FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blue Man Group

Author Topic: Blue Man Group
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So... last night I got to go see a Blue Man Group concert, "How to be a Megastar" tour.

It was pretty awesome.

Just wondered if anyone else here has seen them in concert. It is pretty bizarre.

I was a little disappointed in the audience (not the performers). Just couldn't seem to really get jazzed up and into it. On a whole, Kansans can be such a stick-in-the-mud about this kind of thing, which really needs to thrive on audience participation. I felt the same way about the audience when I went to the Yanni concert last year.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen BMG, but I really want to. I saw STOMP about ten years ago. I really like the alternative percussion stuff.

Glad you liked it.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
They are coming here in two weeks... we're gonna try to make it.

How was the volume level? (considering trying to take some or all of the kids)

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Stomp is a great deal of fun.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I love blue man group. I've seen them twice in boston.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to see them... just reading their website and learning about all the crazy instruments they build is exciting enough. Plus, one of my favorite guitarists, Kaki King, used to be in BMG.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How was the volume level? (considering trying to take some or all of the kids)
Very very loud, IMO. But most concerts are these days. There were kids of all ages there, and I saw some little kids dancing to it.

There are a couple of, umm..., references that might be considered a little tasteless for young kids. Especially in the opening act (Mike Relm) where he amazing combines video and audio in a unique way controlled from one board -- like a DJ with a turntable, but much more elaborate. Kinda hard to explain his act. (If you want to more detailed explanation of that, you will have to email me)

Tickets are pricey, though, Jim-Me, so you probably wouldn't want to take too many of your kids.. [Smile]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, babysitting will probably be cheaper...

thanks for the info... maybe that raise will get here soon? (or not...)

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen BMG...six? seven times? Twice in Vegas and 4-5 times in Boston.

Delish.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw them in Vegas. They were great. But yes, Tickets were far from cheap.

Their music is interesting and they're pretty funny.
(I hear only one of them is a demon.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew W
Member # 4172

- posted      Profile for Andrew W   Email Andrew W         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone wants to see what the 'real' Blue Man Group does, you need to see Twilight Zone. Then you'll realise the sinister forces behind the innocuous stage show.

AW

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw them in Chicago. I had no idea what to expect, but I loved how audience interactive the show was. I thought it was really funny, but was admittedly freaked out when they got close to me (I was seated up front on an isle).
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw BMG in London, and it was an incredible spectacle. I wanted to go to the DIY store and buy vast quantities of PVC tubing and some ping-pong bats....
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
I've seen BMG...six? seven times? Twice in Vegas and 4-5 times in Boston.

Delish.

Do you have, like, the coolest life ever?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw them in Chicago a couple of years ago and it was great. It was really loud and if you're sensitive to flashing lights it might not be for you.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.