FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hugo Nominees announced!

Author Topic: Hugo Nominees announced!
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
The full list (with links) is here

Two enormous omissions, The Lies of Locke Lamora (though Lynch got, and will probably win, a Campbell nomination) and The Road. And one giant nomination for Peter Jackson... I mean for Naomi Novick, sorry, I got, err, confused...

Can you imagine the consternation and outrage among genre fans if the Road had been nominated for the Hugo at the same time that Oprah picked her first scifi book for her book club? It'd probably be boycotted by most voters and earn the fewest votes of any nominee ever.

I've read Eifelheim, but funnily enough I reserved Rainbow's end, Blindsight and Glasshouse last week from the library, they should be there by tomorrow or Monday. [Smile] Eifelheim is a beautiful story but an awkward book, I'd have dropped the modern story completely for the much more powerful story in the middle ages--that was superb, the transitions between the two timelines and maintaining our interest in each one throughout the book was the opposite of superb. [Frown]

Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see Stargate SG1 got a nod, but I don't think they'll beat BSG.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Doctor Who got enough nominations. [Smile]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspected Blindsight might get a nod. It's easily one of the best books I've ever read, in any genre. Outstanding.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, when you say "The Road," are you referring to this The Road? Because I got it as a present and started reading it, but got a little frustrated early on and put it down. Is it worth picking back up again?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
The Road was the best speculative work of the year, imo... too bad.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by David Bowles:
The Road was the best speculative work of the year, imo... too bad.

Tell you what, I'll read The Road if you read Blindsight. [Wink]

(By the way, I do intend to review your album in my Sakeriver column, I hadn't forgotten about that. I just went off to New Zealand for most of March, and have also been working on a full-fledged article for The Escapist.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
twinky, you've got a deal!

(cool! I'll check in regularly.)

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

OK, I'll see about getting a copy of The Road. You may not be able to find Blindsight in print due to its limited hardcover print runs, but if you can't, Peter Watts has made it available on his website under a Creative Commons license (and has PayPal set up there if you wish to compensate him for his work and are unable to purchase the book).
David Bowles
Member # 1021

I already ordered it: Amazon's got it
twinky
Member # 693

Awesome. saxon75 also gave it a minireview on the Sakeriver front page. I lent it to Noemon and also got pod (notheory) to read it. So far everyone has liked it. I hope you enjoy it too! [Smile]

Amazon.ca has The Road, but I'm going to check my local bookstore first.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.