FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Woman re-interprets Koran with feminist view

Author Topic: Woman re-interprets Koran with feminist view
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyid=2007-03-23T002513Z_01_N21290159_RTRUKOC_0_US-KORAN-FEMINIST.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

Bet this will go over like a beheading in zero G.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Link.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't surprise me. I'd always heard that Muhammad himself greatly respected women. The tradition of the dehumanization of women in Muslim culture comes from the traditions of the pre-Islamic Bedouin culture.

I sort of did my term paper on that in tenth grade. It was interesting.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Good for her and good for them.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it interesting that the word usually translated to "infidel" (related to fidelity) she felt was closer to "ungrateful".
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I encountered something like this in my Women In Religions class. The Quran is never officially translated, and all the "interpretations" have been made by scholars trained in the traditional middle eastern schools. This leads to many Muslims who aren't fluent in Arabic (and many who are) trusting the interpretations taught to them. And why shouldn't they?

But the prof showed us an excerpt related to marital conflict and how to appropriately deal with your wife. The same phrase had an entirely different meaning, with slightly different lexical choices.

Sometimes I'm convinced that Muslims have it right, and reading a text in the original language is the best way to go. And then I remember that even people who "know" Arabic are still translating in their heads, and trusting the lexical choices set out for them, and I get less certain.

There has to be a balance somewhere, but danged if I know where it is.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Religious texts are always filtered through culture--class, gender, circumstance all effect how someone reads a religious text.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
And how someone writes one.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd Really Rather You Didn't Judge People For The Way They Look, Or How They Dress, Or The Way They Talk, Or, Well, Just Play Nice, Okay? Oh, And Get This In Your Thick Heads: Woman = Person. Man = Person. Samey = Samey. One Is Not Better Than The Other, Unless We're Talking About Fashion And I'm Sorry, But I Gave That To Women And Some Guys Who Know The Difference Between Teal and Fuchsia.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

[ROFL]

What's that from?

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
[ROFL]

What's that from?

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster [Smile]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

That is awesome! Why have I never seen that?
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
"I'd always heard that Muhammad himself greatly respected women."

Yup, all 12 wives and counting...

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Largely because the flying spaghetti monster became old and beyond annoying about a microsecond after it was invented by whatever jackass invented it.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

o_O

O...k.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Krankykat, why, exactly, do you insinuate that having 12 wives, most of whom were, if I recall correctly, widows who he married essentially to keep them from being put out on the street as an arguement that he didn't respect women?
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Krankykat, why, exactly, do you insinuate that having 12 wives, most of whom were, if I recall correctly, widows who he married essentially to keep them from being put out on the street as an arguement that he didn't respect women?

Widows, slaves, a Jew, and a nine year old. So says Wikipedia. It didn't say much about how they were treated in there.

I think it's interesting that the Koran puts the wife cap at four, but Muhammad was granted an exemption. By himself....?

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
Largely because the flying spaghetti monster became old and beyond annoying about a microsecond after it was invented by whatever jackass invented it.

Perhaps to you. A fairly large number of other people have and will continue to find it amusing.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
And some are actually devout followers and don't find it amusing at all.

You figure they have to exist. There's just too many people in the world to not have at least one of everything, right?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.