FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » He -does- realize super-hero comic books aren't the only genre, right?

Author Topic: He -does- realize super-hero comic books aren't the only genre, right?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading OSC's latest column, where he makes the blanket statement that "comic books" (apparently in general) are "retro"...makes me wonder...has OSC been exposed to the vast, broad, diverse world of non-super-hero comics?

Can someone maybe slip him one of the Flight anthologies? Maybe some Usagi Yojimbo? Perhaps a copy of Goodbye, Chunky Rice? Planetes? Heck, I could go on and on...there are lots of non-super-hero comics that don't suffer from the...shall we say, narrow focus of the super-hero genre. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but your counterexamples are called "graphic novels" [Big Grin]
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I prefer the Eisnerian/McCloudian term:
"Sequential Art". [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are 40+ and haven't checked out the world of comics (aaah, sequential art) since picking up the capes and tights from spinners in the seventies, then you really aren't familiar with comics.

I have turned most of my non-comic reading friends into comic lovers. You just have to know which books to start them on, respectively.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Start him off with A Contract With God and Other Stories, then we'll continue on with La Perdida...and perhaps Finder, Bone, or Castle Waiting.

And maybe, if he's -really- keen...Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix series. [Cool]

Heck, some of the films he's reviewed and loved were originally comics. [Big Grin]

(The Road to Perdition, for example!)

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
At my comic shop we made a wall recommending comics based on some more common favorites.
I've been thinking of making a wall that recommends comics based on what movies/teevee you like. Here's a few, feel free to add to the list! (And alter based on your opinions.)

Do you like:

The Princess Bride? ... Try Castle Waiting!
Rocky ... Daredevil Reborn
Buffy Kurosagi's Corpse Delivery Service
Medium ... " "
Veronica Mars ... Runaways
America's Next Top Model ... Absolute Boyfriend

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Leaving the "good comics = graphic novels" comparison aside, there are a lot of serial (read: monthly) comics on the shelf. Fables, Y the Last Man, and Powers are just a few that immediately come to mind.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Leaving the "good comics = graphic novels" comparison aside,

[Confused]

Absolutely no one has made a "good comics = graphic novels" comparison in this thread.

I was asking if OSC was aware that super-heroes are not the only genre represented in comics, and suggesting non-super-hero comics he might enjoy, and that might get rid of the "retro" impression he has of comic books.

No one has said there are no monthly comics. And your bringing up of Powers (a super-hero comic disguised as a mature readers crime comic) seems to indicate that you've made an assumption that this thread must be bashing super-hero comics. It's not. [Smile]

As there arguably hasn't been a truly new super-hero concept in comics since the 1980s (two decades ago!), OSC's impression of comic books as "retro" is not unwarranted if one restricts one's self to the super-hero genre. But there's much, much more.

Literary-based fantasy and Science Fiction/Social Commentary, as you bring up with your other suggestions.

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I know someone slipped him copies of "Wyrms" and "Red Prophet" graphic novels, so maybe he gets it now???

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

If I recall his ages-ago review of the the graphic novel adaptation of George R.R. Martin's Sandkings short story correctly, he doesn't feel a comic that adapts a prose story is quite the same thing as a "normal" comic.

His statements in the new column make it seem like he still feels that "normal" comics are a breed apart. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.