FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kurt Vonnegut has died (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kurt Vonnegut has died
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much. I only found out by clicking on 'Fred Thompson has cancer' on MSN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Vonnegut
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18055339/

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no. [Frown]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...that's about all I can say really. I knew he was getting on up there, but this was unexpected.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/12/arts/web-0412obit.php

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I just saw that also.

What a unique stylist! No one could mix humor and sci-fi the way he did.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
So it goes.

A sad day indeed. [Frown]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
So It Goes Indeed.

What a magnificent life. What a magnificent person.

[Frown]

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this. Oddly, on the same day one of my classmates hung flyers for her thesis defense on "Cat's Cradle" next week.

Its really hard imagining a world without him.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I caught a rare wiki-hack on my first view, there. Some crazy guy hijacked the wiki and was rejoicing Kurt's death...that's just weak.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me sad. He was a great man. [Frown]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So it goes.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

I read the article on AP, and now I want to cry.

I dont cry!

How come only things like this make me!!!

He was the man. Amazing. Amazing.

We really lost a piece of this earth.

[Frown]

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I'm going to miss him, he's alway been one of my favorite authors.
Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodbye Blue Monday...

Oh, God. He died? Are you serious? Tell me this is a late April Fools' joke. If it is, it's not funny.

I really want to cry now. Seriously.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Terribly sad. [Frown] At least his work will live on to affect countless generations. I know it did mine.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not go too far here. Kurt Vonnegut wasn't an angel. He was what I would call a "magnificent bastard". Rough around the edges, but with jelly center. The guy was divorced, and lived with his second wife for years before getting the divorce; he raised his sister's three children as his own; he battled with depression; he was an inveterate smoker; he was an unapologetic pessimist; he was an idealist; by all accounts he was ornery, difficult, and decent.

*poo-tee-weet*

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

Bokonon!

Where's your Calypso?

Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sad tidings indeed. [Frown]
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never read him, but your testimonials here are quite persuasive.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Such a loss. [Frown]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
He's one of my favorite authors. Sirens of Titan is one of the greatest books I've ever read. [Frown]

Edit: Misplaced apostrophe.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It was in this morning's Indianapolis paper that because of an ilness he would not be coming to speak in Indy about them choosing one of his books for "One Book, One Town." His son was to speak instead.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

aiua, I recommend that you read the following 5 books of his:

1) Player Piano -- His first, and most conventional, novel
2) Cat's Cradle -- Because it is my favorite [Smile]
3) Mother Night -- Just an excellent story, and less sci-fi than the others, which will prepare you for some of his other books
4) God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater -- Probably my second favorite of his
5) Slaughterhouse-Five -- I consider this one, his most famous, as overrated... Or maybe I just don't like how experimental he got with the narrative, or can't appreciate the author writing his life story into a novel. Still, this worth reading to see what the hype is about

Others I have liked: His short story collection, Welcome to the Monkey House; Sirens of Titan, Bluebeard.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aiua:

You HAVE to read Breakfast of Champions.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
quote:
Originally posted by aiua:

You HAVE to read Breakfast of Champions.
I strongly recommend you DO NOT read Breakfast of Champions or Slaughterhouse-Five first, unless you enjoy non-traditional narrative structure. They are worth reading though.

-Bok

vonk
Member # 9027

Odd. I read SF first and that was what convinced me to read his other works, all of which I have enjoyed tremendously.

---

"I got so much, and most mud got so little.
Thank you for the honor!
Now mud lies down again and goes to sleep.
What memories for mud to have!"

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I read it first as well (as required summer reading in high school), but find that unless you have a tolerance for weird narrative form, you may ask what the fuss is all about. I read Cat's Cradle next, the next summer, I believe, and that novel was what really hooked me (obviously [Smile] )

-Bok

vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
... but find that unless you have a tolerance for weird narrative form, you may ask what the fuss is all about.
Tolerance?! I have a freaking addiction.
[Smile]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
He will be missed.

Ironically, when I first saw this thread it was adjacent to the thread "again" and as I was quickly scanning down the page I read "Kurt Vonnegut dies again". That seemed oddly like something I might have read in one of his novels.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard this on the radio coming home. Said "Oh, no."

I always kind've felt that if reincarnation was real, Samuel Clemmens came back as Kurt Vonnegut.

His voice is one I will miss.

[Frown]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
I always kind've felt that if reincarnation was real, Samuel Clemmens came back as Kurt Vonnegut.
[Frown]

I was going to say something like that, unless more poorly worded.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

- posted      Profile for Feer   Email Feer         Edit/Delete Post 
He got me into reading books, I never really read anything until a teacher had us read Mothernight and I loved it. So I read Welcome to the Monkey House and just didn't stop reading from there. I owe alot of my reading enjoyment to him.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
He's about as dead as Elvis Presley, friends.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:

Damn. Spot on.

He's one of my very favorite writers. My top five:
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
  • Breakfast of Champions
  • Sirens of Titan
  • God Bless You, Mister Rosewater
  • Welcome to the Monkeyhouse

Cat's Cradle
was the first of his books that I read. It's not among my favorites, but it was good enough to keep me reading his works. Player Piano was the only book of his I did not enjoy. I disagree with Bok's suggestion, because I don't think you tiptoe into Vonnegut; you dive on in. Reading the book that is least Vonnegut-like won't tell you anything about whether or not you enjoy Vonnegut.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:

He's one of my very favorite writers. My top five:
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
  • Breakfast of Champions
  • Sirens of Titan
  • God Bless You, Mister Rosewater
  • Welcome to the Monkeyhouse

I'm yet to read Welcome to the Monkeyhouse, so if we slot Galapagos in there instead, this could be my top 5 as well.

Slaughterhouse is definitely my favourite.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"he was an inveterate smoker;"

I really am getting old.
I am of an age where one did not cast aside a person's strength of character because they smoked cigarettes.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Given Bok's username, I think it's safe to say he has a lot of admiration for Vonnegut regardless.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Nonetheless, I still don't judge people's character by whether or not they smoke cigarettes, and I do think it is something that marks me as being from a different generation.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Icarus, I think some people drive in, and others take a walking tour. It's rather amazing how you can see his craft change/improve with every novel. [Smile]

It's not so much that I care, but as the man himself said (and I paraphrase), "It's the classy way to commit suicide." He smoked a ton, knew it was bad for him, but was unrepentant. I don't think you can construe that as anything but a negative, if not the man himself, than in other's opinions. He probably didn't find anything wrong with separating from his wife, shacking up with a younger woman, but waiting almost a decade to finalize the divorce.

I just wanted to provide a little grounding, that's all. To do a mini-Speaking, as it were.

-Bok

RunningBear
Member # 8477

I think he would have appreciated it. I don't really think he was one to mince reality,
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Just ... wow. I've never actually felt loss at the death of a author before, but I really do right now. So many memories ... I remember first discussing Harrison Bergeron with my sister when she read it for ENC1102. I remember reading it when I took the class and writing my paper on dystopic literature, with an emphasis on Vonnegut. I remember being pissed off at "Slaughterhouse 5" and loving "Player Piano" to the extent that I still recommend it today (I'm with Bok on this one). "Welcome to the Monkey House" is the only book I've ever not given back to the library. It's sitting by my toilet right now. The look on my mom's face when I described to her the meaning of the title was priceless. And most recently, when I was staying in the psych ward at the hospital I picked up a raggedy copy of Breakfast of Champions next to the DSM-IV in the reading room. Someone had a delicious sense of irony.

Dang it, I'm sitting here getting kind of misty eyed over my memories of some old coot I've never met. *sigh*. For the record ...

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

Ohhh....

I am still sad.

And he was a good old bastard.

God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut.

[ April 13, 2007, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: RunningBear ]

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
This cheap shot obit really makes me mad and disgusted with Fox News and the reporter, James Rosen. It's the most disrespectful obit I have ever seen.
[Wall Bash]
Some highlights:
quote:

continued in his [ ] despondent leftism
"left-wing screeds and random musings"
“rich and irrelevant,”
a “sacred cow,”
“sci-fi mumbo-jumbo,”

Ahh, but here's the big finish:
quote:
Vonnegut, who attempted suicide a number of years ago, said he hoped his children wouldn't say of him when he was gone "He made wonderful jokes but he was such an unhappy man." So I'll say it for them.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

So it goes.

-Bok

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:

“sci-fi mumbo-jumbo,”

Not just "sci-fi mumbo-jumbo", but self admitted sci-fi mumbo-jumbo!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow. Just ... wow. I've never actually felt loss at the death of a author before, but I really do right now
I still routinely get choked up when I see a video of, or an interview with, Douglas Adams. And I still am routinely saddened by the fact that I will never be able to read a new work by the man.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's how I feel about Octavia Butler.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.