FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » why, why, WHY?

Author Topic: why, why, WHY?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
What on earth made them think that Angels & Demons would be a good movie? Didn't The Da Vinci Code stink bad enough?

Oh wait. People will still pay to see it. Silly me.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the same as when every book in Michael Crichton's catalogue was being made into a movie -- books in the thriller/action genre can make for fun movies. I didn't read The Da Vinci Code, but I enjoyed the movie just fine.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken
Member # 10082

- posted      Profile for Ken   Email Ken         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the Da Vinci Code and liked it but thought the movie was slow and boring mostly b/c I knew what was going to happen.

They are in business to make money and they will probably make a good deal of money on Angels & Demons though I will not be overly eager to see it.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Didn't The Da Vinci Code stink bad enough?
Wait, you saw it?

It is clearly your fault that this new movie is being made.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I confess my guilt for this horrible movie being made out of pleasantly metiocre novel.

Angel's and Demons was still better than the Da Vinci Code... saying not very much.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was alright, even if they did change it a bit much.

Also, no offense meant, but I keep getting this feeling on this thread that anything mainstream is kind of treated snobbily. I still enjoy it very much, just making a comment.

Angels & Demons could be good. Don't judge before you see it.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't judge before you see it.
I think I can safely say that I won't judge it before I see it. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that the film was mainstream did not make it bad. It was mainstream, and it was bad.

The fact that we are deriding it, and that it is mainstream, is really not enough to connect the two. Plenty of mainstreams stuff gets talked about on Hatrack, so I think really, you're barking up the wrong tree there. I wish you were more right, actually, I think too much mainstream is a bad thing, (but that's another discussion).

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:

Angels & Demons could be good. Don't judge before you see it.

I'm a medieval church historian. You'd have to talk awful fast to get me to think of Angels & Demons as "could be good." The book was awful. I don't think I'll be wasting any money, time, or sanity on the movie.

mph, I didn't see it. I was reacting based on the rottentomatoes reviews. And my general dislike of Dan Brown and his writing.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I keep getting this feeling on this thread that anything mainstream is kind of treated snobbily. I still enjoy it very much, just making a comment.
'The DaVinci Code' was the most poorly written novel I've ever read.

'Angels and Demons' was better, but not by much.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
The DaVinci Code made a alot of money at the Box office.

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic: $217,536,138 28.7%
+ Foreign: $540,703,713 71.3%
= Worldwide: $758,239,851

That's why they are making a sequel.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=davincicode.htm

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thus proving, as if we needed more of a reminder, that people are idiots.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
mph, I didn't see it. I was reacting based on the rottentomatoes reviews. And my general dislike of Dan Brown and his writing.
You read his books?!?

I blame you.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Thus proving, as if we needed more of a reminder, that people are idiots.
How was The Da Vinci Code any worse than Spider-Man? 300? [insert action/thriller]?

Then again, I liked the Star Wars prequels. All three of them. I think it's simply a matter of setting your expectations for a given movie at the right level.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretend it is a scifi/alternate history action movie, and I think it did have some entertainment value. As action books I think all 4 of his novels work, though I preferred the two without Langdon. They are beach reads, fast paced without much thinking involved.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How was The Da Vinci Code any worse than Spider-Man? 300?
It was an action thriller that replaced both the action and the thrills with pretentious exposition.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely hated Angels and Demons when I read it because it proved to me that Dan Brown was not only a bad writer, but that he was manipulative and boring. I read Da Vinci Code first, and I thought it was kinda fun. Angels and Demons ruined both books for me, and I will never read another Dan Brown novel.

That said, I might see it just for the Bernini sculptures... *innocent look*

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I was mildly interested in reading The Da Vinci Code (just to see what all the fuss was about) until I read this parody by a friend of mine and all these posts on Language Log. That was enough to completely kill any interest I had.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

'Angels and Demons' was better, but not by much.

I agree.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is just funny to me. I read the book (actually, both books we're talking about here). I found them to both be fun page-turners written with a style that was... well, I've definitely read worse.

I've also read novels written with more stylistic skill that I absolutely could not get through in a fully conscious state.

Not making value judgments, because there's no accounting for taste, but Dan Brown caught people's eyeballs, and kept 'em to the end, and that is an accomplishment. Yeah, swiss cheese plots and exhaustive flashbacks, whatever.

He got the eyeballs. So all of us who wish to make a living by our words, well, dang-- Dan Brown should give us hope. Writers don't compete with each other, as Uncle Orson has oft chided. Their rival is the Nap. If Brown kept a lot of people up past bed time, then more power to him!

That said, I agree with Scott R and kmbboots. [ROFL]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Pretend it is a scifi/alternate history action movie, and I think it did have some entertainment value.

Problem is, Dan Brown refuses to play pretend. Otherwise, it'd just be a book really not to my taste. And, well, I wasn't very entertained. [Smile]
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
To my knowledge, the only thing Dan Brown claimed true about his stories is that his descriptions of art and architecture are accurate. In other words, he didn't make up the symbols, etc. I don't recall him ever stating that the interpretations his characters make of these symbols are true.

Or were you talking about something else Eaquae?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.