FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Religion of Peace (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Religion of Peace
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to say we can't really have a discussion here, because you are requiring a dichotomous definition of culture that is unrepresentative of what culture actually is. You are intentionally ignoring the whole introduction to your own source, in order to attribute only the material aspects in your own link.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how we can have a meaningful conversation while simultaneously using our contradicting definitions.

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I regretfully would find any discussion about whether 'Islam is a religion of peace' to be pretty much useless. Any answer is bound to be completely axiomatic. There are ways you could define nearly every major religion on earth to be either a 'religion of peace' or a 'religion of war,' and you can cite holy texts both ways. It's like wondering whether or not <country x> is a 'country of peace.'
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jutsa Notha Name:
quote:
Originally posted by Krankykat:
quote:
Could you explain to me how America has many different cultures, in some cases coexisting in a location...
The U.S. is a land of immigrants. The ideal for the U.S. is to fully embrace multiculturalism which is "the doctrine that several different cultures (rather than one national culture) can coexist peacefully and equitably in a single country." The binding factor being the U.S. Constitution. This is the ideal, and I hope it will one day be achieved.

This does not contridict my "defination" of culture, which is pretty much textbook.

I disagree, unless you can specify which textbook from which you read. You can't claim that something applies to everywhere but America and that that answer does not conflict with itself. You demanded an explanation from me before. I ask you to show me the same consideration.
Jutsa -

You don't think America is a multi cultural nation? I live within a 20 mile distance of the largest population of Kurds, Chaldeans and expatriate Iraqis outside of the Middle East. Also the largest Belgian community outside of Belgium. There's a huge Polish community , Greek community, Armenian community and a half dozen other smaller communities within that same distance. And Detroit is nothing compared to some other multicultural cities around the US, that together make up a very multicultural nation.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
You don't think America is a multi cultural nation? I live within a 20 mile distance of the largest population of Kurds, Chaldeans and expatriate Iraqis outside of the Middle East. Also the largest Belgian community outside of Belgium. There's a huge Polish community , Greek community, Armenian community and a half dozen other smaller communities within that same distance. And Detroit is nothing compared to some other multicultural cities around the US, that together make up a very multicultural nation.

Please re-read what I said. You are taking umbrage at something I in no way implied or claimed outright. That America is multicultural is part of the point I was making.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that people who promote multiculturalism mean only that multiple cultures should function in the same society, but if they do, then the US is definitely multicultural. I believe that Australia and Canada are too.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Jutsa Notha Name:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Please re-read what I said. You are taking umbrage at something I in no way implied or claimed outright. That America is multicultural is part of the point I was making.
I'm not taking umbrage, I was just clarifying.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

No, I'm saying you are questioning me about an argument I didn't make. [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

And thus the clarification is made. It's all good.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.