because our vet told us it was the best we could feed them.

I haven't seen where they said it was on purpose, but I honestly couldn't think of any other way rat poison could get into the food. It is horrible.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma,

That list you posted includes statements such as this:

quote:
30%-50% (1/3 to 1/2) of the diet should be raw meaty bones, such as chicken necks, backs, wings and leg quarters, lamb breast, lamb necks, pork necks, pork riblets, beef necks (usually only consumed by large dogs), turkey necks, etc. These can also include canned fish, such as Jack Mackerel, Pink Salmon, or Sardines packed in water, not oil -- do not feed tuna, as it does not include bones
Chicken bones? Fish bones?

I don't know what my opinion is on a "raw" diet...but I've always been told to avoid all but beef bones.

Unless "everybody" knows that you're supposed to grind this stuff up (because it doesn't really say).

No...because it also says:
quote:
...such as ground or whole raw meaty bones
Something tells me these guys make La Leche League look like a bunch of pikers.

Sorry though...how rude of me: thank you very much for all the good info you're posting here.

I know I'll never eat dog food again!

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't give my dogs bones at all. Beef bones can break dogs' teeth, and bone splinters can perforate their intestines. (This is speaking for personal experience, I'm sorry to say.)
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan,

Sorry to hear about that. Yeah--we don't give our dog any bones, either.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boothby171:

I don't know what my opinion is on a "raw" diet...but I've always been told to avoid all but beef bones.

Unless "everybody" knows that you're supposed to grind this stuff up (because it doesn't really say).

No...because it also says:
quote:
...such as ground or whole raw meaty bones

Well, the key word is "raw". Raw bones aren't brittle and won't splinter the way cooked bones will. After all, in the wild dogs would naturally eat some bones and that's the point of a raw diet - to simulate to an extent what dogs or cats would eat in the wild.

A good friend of mine, who is a vet, feeds her dogs a raw diet, bones and all, and her dogs have had no problems. Other people and vets have different experiences. [Dont Know] So if you're interested do some research and feed your pets what you're comfortable with.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
This recall, surprisingly, affects my tortoise more than my puppy.

My tortoise is supposed to get a spoonful or two of moist cat food every once in a while. Now I guess I'm glad he's been getting his protein lately from tortoise candy.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

pH,

Please, I don't care what ANYBODY asks you...under no circumstances are you to tell us what "tortoise candy" is.

Zeugma,

"Human-grade kibble" You mean, like what grandma used to eat?

Or like what Jeffrey Dahmer used to eat?

Boothby171
Member # 807

Here, Jeffy...eat your kibble. It's grandpa!
Boothby171
Member # 807

pH,

...unless you're talking about Hibiscus flowers.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.