FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BYU students protesting Cheney invitation

Author Topic: BYU students protesting Cheney invitation
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Rare protests at Brigham Young Over a Planned Cheney Appearance (NY Times)

PROVO, Utah, April 10 — The invitation extended to Vice President Dick Cheney to be the commencement speaker at Brigham Young University has set off a rare, continuing protest at the Mormon university, one of the nation’s most conservative.

Some of the faculty and the 28,000 undergraduate and graduate students, who are overwhelmingly Republican, have expressed concern about the Bush administration’s support for the war in Iraq and other policies, but most of the current protest has focused on Mr. Cheney’s integrity, character and behavior. Several students said, for example, that they were appalled at Mr. Cheney’s use of an expletive on the Senate floor in a June 2004 exchange with Senator Patrick J. Leahy, Democrat of Vermont.

“The problem is this is a morally dubious man,” said Andrew Christensen, a 22-year-old Republican from Salt Lake City. “It’s challenging the morality and integrity of this institution.”

==========================

The article goes on to say that there is also strong support for his appearance, although the numbers for the anti- petition are still higher so far.

And, from the descriptions and the quotations, this has to be the most polite and respectful protest ever. "And most students said that despite their concerns, they respected the authority of university and church leaders." How often would you hear that on a college campus, protest or no protest?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Several students said, for example, that they were appalled at Mr. Cheney’s use of an expletive on the Senate floor in a June 2004 exchange with Senator Patrick J. Leahy, Democrat of Vermont.

Aw, I love this. [Smile] Seriously. Maybe it's just the association with people that I love, although I am not fond of the school itself and chose to not go there and am very glad for it, but there's something downright adorable about the first and strongest protest in years being justified by outrage over the VP using the F-word.

I mean, check out the protest signs.
quote:
“We’re excited for the world to see what B.Y.U. really is,” Mr. Lassen said. “No matter what you think of Cheney, he’s easily the most powerful man in the world.”

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I know some people who are protesting (or at at least upset about) Cheney speaking at BYU. None of them brought up his Senate floor f-bomb; all of them mentioned his politics.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard the protest was rather small in number, but it is significant that a school considered among the most conservative would have protesters against having Cheney speak. It shows that dissapproval is not necessarily the partisan game that gets used as an excuse against current corruption scandals.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It shows that dissapproval is not necessarily the partisan game that gets used as an excuse against current corruption scandals.
You say that as though all BYU students are Republican.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“We’re excited for the world to see what B.Y.U. really is,” Mr. Lassen said. “No matter what you think of Cheney, he’s easily the most powerful man in the world.”
I find it strange to hear a Republican admit that Cheney is more powerful the the president and I find it very scary Mr. Lassen seems impressed by this rather than appalled.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
It shows that dissapproval is not necessarily the partisan game that gets used as an excuse against current corruption scandals.
You say that as though all BYU students are Republican.
Oh perhaps simply because several of the people interviewed who expressed opposition to Cheney were self declared republicans.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh perhaps simply because several of the people interviewed who expressed opposition to Cheney were self declared republicans.
That's what I get for not following the link. [Blushing]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(Deftly noted, Porteiro. That was gracious.)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
mr_porteiro_head: What I read earlier in the week had Republican individuals as well. My main goal was in pointing out that the current trends in approval and disapproval are not contingent on whether the people live in a red state or a blue state. I didn't mean to imply anything else.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the thing, there were not that many people protesting. Compare the maybe 200 people vs. what other Universities would have and this becomes almost a non story.

I have seen more than one protest at BYU, and it isn't as unusual as everyone would like to think. There were more than the usual, but at least half involved would protest at the drop of a hat. I even heard, but can't substantiate, there were more journalists than students at the rally.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Compare the maybe 200 people vs. what other Universities would have and this becomes almost a non story.
You know, in the modern era, a turnout of 200 students for any protest at a school of BYU's size is actually rather significant.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.