FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Art You Love.

Author Topic: The Art You Love.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
There's already a thread discussing what makes art good/bad. I thought a thread where we share some of our most loved pieces of art would be enjoyable.

Norman Rockwell: The Problem We All Live With

I love Norman Rockwell, and I think this piece was a very brave and deft expression of something true in the society he lived in. I don't think I've ever seen another picture that depicts the evil of racism so masterfully.

[ March 28, 2007, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the splattered tomato. Gosh. Understatement is so undervalued.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/ij/images/illustra_rockwl.problm.lg.JPG
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
There is much.

But recently, my detective pals at Galactic Cactus helped me figure ot the identity of "Christ Walking on the Waves" by Julius Sergius von Klever.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I love most of the art of MC Escher, but especially Puddle.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Karl: I like that picture alot, I am sure it was VERY difficult to get right.

Annie: That's probably my favorite depiction of Christ walking on the waves. Its hard for me to explain but I like in a way pictures that do not focus on what Christ looked like, and portray more of what he did. I think the gospels treat the subject very much in that way.

edit: Thanks for relinking aspectre I was not aware my link was forbidden on some servers.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost anything from the Cordair Gallery. But in particular, the works of Quent Cordair and Karl Jensen.

(caution for those who need a caution: some of the art contains nudes)

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
These are four of my favorite paintings.

Reflections of Elephants by Salvador Dali I just love everything that's going on in this one.

The Floating Ice by Claude Monet This is a lesser known Monet. Years ago a traveling Monet exhibit came to Chicago and I just couldn't take my eyes off this. I love the colors.

Starry Night Over the Rhone by Vincent van Gogh Broad brush strokes, shiny stars, beautiful darkness.

The Piping Boy by Nathaniel Hone (You have to scroll down and click on it to see it bigger. It's the one at the bottom right corner.) I saw this when I was in Dublin. Seeing it on the computer doesn't do it justice. The boy's eyes are so intense and blue in person, it feels like he's watching you.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh, Luet, that reminded me of my favorite Dali - Elephants. I own it as a poster print and it used to freak out my roommate. But it's so fascinating!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Elephants is pretty darn creepy. Those skinny legs make me shudder for some reason.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Also, this is probably an appropriate time to advertize the tshirt for true art lovers. (also for gentlemen)
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Did Annie's T-shirts make anybody else think of Sean Connery in celebrity jeopardy?

Lisa: I really enjoyed Bryan Larsen's "New Year's Eve," and some of Han Wu Shen's paintings seriously look like photographs.

Annie
Member # 295

I'll take swords for 500, Alex.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.indigoshadows.com/assets/images/Flaming_June.jpg

I absolutely love this painting. A poster of it is in my bedroom, and it jump-started my current combination obsession.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ooh. I like it, Kat. With what combination are you obsesed?

My favorite Renaissance piece is Raphael's Madonna of the Meadow.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
This one:

http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/lg/2/0/Mark-Rothko-Blue--Orange--Red--1961-206370.jpg
http://jason.aminus3.com/images/user_000002/image_004050/abstract_palm_blue_orange_small.jpg
http://www.opticdistraction.com/photoblog/images/Blue_Orange_Reflection.jpg
http://www.donrelyea.com/hilbert_mod/1200_pixels_wide/hilbert_big_blue0range05.jpg

It is the colors of my living room, most of my paintings, the defunct wedding reception...just about everything. I keep thinking that if I can overload on it, I'll get over it, like when I was obsessed with "Hey Ya!". It's not working though - I still love it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

(not that Kat's is a Renaissance - it just sparked the Renaissance in my brain)

And my favorite American artist is Lilly Martin Spencer. I wrote a paper once comparing her to Mary Englebreit. Here's some good ones:

Young Husband: First Marketing
Kiss Me and You'll Kiss the 'Lasses
Peeling Onions

Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily my absolute favorites, but these are the three I have up in my house right now.

The Calling of St. Matthew, Caravaggio.

Narcissus, attr. to Caravaggio.

Wheatfield with Crows, Van Gogh.

(edited--yes, I know how to count to three!)

Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I like your style of obsession, sistah.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a couple I really loved when my wife and I went to the Fogg Museum at Harvard on our pseudo-vacation in January ("pseudo" since I live one T stop from Harvard Square).

Seated Bather by Renoir. In person this piece is so brilliant IMO. The girl looks very realistic, but the background is not. Technically cool, and also neat to interpret, if you like.

No. 2 by Pollock. A crappy picture of it, under very neutral lighting. The piece itself is 8 feet by 3 feet, approximately, and when I look at it, it has a very cool 3D effect, like I could fall into it.

If you like Italian Renaissance art, The Stewart Gardner museum in Boston is the one to go to. I found it a bit too much for me though.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything by HR Giger, especially this one.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

quote:
If you like Italian Renaissance art, The Stewart Gardner museum in Boston is the one to go to.
I don't know--the Galleria degli Uffizi is pretty good, too. [Wink]

Actually, the Italian Renaissance has been my favorite period for a while, but I'm starting to be won over to Baroque and Mannerist art. And my mother, a staunch Impressionist, hasn't converted me yet, but I do have to say I really enjoyed my most recent trip to the Art Institute of Chicago and its collection.

Also, I'm trying to convince myself to fork over the bucks for a small replica of Canova's Cupid and Psyche.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.rhiw.com/chwedlae/Tylwyth_Teg/fairy_ring2.jpg
N.C. Wyeth's Giant: http://www.syntheverse.com/images/preview/2365-079.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/paintingtheweather/assets/tour/picture/hiroshige.jpg
http://www.mcs.csuhayward.edu/~malek/Surrealism/dali1.jpg
The Lady of Shallot
http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~richeyje/dpp/gallery/coolidge/a_friend_in_need.jpg

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Everything by HR Giger, especially this one.

I admire Giger's craftmanship and imagination, but most of his work freaks me out too much to actually consider hanging it in my home, (except maybe in a secret room behind a red velvet curtain.)
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by Loren:
quote:
If you like Italian Renaissance art, The Stewart Gardner museum in Boston is the one to go to.
I don't know--the Galleria degli Uffizi is pretty good, too. [Wink]

No doubt, but I was more putting it out there for the less cosmopolitan among us (like me). The woman decorated 3-4 floors of her house with mostly renaissance art, from floor to ceiling (and an italian courtyard in the center!). She also put in her will that nothing was to be changed about the way the art was displayed, so it is chock full.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I also like this guy. I have several of his pieces, including a portrait he did of me... as a Muppet.

Then again, he is a friend of mine. [Smile]

-Bok

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Mark Jenkins's street art, especially the cellophane people.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

quote:
No doubt, but I was more putting it out there for the less cosmopolitan among us (like me). The woman decorated 3-4 floors of her house with mostly renaissance art, from floor to ceiling (and an italian courtyard in the center!). She also put in her will that nothing was to be changed about the way the art was displayed, so it is chock full.
See, ironically, I've been to Florence five or six times, while I've never been to Boston. So, for me, Boston is the exotic place. But yeah, that sounds like a cool museum; when I make it to Boston I'll have to check it out.
Annie
Member # 295

Oh, I really like that guy's work, Bok. Especially the "Fish out of Water" series.
Bokonon
Member # 480

"Fish out of Water" was awesome. It was displayed in a local cafe in Salem, MA last September (the cafe displays 13 pieces from different artists, for a month at a time). The pieces were a nice size.

The Prospector is my favorite, looking back at them.

-Bok

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nhusd.k12.ca.us/kit/students/student%20web%20pages/Student%20Work/Fermin/bond.html

It's one of the few pieces that I really connect with.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.artfaq.it/desktop/guernica.jpg

Great.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love the splattered tomato. Gosh. Understatement is so undervalued.
How else can it be?

[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my favorite religious art: The Annunciation

I always like texts that capture the humanity of religion.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything Vladimir Kush. I'd explain his style akin to Dali, only with more refinement in the brush stroke.

I like these three of his.

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Dan Reeder, both his music and his art.

http://www.danreeder.com/content/artwork.html

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiddle_stix
Member # 9941

- posted      Profile for fiddle_stix           Edit/Delete Post 
The Kiss by Auguste Rodin and this one, Nike...not by Rodin

[ March 29, 2007, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: fiddle_stix ]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I like that first one alot JumboWumbo. It just feels right in my mind.
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Being typical here, but Frank Lloyd Wright's prairie houses, and of course Falling Water. The Marin County Civic Centre is also one of my favourites, but frankly I love all of his buildings.

Because architects are artists too.

Wright's stained glass patterns are works of art themselves.

Tadao Ando is also great; again being typical for an architecture student. Annie, have you been here? (I still haven't, unfortunately)

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Francisco Goya. His paintings are real(ish) and horrible. They pull dark emotions out of me in a way that elephants on stilts just can't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Goya.colossus.jpg

I have a print of this one I got at el museo del prado: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Goya_-_Saturno_devorando_a_su_hijo.jpg

Not work safe if your work objects to nudity in a fine art context: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Goya_Maja_naga2.jpg

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by JumboWumbo:
Anything Vladimir Kush. I'd explain his style akin to Dali, only with more refinement in the brush stroke.

I like these three of his.

Wow, those are beautiful! Thanks for the links!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to Dali and Escher, Magritte is one of my favorites, especially this one with trees.

I got back from Tanzania yesterday and was thinking about this picture all during the trip. I know, it'll never hang in a museum, but I like it all the same.
Also from DeviantArt, is this. His style makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.siudmak.pl/images/_galery/energia_bawiaca_sie.jpg

http://www.siudmak.pl/images/_galery/galaz_zycia.jpg

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Brandon Bird

Does absurd pop culture art.

James Wood's Last Supper

Law & Order campfire

No one wants to play Sega with Harrison Ford

And my favorite: King of the Cage

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiddle_stix
Member # 9941

- posted      Profile for fiddle_stix           Edit/Delete Post 
i love Law & Order Campfire, hahaha
Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
a laughing reproof to the clouds
Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

[ROFL] The look on Harrison Ford's face in the third link is hilarious! Thanks LW.
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember what I was looking for when I stumbled across this site a few years ago, but this is one of my favorites.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I like Francisco Goya. His paintings are real(ish) and horrible. They pull dark emotions out of me in a way that elephants on stilts just can't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Goya.colossus.jpg

I have a print of this one I got at el museo del prado: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Goya_-_Saturno_devorando_a_su_hijo.jpg

Not work safe if your work objects to nudity in a fine art context: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Goya_Maja_naga2.jpg

I got to see some of these in person at the Prado in Madrid a few years ago. They are very impressive in person. Like all art they really need to be seen in person to appreciate all the subtleties. Dark painting just do not come across well in photos.

I got to see the Van Gogh exhibit in Washington DC a when they were remodeling the Van Gough museum. I was shocked to see how much brighter and how much more detail there was in this painting than all the reproductions I had studied. Still not my favorite dark painting by VG. I don't think he was making statment about smoking in 1885.

Always loved De Gas's pastels They just seem to shimmer in person.

Monet had lots of good work. Love his series of the cathedrals

Can't forget the master, Michaelangelo

Or the other worlds best scultor, Bernini

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Yea this guy was light years ahead of his time. Bosch

So was El Greco's style which always reminds me of the impressionist 280 years earlier

And one last artist who was an unbelievable printmaker, for his time or any, but remember this was around 1500 .

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.