FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Texans, don't abort, make $500! (Page 10)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Hey Texans, don't abort, make $500!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
lol.

Alright, I'll amend that to a fetus that can survive without the aid of the womb, even if it's on a respirator for a little while.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Megan. I don't have any of the motivations you were picking up from the wording of my posts (at least I don't think I do.) I'm not anti-woman, by any means. I'm just more pro-babies than I am pro-women. When I say thet I don't think women deserve to be able to abort their unborn children, it is meant in the same way as they don't deserve to be able to kill their born children. But the word "deserve" is misleading, and a poor choice. I like your phrasing better.

Kwea, thanks, and no prob. We disagree, and that's no big deal. I'm thinking that you're starting to realize that most of the allergic responses that everyone is having toward me are really not that big a deal.

[edit] I hope you find my arguments uncompelling because you dislike my abrasive demeanor, which I should try to subdue. But if you find my arguments objectively uncompelling, then that really makes me think that you don't comprehend what I'm saying. You can disagree with my logic, with some of my presuppositions, but it is most certainly compelling. I know because I'm not an idiot, and I know how and why my logic works for me. Your lack of comprehension (if that's what it is) may be a result of me poorly expressing myself, but I doubt it because others have been debating with me and have expressed pretty clear understanding.

I'm for any restrictions on abortions, no matter how slight. I'm for straight up outlawing it, with the most exceptional exceptions. But I'll take what I can get.

[edit] The last sentence sure looks like a non-sequiter. I'm not on my best game tonight.

[ April 04, 2007, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Reshpeckobiggle ]

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, this isn't a slam...but I don't judge someone by what other people say. I still see a lot of things in your initial posts that I dislike, but it isn't just because we disagree. YOUR tone has changed as well, even if you don't think so.

You really were telling people (or it really, really seemed like you were) what they should think, and what they really meant.

I don't like those types of arguments, because they are usually a complete waste of time. I don't HAVE a lot of time to spend on Hatrack anymore, and I dislike being patronized.

That being said, I was deliberately insulting to you. I felt you were doing that to me, and others, so I tried to show you how it felt.

I tried to exaggerate, to create the same feelings in you (even if just a little bit of them) that I felt when you belittled me, and people who believe as I do. I understand your beliefs...hell, I use to believe that as well. I don't any more, because of personal experiences I have had in my life that made me question the nature of life, freedom, and love.

So I severely disliked you attitude, and your aggressive posting style, particularly when you claimed that anyone not believing the same as you HAD to REALLY know they were lying to themselves, and rationalizing their actions because they knew they were evil. It pissed me off, and felt like a personal attack, and I wanted you to feel that right back.

I succeeded a little too well, I think. [Smile] All it did was throw gas on the fire.

This thread is a pretty cool example of how Hatrack can salvage almost any thread, though, even if there is very little new to the abortion debate in it when it is all said and done. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
"Please, pH and AvidReader, use tinyURL!"

What's that? I just push the button at the bottom of the page.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
http://tinyurl.com/

It stops those large URLs from making the screen scroll sideways. Hatrack's UBB renderer can't handle some URLs. tinyURL can help.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I love tinyurl.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dag. The links looked normal on my screen. I didn't even realize there was a problem.

I've got the site bookmarked and will be waiting for a chance to try it out. [Smile]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.