FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Website help (does anyone know how to make an Excel table into a .jpg or .gif image?)

Author Topic: Website help (does anyone know how to make an Excel table into a .jpg or .gif image?)
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how to convert an excel table to .jpg?

I am trying to load an excel table onto a website, but it only accepts .jpg or .gif images. I tried saving it as .jpg and then uploading it, but that didn't work. I also was going to try to print to file, but my only option was to print to Microsoft Office Document Image Writer. In that format I cannot use any other program to edit it.

I even tried printing and then scanning, but our printer is not working right (image comes out blurry). I don't know enough HTML code to create one with the colors and data I want in it.

Any ideas?

[ April 03, 2007, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: KetchupPrinceConsort ]

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
if the whole table can fit on your screen you can do a screen capture and save that as a .jpg.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure we have any apps that can do a screen capture. But I've never tried. Is there any freeware or common apps we might have that can do that?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
You can do a screen capture by pressing ALT and PRTSC at the same time, or by pressing CTRL and PRTSC at the same time. One captures just the window, and one captures your whole desktop; I always forget which is which. PRTSC is usually to the right of F12, or elsewhere along the top right side of your keyboard.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

you should have a "print screen" button on your keyboard.

hit that, then open up whatever photo editing program you have. if you use photoshop, start a new image, then just paste the screen capture into it. Or at the very least(assuming you're using a PC), open up the microsoft "paint" program and paste the screen capture in there. then save it as .jpg.

obviously crop out the area you don't need.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

After you do the screen capture, assuming you don't have any nice software like Photoshop, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Paint. There isn't a good crop tool, but you can roughly crop the image by either selecting the part you want and opening a new image, or by selecting the parts you don't want and deleting them. You can then save in whatever graphics format you want.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Heh . . . cross posting.
Strider
Member # 1807

ALT captures just the window. CTRL captures everything, though is unnecessary as just hitting the prtsc button will do the same job.

I didn't know about the ALT trick though...pretty cool.

Strider
Member # 1807

I was in an Icarus sandwich.
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KetchupPrinceConsort:
Does anyone know how to convert an excel table to .jpg?

I am trying to load an excel table onto a website, but it only accepts .jpg or .gif images. I tried saving it as .jpg and then uploading it, but that didn't work. I also was going to try to print to file, but my only option was to print to Microsoft Office Document Image Writer. In that format I cannot use any other program to edit it.

I even tried printing and then scanning, but our printer is not working right (image comes out blurry). I don't know enough HTML code to create one with the colors and data I want in it.

Any ideas?

Honorable PrinceConsort of things that are Ketchup, I do believe that you may find this program helpful for creating a document in a format more easily transported to most other machines. While this handy software has only very limited 'editing' (more like mark-up) capabilities, which may or may not serve the needs that your highness may have, that product does have a commercial version that has a significantly lower price point than its more common competitor WhoShallRemainNameless.

I do hope that I have been able to offer to you, sir, the slightest bit of help for you within your tomato-pasty kingdom.

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I'm not sure we have any apps that can do a screen capture. But I've never tried. Is there any freeware or common apps we might have that can do that?

*presents humbly to the queen of ketchup*
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Do you know I've been using a computer since I was 4 and I have honestly rarely noticed the "PrtScr" button, and when I have noticed it I have never wondered what it does?

Hatrack is teh awesome, and I apologize for my computerly ineptitude. In my defense, I am an awesome cook. And I have it on good authority that I make beautiful babies. And I'm an okay singer. And at least I know how to send pictures to my family. [Wink]

JNN, the links are also cool.

KPC will be thrilled to have all this information when he and the Princess come back from vaccuming the car.

(((hugs Hatrack)))

You all have been more help than you know. This information is for KPC's new business. He's unemployed again and this time he decided that he's just going to take odd jobs here and there as he can and start a small business to get us over the hump, since he is so close to graduation. We will let you all see the finished product. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
In my defense, I am an awesome cook
prove it.*

*proof can be delivered by mail or in person(preferably the latter for the sake of freshness), otherwise your defense is inadmissable.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[ROFL] You could make one of my recipes yourself (posted on the Jatraquero recipe site.) Then imagine it three times better (because there's always that certain something that turns out different when it is your own recipe.) [Razz]

If not, I'll take you up on that challenge any time you come out here. I love to cook for Hatrack. [Big Grin]

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
After you do the screen capture, assuming you don't have any nice software like Photoshop, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Paint. There isn't a good crop tool, but you can roughly crop the image by either selecting the part you want and opening a new image, or by selecting the parts you don't want and deleting them. You can then save in whatever graphics format you want.

A note for anybody who doesn't have an image editor they're happy with (for windows): Use Paint.NET --It's excellent, and free!
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We actually have a photo editor that came with our camera. It's not the best, but it's decent, and I know how to do things with it. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um.

So I'm trying to do a screen capture and I'm following your directions and it doesn't work. Is there a setting I should check or anything?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(To clarify, I hit the buttons as directed and absolutely nothing happens.)
Strider
Member # 1807

it "looks" like nothing happened, but that screen capture is actually saved. after doing it did you open up the photo editing program and try to paste the picture in there?

but yeah, to clarify, hitting the screen capture button won't make any noise or any special screen pop up or anything like that. it won't signify in any way to you that it actually did what you wanted it to do! it's just saved...in the ether...waiting to be pasted into an unsuspecting photo program.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I looked everywhere, including my clipboard. (I can't paste into my editing program, only import.)

But I will try it one more time. I restarted the computer and it's running faster now.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay. This time it saved. Now I just have to find out how to make it go where I want it.

I think I will paste it into paint and then import the Paint file to my photo editing program.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Haha! Got it! Thanks, all!

I guess the re-start did it.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thank you much, Hatrack!

KPC is asleep already or I'm sure he would thank you, too. [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is this a .jpg? This data is much happier as a table in HTML, believe me.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
What Tom said. This is one of the times when using a table in HTML makes sense [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to do it as an image, I'd go with a .gif—it'll look sharper.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I didn't know about ALT-PrintScrn either! Thanks guys and KPC for starting this shabang!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I also didn't know about ATL-PrntScrn. Useful information.

The last person I showed the PrntScrn button to spent three days making LJ icons. It can be quite useful.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

KPC says he doesn't know enough HTML to do the table the way he wants it himself, and the table setup they have on the website builder he is using has a table thing but it is not working well. I will try saving it as a .gif instead, thanks!
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a free application named PrintKey 2000. http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/printkey_info.htm
It is pretty handy.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see everyone's learned something. PrtSc is infinitely useful.

This is somewhat late, but the other method is to select the chart, and then hold down SHIFT while you click the Edit menu at the top of the window. There should be an option to "Copy Picture" (or Copy Image, or something like that). Click on it, click OK in the dialog that comes up, and paste the result into your favorite image editor.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the code for a table similar to your .jpg, modified slightly to be of more use for learning basic HTML methods:

code:
<TABLE cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 border=1>
<TR><TD colspan=5 align=center>MONTHLY COST</td></TR>
<TR>
<TD bgcolor="#099FF">Visits per<br/>week</TD>
<TD valign="bottom" bgcolor="#099FF">1 dog</TD>
<TD valign="bottom" bgcolor="#099FF">2 dogs</TD>
<TD valign="bottom" bgcolor="#099FF">3 dogs</TD>
<TD valign="bottom" bgcolor="#099FF">4 dogs</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD bgcolor="Yellow"><font color="red">1 visit</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$35</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$45</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$55</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$65</font></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD bgcolor="Yellow"><font color="red">2 visits</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$60</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$80</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$105</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$120</font></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD bgcolor="Yellow"><font color="red">3 visits</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$90</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$110</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$125</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$145</font></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD bgcolor="Yellow"><font color="red">4 visits</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$110</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$135</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$150</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$170</font></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD bgcolor="Yellow"><font color="red">5 visits</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$145</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$170</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$190</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$225</font></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD bgcolor="Yellow"><font color="red">6 visits</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$185</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$210</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$240</font></TD>
<TD bgcolor="#99fff" align=right><font color="green">$265</font></TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tom!

That was really helpful and I was able to put it where I needed. That was really nice of you, thanks again.

Hatrack is so cool!

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

kq, as a general rule you want to use a .jpg when it's an actual photo and .gif when it's a computer generated image.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I have usually got no use for computer generated images, but that's good to know, thanks. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.