FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spring has sprung, the grass is ris, I wonder where the birdies is...

Author Topic: Spring has sprung, the grass is ris, I wonder where the birdies is...
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday was the vernal equinox, so today is the first day of spring!

Hoorah!

As if to proove it we had 2cm of snow last night, but hey, the daffodils in the garden are still puting a brave face on it!

To celebrate I put the yeast into the new batch of stout being prepared by the Agamuņo Beer Company - my nano-brewery.

Hoorah again!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
We had like two inches of heavy wet snow the morning of the first day of Spring.

It was very depressing.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The birdies are all roosting right outside my bedroom window and chirp like mad far too early in the morning. >_<
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
"Spring makes everything young again except man" - Jean Paul Richter.

"Spring is a call to action, hence to disillussion, therefore April is called 'the cruelest month'" - Cyril Connolly

But on the bright side, in a few months it'll be summer. Then we'll get to see the girls of summer! While enjoying some freshly brewed beer!

Huzzah!

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Da little boids is on da wing.
But dat's absoid! Da little wings is on da boids!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have snow at all. Which is stupid. In a normal winter we get snow mid-October and the snow melts mid-April. This year we got snow mid-January and it melted last week.

But yeah, there is spring in the air.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
We literally are in the "blowing winter away" phase. [Wink]

Soon...all will be...

REBORN

*halleluyah chorus*

Seriously, I woke up a few days ago, sky was clear, and my energy and mood were noticeably higher.
[Party]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good old Spike Milligan [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

(That poem is one of my absolute favorites.)
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Da little boids is on da wing.
But dat's absoid! Da little wings is on da boids!

Toity doity poiple boids was choipin' an' boipin' an' eatin' woims, when along came Goity an' her brothah Boitie. An' when dey saw toity doity poiple boids, choipin' an' boipin' an' eatin' woims, was dey pohtoibed!

(I think my spellcheck just had a stroke.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
"Spring is here!
The bird is on the wing!
(Isn't that absurd?
I thought the wing was on the bird.)"

Although I'd always heard it as "I wonder where the flowers is." Birdies is better.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

It's in my book of comic poetry as "Spring in the Bronx," and listed with the two lines of the thread title plus the two lines I posted (although the first two lines are written in dialect as well: "Spring is sprung, Da grass is riz/ I wonder where dem boidies is.")

Rivka, that's awesome. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My father (a Brooklynite, born and bred) made the mistake of teaching us that one summer. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite Spike Milligan poem (apologies for length):
quote:

Oh the Leetle
Oh the Leetle
Yellow, white and blue
wearing pinkle ponkle socks
and playing the digeridoo

Oh the leetle
hands and feet'll
covered in ginger hairs
stole a jelly form the fridge
and rolled it down the stairs

Oh the Leetle
on a beetle
raced right past the jelly
until he reached the bottom step
which hit him in the belly

Oh the leetle
Oh the leetle
Look what you have done!
There's jelly all over the carpet,
and look out, here comes Mum!

I feel all "five" again -it must be the spring air!

I love the Bronx stuff - I'm practising my bestest NY accent to try and do it justice! [Big Grin]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.