FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » the wandering book group (somewhere, somewhen)

Author Topic: the wandering book group (somewhere, somewhen)
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
For my 100th hatrack post, I think I'll share a little something I just posted on my blog:

Earlier this month, I saw a sign at the local library that the science fiction book group would meet on Thursday March 29 to discuss "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons.

I thought that was really cool. I hadn't known there was a science fiction/fantasy book group at the library (apparently it was just started in February) and I've been meaning to read Hyperion since I discovered Dan Simmons's interesting monthly messages on his web site several months ago. I figured this would be a good opportunity to read a well-regarded book, and also actually share the experience with other people.

I'd meant to start reading it earlier, but I didn't get around to starting it until last night. Although I'm not a fast reader, I figured I could put in some extra hours of reading over the weekend (not a bad sacrifice, I must say) and get through it by next Thursday.

So then this morning before work, I decided on a whim to check the library's web site. And it listed the "Hyperion" book discussion meeting as having been last night, March 22.

Huh? Had I written the wrong time? Had the sign been wrong? Also I was sure that another time I'd checked the library's web site this month, it had been listed as the 29th.

So I checked Google's cache of the site, and voila, it really had previously been listed as the 29th on the site. I wasn't insane. (At least not for that reason.)

I made a note of their number and decided I'd call during my lunch break and find out when the real time is (or was).

But before calling at lunch, I checked the web site again, and it was listed as the 29th. I figured, ok, the 22nd was just a temporary error, and now they've fixed it. No need to call.

However just now I checked again, and the "Hyperion" discussion was no longer listed on the front page. Next month's science fiction/fantasy discussion for another book was already listed, allegedly for April 26. Hmm.

Then, a click on the discussion group link brought me to another page, which listed the "Hyperion" discussion ... as being held March 23. Tonight.

So, I have come to the conclusion that I've been accidentally tapping into alternate universes' web sites for the local library today, and each one has a slightly different time when their "Hyperion" discussion group meets.

If I call them to find out what's going on, will these different possible universes then collapse into one "real" universe where the book meeting has just one definite time? Or, will my phone call get routed through some spacetime wormhole into another universe where they're discussing something altogether different?

I'll let you know if anything interesting happens. Or at least in some universe, some version of me will let some version of you know.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
The Shrike can manipulate irony in ways we don't understand...
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd call, and not only ask, but complain. They need to know people care or they're liable to keep doing it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a trap.

If you call, 5 minutes later your phone rings, but when you answer, nobody is on the line. Then the Shrike shows up in your garage and... well, you're safer not knowing.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.