FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Parents! Have you ever wanted to throttle Dora the Explorer? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hey Parents! Have you ever wanted to throttle Dora the Explorer?
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Kids shows are annoying, but the kids like them and many teach the kids lessons. There are worse things for them to be exposed to. That being said, I can not stand The Upside Down Show.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like Dora, though I haven't seen the show in ages; I no longer have Nickelodeon.

Aside from those shows already mentioned, I liked Zoom and Powerhouse. (And I'm glad I found that link, 'cause it's the first evidence I've seen in a couple of decades that this show actually existed and anybody else saw it.)

I also liked the Villa Alegre theme song, though I don't remember much about the show itself.

(Wikipedia links replaced with TinyURLs because they include parentheses, which UBB chokes on.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
Powerhouse. (And I'm glad I found that link, 'cause it's the first evidence I've seen in a couple of decades that this show actually existed and anybody else saw it.)

I loved that show! I was so sad when they didn't make more episodes. (And unlike 3-2-1 Contact, that decision was not reversed after a year.)

On the wikipage, there was a link to this site, which has episode summaries. I remember these! Especially "You Make Me Sick"! Oh, and the one with the machines that did the exercise for you!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
My house is all about Little Einstein (rocket), Blues Clues (blue), and Dora (Back Pack)--in that order. (in parenthesis is how Toshi says the title).

Dora annoys me.

The most watched video is an old VHS called Shapes and Colors (shapes) that also has a lot of counting in it and another one by the same company about the alphabet.

Toshi turns three in a couple months and he can spell his name and identify every letter on a keyboard.

He also knows all the basic shapes, plus trapezoid, ellipse, oval, hexagone, pentagon, et cetera. He can count to 12.

He seems to watch a lot of TV, but my wife is really good about taking him to the library every other day and checking out books. We have to read about 7 books before he goes to sleep.

I keep him drawing and building things or playing outside, but he still watches about 2 hours a day.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Sesame Street when I was younger, as well as Today's Special and a few others. I still enjoy the Magic School Bus, and I can handle Arthur, Pingu, Kratts' Creatures, and not a whole lot more.

It's all just too... frenetic.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgotten kids shows that I loved:

Great Space Coaster

Read Along

The Electric Company

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Electric Company is forgotten? I don't think so! There was a "best of" just released last year.

One of my favorite bits.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And let's not forget that EC also featured the incomparable Tom Lehrer.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
Forgotten kids shows that I loved:

Great Space Coaster

I met "Baxter". He plays the fiddle and also was (if I remember correctly) Rowlf the Dog and occasionally the back end of Mr. Snuffleupagus.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
lem, my daughter turns three in a couple of weeks, and she knows almost all the letters (upper and lower case) and numbers to about 50. Some of that is Sesame Street, I'm sure. A lot of the letter stuff, though (like finding them on the keyboard and pointing them out wherever we go, and knowing their sounds) is Starfall, which Boon linked to a while back and which we LOVE. You might check it out. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Tova loves Little Einsteins. But she's almost 7 years old, and it's ridiculous for her to be watching it. It's almost as annoying as Dora and JoJo's Circus. They're all the same kind of thing, with exclamation points at the end of every sentence.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

You know, it's funny. The first time I saw that, back when I was a kid, I sat there, thinking that the voice sounded so much like Tom Lehrer. So I waited until the end of the show, and sure enough, his name showed up in the credits.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
What a cool sight ketchupqueen! It will work great. I just built him a computer. Now I need to make a little desk next to mine.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

You know, it's funny. The first time I saw that, back when I was a kid, I sat there, thinking that the voice sounded so much like Tom Lehrer. So I waited until the end of the show, and sure enough, his name showed up in the credits.
Not only did he actually sing in at least three sketches (the SN song I already linked, the -ly song, and the wonderful Silent E), but he wrote many others (such the Menu Song).
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.