FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We are moving to Raleigh

Author Topic: We are moving to Raleigh
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
The decision has been made: Annie will be attending NC State's vet school next fall, and I will be moving down to Raleigh with her.

So*, any Hatrackers in the Raleigh area? Any suggestions on finding apartments? Any useful information about the area that I won't find with my internet searching?

We just made the decision last week, and I am just beginning my job search now.

She is very excited about attending NC State. It seems to be the perfect program for her. I am very excited to be moving back to the South. Actually, I am just excited for the two of us moving off together. It will be an adventure.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Great!

Does this mean you'll have more time on your hands?

Time to do things like draw?

Draw things like webcomics?

Webcomics like Shipmates?

[Smile]

Good luck with the move and with the new place. North Carolina is a pleasant place to be-- we're often in Warrenton/Norlina (just across the border from Virginia) to visit my wife's relatives.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

Thanks, Scott. While I like to hope that any new job will leave me with more free time than my current job, I doubt you would want me to spend that time drawing anything. People can barely read my handwriting, so I think drawing is out of my league.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet - I'm moving to Durham in the late summer. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats. I think I got you confused with Axiom!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this means you have no excuse to get over to Sakori Hills GrassRoots fest.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm closer to Charlotte... but I love it. I moved from MA and so far, so good.

Best of luck with the transition!!

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY! I'm excited! [Smile]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
any Hatrackers in the Raleigh area?
Diana, who is Real but almost never posts on Hatrack is in the Research Triangle area. I'll attempt to browbe^H^H^H^H^H^H um, talk her into posting on this thread. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to your wife for getting into vet school at NC State. I have had only good experiences with the vet school; I contacted them for some information on hypothermia and dogs for a child abuse case I was working on at the time. They were super helpful, and found a professor who answered all my questions and really gave me some insight I needed. So I hope your wife has a great experience and gets a good education too. Does she plan to specialize in large animals-there seems to be a real need for such vets, but it's not exactly glamourous or easy.

The Triangle isn't really the South; everyone is from somewhere else. That said, it's truly cosmopolitan and has everything you might want except the Pacific Ocean. (I found the beaches a disappointment, but they are wildly popular with everyone else. I miss the smell of the arctic water when it hits the desert air of California.)The weather is wonderful, and the scenery is breathtaking, particularly during the transitional seasons. The deer, however, are a menace, and I occasionally wish that mountain lions still roamed the neighborhoods to control them. The children might suffer, but my plants would flourish!

I might suggest getting out of this liberal enclave once in a while; I found meeting people who have lived in North Carolina for generations very rewarding. Don't think that watered down sweet tea they serve in most restaurants in the Triangle area is REAL sweet tea, which is nearly black, flows ever so slowly into your glass-and tastes like heaven.

If you want more information about anything-good book stores,( and by all means, get a copy of The Encyclopedia of North Carolina, lovingly edited by William Powell. It's a door stop of a book, but absolutely the best way to waste time when it's too hot and humid to do much else but read.) good restaurants, good schools and neighborhoods, even where to get your hair cut, just ask. I'm sure Rivka will shame me into minding my manners and responding with alacrity.

Welcome, and I wish you every happiness.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hey, that worked better than expected! [Wink] I didn't even use (much) guilt.

(If I'd wanted to use guilt, I'd have mentioned what Monday was. [Evil] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

Thanks, rivka, for digging up a Raleigh resident for me. You are, as usual, so kind and helpful. [Smile]

Diana,

Let's become acquainted! I don't recall seeing you around the 'Rack before. Thanks for your helpful tips and perspective. Thankfully, I am a Southern boy, so I understand the proper constitution of sweet tea. I am simply temporarily serving sentence in the Northern climes while Annie finishes school. Though I think you might be scaring her by calling her my wife. I liked it, but it gives her the jitters. We have been dating for 5.5 years, so you would think she could get over it by now.

We will be heading down to Raleigh at the end of May for some apartment hunting, so I suppose if there were any information you could give me about good neighborhoods for apartments, that would be helpful. I make a pretty decent living now, so I don't think we are looking for the cheapest of places. Though I am planning on leaving this job in hopes of finding something more in my field, so who knows what I will be making.

Any help at all would be appreciated, and once we arrive some suggestions for good dining would certainly be nice.

--ApostleRadio

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by prolixshore:
Thanks, rivka, for digging up a Raleigh resident for me.

Didn't take much digging. I've known Diana for, let's see . . . wow, almost 20 years!!! (Man, I feel old!) She's the one who introduced me to OSC.

Unfortunately, her RL is so busy she doesn't drop in here very often. But don't worry, she'll be back to answer you, I'm sure. [Smile]

Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry to make unwarranted assumptions; I'm truly embarrassed, given that introductions and sensitivity to various living arrangements are high priority items for me. Gulp! I am really very sorry indeed; please forgive.

I'll try and make it up to you by contacting a couple realtors I know in the area. Living right by the school itself is a possibility, and would be ideal for Annie; it also has some lovely restaurants-the Irregardless Cafe is outstanding- and good shopping close by. The area's premier bookstore, Quailridge, is very close by (OSC has often read there; his picture is in the bathroom, the bookstore's "wall of fame".),as well as a Whole Foods market, bike shop and drug store. Raleigh's excellent theatre can be had at the "Little Theater" and one of the best rose gardens in NC is right next door. I spent many pleasant hours walking around the neighborhood while my son was participating in the youth program at Raleigh Little Theater. Plus you are only minutes from downtown, with the century's first major concert hall just completed and a first rate symphony and amazing ballet company. Both the Wall Street Journal and The New Republic magazine have raved about Carolina Ballet. In short, I might start looking close to NCSU.

Happy hunting...and Rivka did not even have to light a fire under me this time! She is absolutely the most wonderful person, even when she does (rightly) scold me.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

Hah. No need to worry about assumptions. We do not take offense that easily, so don't worry about it. We will be getting married eventually anyway. Annie just wants to wait until she is finished with all her schooling, which seems reasonable enough to me. [Smile]

You make the city sound very nice indeed. I am really looking forward to our trek down there. And yes, rivka is always wonderful.

--ApostleRadio

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.