FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So*, I'm published.

Author Topic: So*, I'm published.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to link this here earlier in the week -- my piece went live on Tuesday -- but I forgot, and it's been a busy few days. It's a short article in this week's issue of The Escapist magazine, an online magazine about video games.

Yes, that means someone is paying me to write down my musings about video games. It's a pretty sweet deal, if you ask me. [Cool]

Here is a link to the issue front page.

[ August 23, 2021, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Twinkmeister!

It's a good article, I liked it. I am sadly behind the times in RPGs, but it was an interesting analysis.

quote:
However, player alignment system or no, CRPGs can't avoid answering the classic question of moral absolutism vs. moral relativism. If Good and Evil exist in the game world, it's because they have been codified during the development process; the system's discrete nature is inherently limiting.
Do you mean games that have alignment systems are moral absolutist, and games with no such system are moral relativist? Or am I missing the point?
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
Do you mean games that have alignment systems are moral absolutist, and games with no such system are moral relativist?

Yeah, I'm just saying that Good and Evil either exist in the game's framework or they don't. There can be none of the ambiguity about that question that we have in the real world.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Raja Doake is a would-be writer in engineer’s clothing who lives in Ontario, Canada, and spends way too much time thinking about this stuff.
You got that right!

Great article Twinky

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Congratulations. It's a good article.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't game, but it was entirely readable, and you made a lot of good points, which I got, since you made it so entirely readable. [Cool]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
You have an article in The Escapist? That's awesome! You're my new hero! [Big Grin]
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Good article, though I'm not a gamer so I didn't think "yeah that's so true" but it sounds reasonable. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading an excellent article about Troika on there, I love the visual aides and the general set up of the site.

Faboo piece Mr. Twinky! Definitely find myself agreeing with the closing statement.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
So* I'm Publish

did you just create a pointer?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alignment weights can also be abused more directly. If you pickpocket a farmer but rescue the blacksmith's daughter from her kidnappers, the net result is a shift in your alignment toward Good. Trying this approach in real life will make you pretty unpopular and maybe even land you in jail, but somehow it works just fine in BioWare's Neverwinter Nights.
Related but a bit odd, in Fallout I'd specifically pick fights with raiders and slavers because I could beat up them and loot their stuff with no consequences. That always struck me as a bit off, but I'd still do it [Smile]

quote:
Still, the strength of Gygax-model CRPGs like PST suggest it may not be the inherent restrictiveness of the Gygax model holding back North American CRPGs ...
Having grown up on North American CRPGs, did you single out North American ones for a specific reason? Could someone give a brief summary how other people approach the issue?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Having grown up on North American CRPGs, did you single out North American ones for a specific reason? Could someone give a brief summary how other people approach the issue?

They don't, which is basically why I kept it to North American, or at least "Western" CRPGs. That is to say, I'm not aware of any Japanese CRPGs that implement a player alignment model in any significant way. My experience with JRPGs has been that the player generally doesn't have enough choice in the story progression to make implementing a player alignment model worthwhile.

Beyond that, I kept it to North American specifically because I've never played any of the European CRPGs (e.g. Gothic), so I'm not really qualified to comment on what they do and don't implement. [Smile]

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice article. I hope they pay well [Smile] I don't expect you to answer, of course. I've written for a few game sites in the past, and they all payed poorly, if at all. Still, it's fun to write about video games, so there's an enjoyment factor that doesn't come with some better paying work.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I have no conception of what "well" is in this context, because I've never been paid to write something before. However, they post their base pay rate in the submission guidelines on their website, so it's there if you're really interested. [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool and congratulations, twinky! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.