FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Icarus, look here quick!

Author Topic: Hey Icarus, look here quick!
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if that computer situation of yours is still in limbo but I came across this deal just now.

It's only good till midnight.

it's got a larger LCD monitor and a better processor than that emachines, and it's from dell, for the same price. Downside is a smaller hard drive and only a dvd-rom drive. You can choose Vista or XP home.

Just thought I'd pass it along in case you were interested.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Am I to assume that the Athlon 64 is a better processor than the Celeron D?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah; Intel has the better mid to high end processors right now, but in cheap processors, AMD still has the edge, and Athlon 64s aren't their cheapest, even.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Athlons are comparable to Pentium class computers. AMD's Duron and Sempron chips compete with the Celeron. Both of my home computers have been Athlons and I've been happy with them.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
$459 with 1 gig of RAM.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Thanks, Strider. I ended up going with this. I got it with XP instead of Vista, and upgraded the memory to 1 gig. When it arrives, I'll grab the CD-writer off his old computer and add it in the second 5-inch bay.

[Smile]

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
awesome! i'm glad that worked out. it seemed like a pretty decent system for the price. I didn't know if your dad would need a burner or not(or would even know how to use one), but if you have one that's perfect. He can burn disc to disc if he needs to. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Athlons tend to be hotter temperature wize; the Duron I use to have at home made a great space heater.

Also, for 3D processing it's generally accepted that Intels are better at comparable rates, but otherwise they're pretty much the same thing.

I would have been tempted to get this one myself, but bad timing made it impossible.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Must have been a one-day deal, since the link no longer works..
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Nighthawk, the newer AMD chips are on average cooler than the Intel chips. Something changed in their fabrication process around the time of the Athlon XP line, when they managed to put out competitive mobile chips. Their newer flagship lines consume less power and are generally cooler than most Intel chips now. I believe both they and Intel, through integrating the innovations both made with their mobile lines, have been producing chips that are cooler and draw less constant power than their counterparts at least a generation prior.

Strider, awesome deal find (based on Kwea's post, the page is gone)!

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl: yes, this is nearing the end of the fiscal quarter for Dell and some other manufacturers, so expect a number of deals during this month. They do this regularly enough that I've saved about $1000 US total between two computers and one extra monitor so far (at home).
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.