FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What movie made you cry the most? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What movie made you cry the most?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Battlefield Earth made me cry, because I know people who believe in scientology.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I’m a guy. So I don’t cry at movies like “An Affair to Remember”, “Lake House” or the end of "Return of the King." Nor do I cry when I read books like “Les Misérables” by Victor Hugo. I’m not Mister Sensitive Guy at all.

Ok, my mother tells me that I cried like a baby when the King died when we saw “The King and I” when it first hit the theaters back in the late fifties. But I don’t think that counts since I pretty much WAS a baby at age four or something.

But beyond that . . . Hey, I’m a guy. So I don’t cry at movies and stuff.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Well, there was that one time that I got all choked up at “Starship Troopers.” But those were tears of rage because I shelled out six bucks for that travesty pig of a movie.

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubshack
Member # 10403

- posted      Profile for Dubshack   Email Dubshack         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason the movie Armageddon makes me cry the most. I think its a combination of Ben Affleck's horrible acting, that scene between Bruce Willis and Liv Tyler at the end, and the fact that I have this insane surround sound system and always play the movie at full blast, and at the end of the movie people OUTSIDE the living room are an emotional bombshell.

I did cry a little during Serenity. And for Buffy, The Body and also the second season finale where she kills Angel.

Oh, and the series finale of Dawsons Creek when Jen makes the video tape to her daughter. I'm not ashamed to label those genuine tears. That was just well written drama.

And I'll throw in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn. Even though we know Spock gets brought back in III... That whole scene in the engine room at the end is just too much.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't anyone else cry for The Little Match Girl?

That animated short was SO sad. What surprised me the most was that Disney kept the original ending.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly a better question for me would be what movies have I NOT cried in, then hit Tzadik for looking over at me, smirking and faking huge emotional sobs.

300 wasn't one of them. The Notebook, however, was, due to the fact that both of our sobs really were huge and emotional. For about fifteen minutes after the movie ended. (I think I've mentioned before how I HATE Nicholas Sparks movies for being predictable and emotionally manipulative.)

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
It's curious how these threads turn political, but
quote:
Maybe, maybe not. You perhaps forget that at that point in the movie, the leadership of the totalitarian regime had just been cut off. The army didn't fire on the revolters like they had so many times in history. And the great icons of the government were toppled. For all intents and purposes, the revolution was already over by that point.
The totalitarian government was cut off, but IIRC it wasn't replaced with anything? The fact that the soldiers didn't fire on citizens was encouraging though.

I don't know; I don't see the destruction of Parliament House as a good thing. Why not have someone get on the roof and wave a flag? [Wink]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Old Yeller
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
E.T.

It's a Wonderful Life - every time.

( [Wave] CT!)

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Rent
Pay it forward
Life as a House
The Green Mile
The Bounty
Last of the Mohicans

There are a couple of others that had the same effect as The Bounty and Last of the Mohicans, where I cry not for the individual loss suffered by the characters, but by the knowledge that an unspoiled world will be forever damaged by the inevitable coming of the white man. Oh, yeah: Dances with Wolves was one, but I still can't think of the other one.

I've never cried for It's a Wonderful Life.

And the movie that most surprised me by making me cry: Return of the Jedi. I definitely never saw that coming.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I've cried at some point during most of the movies people have mentioned, or at least gotten sniffly.

Jim-Me's list and POV strike me particularly, I admit.

V for Vendetta I cried when he let her out of the 'detention camp' but for an unusual reason, I think. That whole sequence pissed off a lot of people, but all I could think of was what a profoundly beautiful gift he'd given her, and what a difficult gift it must have been to give. [/wildly skewwed personal perspective]

The movie that made me cry the most was Dead Poet's Society. Not the suicide, which I thought was lame, but the very end.

Cried like a baby, in the theater. Walked out with my Beloved (we were dating then, not married or even engaged) crying with my face pressed into that hollow between his shoulder bone and pectoral muscle. Sat in the car and cried some more.

He later remarked that it was kind of neat to see my cry and not feel that it was somehow his fault. [Big Grin]

Beaches made me sob, but only the one viewing-- I was 800 miles away from home for six months during government training, and feeling a bit fragile. I think that had more to do with my state of mind-- I'm usually quite annoyed by movies that are that deliberately manipulative (even though they usually get to me a little).

Schindler's List made me cry at the end, but it, like DPS, was more from inspiration than from sadness or sympathy.

Finally, I cried tears or relief when The English Patient was over, satisfied and happy that so many unpleasant people had perished, if annoyed that it took them so long.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where the Red Fern Grows
They made a movie?!

Has anyone else seen My Life? Geez, I was smiling through a stream of tears for the entire movie.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, I’m a guy. So I don’t cry at movies and stuff.

Yeah, me too. But, last month I stood on the edge of the Grand Canyon, and cried. It was so beautiful!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't cry, but I get to the verge of tears and hold them back in a lot of movies. I can't really think of which ones, because it's a relatively common thing.

One that I do remember that I haven't seen mentioned here is The Prince of Tides.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
Finally, I cried tears or relief when The English Patient was over, satisfied and happy that so many unpleasant people had perished, if annoyed that it took them so long.

Amen. The English Patient was one of my most excruciating movie experiences, ever.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
The scene where the little girl cries for her dad to stay home rather than go back to war. She screams, "Please daddy, I'll say anything, just don't go."
The Patriot

When Rudy runs onto the field.
Rudy

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
This past Friday I saw Bridge To Terabithia. I did not cry because I knew what was going to happen--but I was literally bumped out and despondent for the entire weekend.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Surprisingly, the one that gets me everytime is Raising Arizona. The ending, where H.I. is desribing his last dream, when you realize what he's describing, and then the banner that's strung across the top that says welcome home... crap, I'm crying now (not kidding).

[edit]The Last of the Mohicans does it. When whats-her-name jumps off the cliff...

Life is Beautiful, when Begnini marches to his death like a clown...

Shindler's List, the obvious scene, which pisses me off when I hear that it never happened, so I feel manipulated, but damn it to hell it's powerful.

Amistad, when the one (not)slave looks at the three masts on the ship as they're walking to the courthouse.

Sophie's Choice, obviously. Boring movie, but that one friggin scene...

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I always bawl when I watch The Little Princess, the one Alfonso Curan directed in the mid 90s. Dad has amnesia and doesn't recognize his own daughter and she's screaming at him to remember her as the cops are dragging her away. And then he does and he comes running out intot he rain after her and she just clings to him and screams, "Don't ever leave me!"

It's one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. The colors and the magic are wonderful. And the ending gets me every single time.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I cry at lots of movies.

I tend not to cry at the "sad" parts. People can die all day and all night and I don't get emotional, so I don't think movies like "My Life" or "My Girl" would do it for me, though I haven't seen either.

I tend to cry when either:

1. Someone makes a great personal sacrifice for those around him ("Life is Beautiful" is probably in this category)

2. Somebody takes a stand (I don't cry when the guy shoots himself in "Dead Poets Society", but the last scene leaves me bawling, even if I just change the channel to that movie in the middle of that scene)

3. Somebody realizes a dream (Believe it or not, I usually cry during "Jurassic Park," during the scene where Dr. Grant first sees real dinosaurs)

4. Somebody not only endures real hardship, but downright thrives in real hardship (About the first six times I saw "Matilda" I cried nearly from starting credits to ending credits)

Yeah, yeah, I'm an idiot.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I cried all the way through Matilda, too.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Schindler's list, the scene where the survivors place rocks on Schindler's grave. I bawled like a kid who had lost his favorite toy. Loudly. In the theatre. My girlfriend at the time actually had to shush me.

"The Elephant Man", which I saw on TV probably 20 years ago. Dunno why.

Bridge to Terabithia, I almost cried.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I am moved to the verge of tears by stories of old people who make their love last until the end.

I am moved to the verge of tears when people realize they have succeeded in being the people they wanted to be.

I am moved to the verge of tears by stories of parents who love their children.

"Sad things" rarely move me to the verge of tears.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DevilDreamt:
Grave of the Fireflies.

I tear up at the silliest things sometimes, but this movie pushed me way beyond tears. My husband and I both sat holding each other sobbing for a long time after the movie ended.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

quote:
I am moved to the verge of tears by stories of parents who love their children.
Yes. Count me in on this one, too.

Cried my way through Lorenzo's Oil.

quote:
I cried all the way through Matilda, too.
::notes 478th reason for adding Kat to his "Hatrack Friends" list::
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Added another movie to the list tonight.

Akeelah and the Bee

Posted my review on my blog.

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Great movie, but it made you cry?

Who am I to talk? Look at the top of my list.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I am older than dirt
The Yearling
Bambi
the first Body Snatchers, in black and white
Shane

Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
As far as tv goes, the series finale to Six Feet Under, when the youngest daughter is driving off to NY and you hear the music and see the montage of all the things to come for the family, and the future history of the family...

That reminds me sort of how I felt when I bought the Babylon 5 DVDs and watched the whole series in order and then the finale, Sleeping in the Light.

The whole episode was sorta hitting the emotions, but the end credits which show a split appearance between the first time we see each character and the last time we see each character really got me.

It really shows, even on each character's face, how far each one has gone and what momentous events they have struggled through. Really moving stuff.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
The Futurama episode entitled Jurrasic Bark.

I don't know how anyone who has ever had a pet that they loved that has died could watch that and not cry.

And it was all the worse for being so unexpected.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG

Futurama has made me cry twice. Jurrasic Bark is one episode, and one of the Valentine's Day episodes is the other (it's the one with the candy hearts).

my friends make fun of me over Jurrasic Bark, but I simply call them heartless, because they clearly are.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the xkcd comic about this very subject. Be sure to check out the alt text. And yes, I cry at both of them.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
Another movie I cried over was King Solomens Mine with Richard Chamberlin and Sharon Stone. It was so impossibly bad.So miscasted, that I cheered for the evil witch doctor.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
The Passion of the Christ, at the very end. My family had taken me to see it, and I finally admitted to myself that I no longer believed, hadn't believed for several years, really.

And A Scanner Darkly. Not at the story, but at the list of names at the end.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

- posted      Profile for Feer   Email Feer         Edit/Delete Post 
Charly got me as someone said earlier. During This movie I cried in the most.

The movie that I was suprised to cry in was
Star Wars episode 3: Return of the Sith. When Amidala dies. I knew it was coming but it Hit me hard. I was with friends so I didn't cry for that long. But it still came as a shock to me.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to fight tears as hard as I can during most movies. I HATE feeling emotionally manipulated, and I hate knowing I'm crying over a fictional loss.

However, documentaries get me every time.

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill had me bawling like a baby. Beautiful documentary, though.

My boyfriend and I recently sat through a documentary on rehabilitation centers for chimps and we both cried from start to finish.
Pretty much any animal documentary that involves a dry, academic voice detailing scenes of horrific violence and amazing beauty will have me crying unabashedly.
"Cloud: Wild Stallion of the Rockies" made me cry, although I wanted to strangle the stupid woman narrating it.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

Looks like they got to you, Danzig. A shame. But you know the story of the prodigal son.
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
V For Vendetta... Don't ask me why, but after watching it, at the very end, when you see all those who were lost standing and watching the final act, it really gets to me. Maybe thats why it is my favorite movie.
I cried at V for Vendetta too, but I cried when Valerie read her letter. Just the idea of what she went through, her love, and her final words are simply brilliant. I cried at 300 too, I cried at King Kong (I rooted for the monkey--yeesh, well done Peter Jackson), The Green Mile, but the movie that always gets me is...I kid you not...

Major League. Seriously, when Bob Ueker says "And the Indians win it...", the celebration, and everyone celebrating. It's just wonderful to see a good movie with an ending that rocks, is happy, and not "real".

For tv, I cried at My Screw Up on Scrubs, The West Wing crew remembering Leo (because it was so real, he actually died), for Buffy in The Gift and her sacrifice, but the episode that always gets me...

Ed, Happily Ever After. Those final five minutes are awesome and has the best quote I have ever heard: "I've always believed that life is divided into two parts: what is and what should be. And that, with a lot of effort, some hard work, and maybe a little luck, there are moments in your life when the two parts touch. When what is and what should be are the same. I guess I can't help but think that standing here next to Carol, next to my wife, and in front of all of you friends and family, all of us here inside this crazy, beautiful, dumpy old bowling alley which I love, I can't help but think that this is one of those times. And I thank you."

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw Grave of the Fireflies and I thought it was good but I expected more from it. It was really sad and I cried but because of all the hype I'd heard about it, I was really hoping for one of those movies that hits you from the very beginning but that was not the case. In other words, I felt like it lagged a little...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DaisyMae:
... the LDS fiction movie "Charly" as topping the cry-o-meter for me...

Was this the 1968 movie "Charly," based on Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes? What's the LDS relationship? *interested

---

Edited to correct: Ah, an unrelated 2002 movie of the same name with an LDS character. Never mind. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Added Pursuit of Happyness to the list.

I need to go rent some Jackie Chan or something.

DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I just saw Grave of the Fireflies and I thought it was good but I expected more from it. It was really sad and I cried but because of all the hype I'd heard about it, I was really hoping for one of those movies that hits you from the very beginning but that was not the case. In other words, I felt like it lagged a little...

Well, it is a slow movie. I didn't cry until the very end of it the first time I watched it. I tried to watch it a second time a few weeks later, and cried throughout the whole thing. I don't even try to watch it anymore.

It's a bit worse when you know the story is based on real life, and the original story was written as an apology to the main character's little sister.

Both of my parents worked, and I had to take care of my little sister a lot growing up, especially after my parents got divorced, and this movie hits me hard. She really looked up to me and I had no idea. She feels like I'm the one who raised her, and I can't say I did a competent job, since I was pretty young myself and had no idea what sort of responsibility I had.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Elephant Man, every time.

I can't even watch it anymore because the ending tears me apart.

I have yet to cry in another movie.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Mississippi Burning was an incredibly moving film.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Elephant Man, every time.

I have yet to cry in another movie."

Oh, my God. I seriously thought I was the only one.

For me I think it's the fact that it was a true story.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheyenne Autumn, every time

The Wrath of Kahn, every time

Brother Bear when Kenai tells Koda how his mother died

Spirit Wild Stallion of the Cimarron when the Indian Kid and Spirit jump the gorge I either cry or cheer and yell epithets at the cavalry guy

Contact when Ellie sees the her "dad", because deep down I wish I could see my dad, who died when I was six, one last time.

Two brothers when the tigers are mistreated, and then when they find each other.

Return of the King during Pippins song

T.V.:
Beauty and the Beast in the episode when the plague comes to the secret world

Little House on the Prairie in the episode about the kids getting lost in a blizzard

Judging Amy when Maxine's fiance dies

Star Trek TNG when Tasha dies

Books regularly make me cry

I'm a regular wuss!

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
If we're adding TV to the mix, I bawl every single time I watch SG-1's "Meridian."

[Cry]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
"The Elephant Man, every time.

I have yet to cry in another movie."

Oh, my God. I seriously thought I was the only one.

For me I think it's the fact that it was a true story.

Its a true story, but its been embellished somewhat in the movie version.

Spoilers*

Ending Details! He did die from sleeping on his side, and its quite possible he did so intentionally.

/spoilers

I am glad Mel Brooks produced it but tried to play down his part so that people would take the movie seriously.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Some more sad scenes I just remembered:

In Casablanca when everybody starts singing La Marseillaise over the German national anthem.

In Mean Creek when they go to the dead boy's parents to tell what has happened.

The final episode of the anime series Fruits Basket (the beginning of it, not the silly stuff with Akito).

Also some of the Ishbal flashbacks in the anime Fullmetal Alchemist, even though all of that stuff was handled much better (and sadder) in the manga version.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowman
Member # 10426

- posted      Profile for Snowman           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Wonderful Life. I was so happy at the end that my eyes were gushing a storm.

I probably would have in Reign Over Me if it weren't for my friends surrounding me.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
So many of the previously mentioned ones, of course.

I HATE it when sad movies make me cry. I do not like tearjerkers like My Girl and Love Story and the Nicholas Sparks oevre. Steel Magnolias is an exception to this because there's so much more to the story.

And I'm with docmagik about "taking a stand." Throw in loyalty, and it'll get me every time. That's why the part that makes me cry in Titanic is when Ida and Isadore Strauss are together in their bed and the water is rising. Almost anything Sam ever does or says in LotR makes me cry. The middle of Fellowship, when he says he'll go to Mordor...the end, when he follows Frodo into the river even though he can't swim...and on and on.

*Most* of RotK makes me cry. I spent most of the last 45 minutes or so not just with a few tears running down my face, but really crying. I love when Eowyn takes a stand, the hopeless last stand and Mordor when Merry and Pippin run out, the "end of all things" line from Frodo, and on and on.

The most recent movie I cried at was Freedom Writers.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.