FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The new NIN album...

Author Topic: The new NIN album...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
...doesn't suck so far. I'm very glad. It actually sounds like a weird amalgam of Ministry, Garbage, Elvis Costello and Green Day -- but that's okay, because I suppose those are good influences to have. [Smile] I may buy it.

Speaking of influences, it kind of sounds like a NIN-influenced record (with an awful lot of deliberate singles) rather than an actual NIN record. I'm not sure how I should feel about that. Are artists allowed to write a tribute cover album to themselves? I mean, there's a segment on "Vessel" that appears to be ripping off Marilyn Manson, which may be recursive enough to destroy the universe.

The songs I, with my plebian verse/chorus/verse bias, liked most: Beginning of the End, Capital G, Meet Your Master, In This Twilight. (God Given could have been on that list with different production, as could Zero Sum minus the interminable narration.)

I'd heard that it was a concept album, by the way, but I had no idea how MUCH of a concept album it was. It's actually an old-school, self-indulgent narrative.

------

I've been reliving the early '90s in general tonight. I went down to the hotel and sang karaoke with total strangers. It was a bit surreal.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Sparks did a tribute cover album to themselves.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow is it out already? I am behind the times. I thought it was next month. I've got to get it!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not out yet, but you can listen to the entire thing for free on the album's website: http://yearzero.nin.com/
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lime!!

It takes NIN to bring you back to the forum?

FG

(editted because when I type to fast, I type badly)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Where the HECK have you been, Dan?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

Well, not only NIN. I woke up one morning and there was too much stupid in my internet, so I decided to come back here and have a look around.

How's things around here? How are you?

[on topic]
I may buy this one as well. I haven't heard anything other than the leaked tracks, which had a new thing going on. Trent's got something to talk about again; good for him.

I'm hoping to get some listening time tonight, though. I'd like to like this. With Teeth ahh-was ahhh-horrid-ahhh.
[/on topic]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

To be completely honest, there was some growing up I felt I needed to do and I was too busy doing other things. So I chucked the other things for a bit.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, I love With Teeth. [Big Grin]

It's got some great tracks on it.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

It does have some good tracks - I think I like four or so, but the rest came across as nothing special, or worse, disappointing.

I'm listening to YZ right now! It's pretty good. The leaked tracks fit. Having some context helps - I was never too keen on Survivalism on its lonesome, but as Track 3 of YZ, it works for me. He's added just enough polish to it.

Actually, there's a level of polish to this album that I haven't seen in his work before. There was always an edge, and it was raw and immediate. YZ feels considered; honed in a way that TDS doesn't (in that case it was by design).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.