FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think a spider bit me. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I think a spider bit me.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
And Noemon threw the switch. (Er, leg.) Judge, jury, ... and executioner.

dun-dun-DUNNNH!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kingwood is where I'll be staying, that's where my family lives.
Hey, I used to live in Kingwood, and I went to Kingwood High School for ninth and tenth grade. It was a long time ago, but I still have friends who live in Kingwood. Do you know any Jensens? There are 11 kids in the family, and the youngest would be about your age. They live in Kingwood.

I used to live in Forest Cove. Do you know where that is? My aunt still lives there.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Ok, color is useless in identifying spiders, we need more detail. More description. Size, number of eyes and organization, hair, apparent weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identifying_spiders
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiders_by_color

I don't exactly sit around and have tea with these things. [Razz] Size? The body alone, or the body with the legs? Maybe the size of a dime, or a tad smaller. Number of eyes? I have no clue. It didn't have hair. And if one of those things ever crawls on my bathroom scale, my bathroom scale is going out the window.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what kind of spider it was -- I only worry about identifying the poisonous creatures. So my classifications are poisonous, and everything else. [Smile]
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Speaking of poisonous creatures JT, do you know when Creepy Spikey Evil Caterpiller of Doom Season starts?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
My co-worker is at the Hospital, even as we type, while her son has surgery on two brown recluse bites that he suffered last Thursday. They didn't take him to the doctor until Monday. Here at work, we have 1 or 2 industrial injury claims a year from recluse bites. The critters are not native to this area, but have come inside of shipping containers from around the world. (they are not the only transplants in the valley) And have been established over the years.
In any case, if a brown recluse bite is likely, you really need to get medical attention as quickly as possible. Unfourtunatly you are usually not sure. They are very shy, and most bites, in our experience, come from picking up items, like clothing, in which they have hidden. You almost never see the spider, and the bite is not immidiately painful. The Kid in the first sentence was using the common teen-age practice of storing his clothing on the floor of his bedroom.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
Hey, I used to live in Kingwood, and I went to Kingwood High School for ninth and tenth grade. It was a long time ago, but I still have friends who live in Kingwood. Do you know any Jensens? There are 11 kids in the family, and the youngest would be about your age. They live in Kingwood.

I used to live in Forest Cove. Do you know where that is? My aunt still lives there.

I don't know any Jensens personally, but I did know there were some there during my time at KHS. That doesn't necessarily mean they were the same family though.

As for Forest Cove, I know where that is. I have at least one friend that lives in that area. My family lives in Greentree, sort of towards the back of Kingwood.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Speaking of poisonous creatures JT, do you know when Creepy Spikey Evil Caterpiller of Doom Season starts?

-pH

Hmm. Excellent question. I usually like to discover that it's stinging caterpillar season by stepping on one. Barefoot.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

-pH

Hmm. Excellent question. I usually like to discover that it's stinging caterpillar season by stepping on one. Barefoot.
That's what I did. And then my leg swelled up. I know it has to be coming up soon...those things are evil. A couple of them got into my friend's room and stung him while he was sleeping. Of course, he woke up from the pain and discovered them then. [Angst]

-pH

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon,

Dad did notice fewer spiders in his living area after bombing the place. We never opened the door again until this spring...to toss down another can of poison. [Smile]

I think this particular poison is good for controlling spiders, but I don't have its details.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tstorm, is it available in tankerloads?

My garage is a breeding ground for just the sort of spiders that give me the shivering-wossnames...

Go figure, I'm 190 pounds of raw manflesh with and I own various powertools too, but those eight legged thingamies do for me. What a wuss! [Wink]

Fortunatley, up here on Mount Maven, the number of poisonous things is limited. Although I saw an Adder here in the street (Vipera berus) last summer. The poor thing looked lost.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:

I don't know any Jensens personally, but I did know there were some there during my time at KHS. That doesn't necessarily mean they were the same family though.

As for Forest Cove, I know where that is. I have at least one friend that lives in that area. My family lives in Greentree, sort of towards the back of Kingwood.

I honestly don't know Kingwood THAT well, I'm only there twice a year or so. I can ask my family there if they know some Jensens, and what part of the city they live in.

All my cousins went to Kingwood High School, my oldest cousin is, I think 28? So she would have graduated like 10 years ago. My middle cousin is my age, so she graduated four years ago, and my youngest cousin is in 12th grade there now.

My aunt also teaches at KHS, and has for the last few years at least. When did you guys graduate there?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Flesh-eating spiders AND deadly caterpillars? Sounds like you live in Dante's Inferno.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I graduated from KHS in 2004, so only 3 years ago. I'm curious as to who your aunt is Lyrhawn, as I know quite a few teachers at KHS.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
My co-worker is at the Hospital, even as we type, while her son has surgery on two brown recluse bites that he suffered last Thursday. They didn't take him to the doctor until Monday. Here at work, we have 1 or 2 industrial injury claims a year from recluse bites. The critters are not native to this area, but have come inside of shipping containers from around the world. (they are not the only transplants in the valley) And have been established over the years.
In any case, if a brown recluse bite is likely, you really need to get medical attention as quickly as possible. Unfourtunatly you are usually not sure. They are very shy, and most bites, in our experience, come from picking up items, like clothing, in which they have hidden. You almost never see the spider, and the bite is not immidiately painful. The Kid in the first sentence was using the common teen-age practice of storing his clothing on the floor of his bedroom.

Huh? Where are they supposed to go?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:
Noemon,

Dad did notice fewer spiders in his living area after bombing the place. We never opened the door again until this spring...to toss down another can of poison. [Smile]

Interesting! My information about their resistance came from various universities' entymology departments a few years ago (wow--actually now that I think about it it was probably 5 years ago) when I was having to deal with a brown recluse infestation, rather than by personal experimentation. If you happen to find out what kind of poison it was at some point let me know. I probably wouldn't use it myself, simply because I'm leery of pesticides and herbicides in general, but I'd love to read about it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
Flesh-eating spiders AND deadly caterpillars? Sounds like you live in Dante's Inferno.

Indeed. Caterpillars that sting? That just creeps me out.

I thought it was funny when we found a black widow in our apartment; Jeff was freaking out. I usually freak out at the sight of a harmless house spider, but I got so used to dealing with black widows growing up (we lived in three houses in a row that had positive infestations in the backyard/garage/shed areas) that I was completely calm. I just trapped it in a jar, slid cardboard under it, got some nice thick leather shoes on, took it outside, cautiously pulled the jar off, and stomped it as it ran. He was freaked out all day, it didn't bother me, whereas a harmless house or wolf spider will send me screaming for hours. Go figure!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Huh? Where are they supposed to go?
(To be sung to the tune of "God Bless America")
Mom, wash my underwear
My only pair
You can find them, and move them
From the stack on the back of the Chair
To the Washer,
To the Clothesline
To my backpack
To my rear
Mom wash my underwear
My only pair
Mom wash my underwear
Or I'll be bare

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

kq, the stingy caterpillar leaves weird marks on your skin too, like stitches. Oh, death to the stingy caterpillars. They don't even turn into anything pretty; they turn into brown moths.

I'm telling you. Caterpillars, you have a date with the soles of my boots.

-pH

Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

quote:
I have no idea what it was. But when I pinched the bite, to try and get whatever was in there out, so I could properly clean it, the little thing just popped out, literally you could hear the pop (and I certainly felt it) and it was like a tiny pebble about the size of the bite, which was maybe pimple sized.
On a more serious note, the young man, previously referred to, had one bite erupt. The expelled mass was almost as large as a pingpong ball. The surgery was to debride and suture this cavity. The Doctor is worried as the second bite has not erupted. If it dosen't soon, they will probably lance it. Again, brown recluse bites are not to be trifled with. If you have one you need to go to the doctor quickly.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that. A friend of mine back in highschool ended up with a (more or less) baseball sized chunk of her thigh rot away because of a brown recluse bite. They aren't to be trifled with.

Of course, they aren't all that serious either. Mine bascially just looked like a I had third nipple with a really puffy areola. Maybe the spider had expended most of its venom on something else before it got to me. Or maybe my body decided to give a third nipple a whirl before deciding it was too painful and reconsidering, and the smashed brown recluse was just a red herring.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
quote:
I have no idea what it was. But when I pinched the bite, to try and get whatever was in there out, so I could properly clean it, the little thing just popped out, literally you could hear the pop (and I certainly felt it) and it was like a tiny pebble about the size of the bite, which was maybe pimple sized.
On a more serious note, the young man, previously referred to, had one bite erupt. The expelled mass was almost as large as a pingpong ball. The surgery was to debride and suture this cavity. The Doctor is worried as the second bite has not erupted. If it dosen't soon, they will probably lance it. Again, brown recluse bites are not to be trifled with. If you have one you need to go to the doctor quickly.
But what IS the stuff that's coming out of his bite? *shudder*

-pH

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or maybe my body decided to give a third nipple a whirl before deciding it was too painful and reconsidering, and the smashed brown recluse was just a red herring.
[ROFL]

quote:
But what IS the stuff that's coming out of his bite? *shudder*

Pus and stuff as the immune system attacks the venom and tries to isolate the necrosis? Totally guessing.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

Pus and stuff! But, also actual dead tissue. If unsutured, it really can leave a cavity that does not fill in. Ive never seen a baseball sized one. But, I have seen a handball sized hole.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
I graduated from KHS in 2004, so only 3 years ago. I'm curious as to who your aunt is Lyrhawn, as I know quite a few teachers at KHS.

My cousins graduated in 2002 and 2007, so you might know them too, Karen and Neal Daleiden.

My aunt is Kathy Daleiden. I think she teaches 9th grade something or other.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Ah, you hit in the gap where I don't know people. I know people from 2003 until 2006. Sorry to say I don't recognize the last name. Of course if your aunt teaches at the 9th grade center, there's less chance I'd know her anyways.
pH
Member # 1350

The bite on my thumb turned green again. I popped it, and now it's oozing. Again. [Frown] I guess I'm off to the student clinic tomorrow.

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good plan. Whatever it is, it sounds infected.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.