FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: FOX is going to 'Drive' me crazy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New column: FOX is going to 'Drive' me crazy
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
grrr... curse you Bridges... now I'm set up for another dissapointingly short series that will leave me longing for years to come...

on the plus side: did anyone else think that there were much fewer commercials last night than normal? I swear there were 3+ spots where you could see there should be a commercial but it just kept going... My roomate suggested that some of the car companies probably paid to be featured more promenantly (which makes a ton of sense to me)

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
And ratings are in... and they're not strong. 3.7/6 for FOX, with viewers starting at 6.4 million and dropping to 5.59 million by the end.

Not hideous, but certainly less than FOX was hoping for. In comparison, a rerun of Extreme makeover had 10.23 million viewers.

Tonight the third episode goes up against "Dancing with the Stars" and "Deal or No Deal." Let's hope FOX holds out until "Drive" finds its audience.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Tonight the third episode goes up against "Dancing with the Stars" and "Deal or No Deal." Let's hope FOX holds out until "Drive" finds its audience.

In other words, start coming up with a catchy nickname so that fans of the show can get a headstart on their write-in campaigns.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In comparison, a rerun of Extreme makeover had 10.23 million viewers.
That's a scary thought on so many levels.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
There have to be people (like me) who have absolutely no interest in those two shows. I never turned my TV on Monday night till 9 for "Heroes." Are there enough like me?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently watched Idiocracy, a movie that resonates with me at the oddest times, despite its flaws.

In it, the highest rated show on TV 500 years from now was called "Ow! My Balls!" and consisted of a man being injured in the groin repeatedly.

Perhaps 500 years gives the human race too much credit. O_O

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING: My roommate decided to check out IMDB to see who some of the Drive actors are, and he said that there are some major spoilers there, so don't look if you don't want to know stuff.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

The 3rd episode is on now!
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, phooey. I wish I'd read this thread earlier, because I'd never heard of the show until now. Is Fox the only network that doesn't have online versions of its shows to watch? How can they expect people to jump into a serial halfway through without seeing the earlier episodes?

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually they do have it online...check the website for your local Fox affiliate. For people from Philly
http://streaming.myfoxphilly.com/

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, pretty. Thanks! I never would have thought to look for affiliate websites.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I am a little worried. Wasn't tonight supposed to be a back to back episode? If so, did they cancel it because of low ratings?

Or was I confusing Sunday's night with tonights?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you are confusing it with the 24 premiere which had 2 days of two hour episodes. Drive couldn't do that without breaking up 24's uninterrupted run. It's taking over the Prison Break time slot.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Very happy with the latest episode, can't wait to see next weeks bank heist!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I squeeze my toothpaste tube in the morning, I half expect ads for Drive to come out.
[ROFL] (because no one else did)

Is Nathan Fillion acting like Mal Reynolds again, or is he just being Nathan Fillion?

I like this show, but the ratings that Chris Bridges showed don't look good.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
I've never gotten into Lost, 24, X-Files, etc., which may explain why I didn't like Drive at all. Too random.

There may be hope for you after all. Even if you do like Idol. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to change my pet title of the show again.

How about "Mal in a Car"?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
"Carenity."

TheReader: He's definitely channeling Angry Mal from "Serenity." Mal in the series was more similar to IRL Nathan Fillion (although often still fairly intense- think "You wanna meet the real me?"), who from all accounts is one of the funniest and most easy-going men alive.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I've enjoyed the first three episodes.

Then again, I enjoyed the first three episodes of Studio 60 and The Black Donnellys, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

I must admit, though, that it's not ohmygoshIhavetogethometoseeit good - it's not as compelling as, say, Heroes or 24 or West Wing. It also feels like it's trying a bit too hard to be unpredictable.

My girlfriend is lukewarm on it so far.

Now that Mal has Serenity... er, Alex has his old racer... I'm looking for it to hit its stride.

I think the problem for me is that the only two characters I really care about are Alex and Winston.

It also kind of irked me that the previews on Sunday were not for Monday's show - half of the stuff previewed didn't happen, and was recycled for Monday night's postshow previews. Because I watched the preview and was expecting those thinsg to happen, Monday's show felt incomplete somehow.

I am looking forward to next week - but I have to admit that it's a marriage of convenience being on right before 24. If 24 wasn't there (or after 24 ends), I don't know how compelled I would be to make it a point to tune in. Which isn't good.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only seen the first 2 episodes so far and I like it. I'll keep watching it anyway.

It really bugged me that they had to make it to Cape Canaveral in time for a shuttle launch. There is no way they would be able to "race" there when a shuttle was launching.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

I really like the astrophysicist and his daughter (even if she does look like pre-druggie Lindsay Lohan). They already have great chemistry as actors, and the "teach Dad how to lie" bit was very funny.

The Iraq vet and his girlfriend are surprisingly dull.

Winston and his brother also have great chemistry, and the showdown with their father's stooge in this episode showed an interesting darker side of the Younger Salazar, which I hope gets explored more fully in upcoming episodes.

Alex roaring past the opposition at the end of the episode was just freakin' awesome. And this coming from someone who normally views the fetishization of cars with complete incomprehension.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I must admit, though, that it's not ohmygoshIhavetogethometoseeit good - it's not as compelling as, say, Heroes...
Heroes only compelled me to vomit.

Drive compels me to get my children to bed early so I don't miss a moment.

Hail Nate Fillon and Minivan Lady.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as how I was robbed of Mal from Firefly and only got to watch him for once season and one movie, I am happy to see Mal's ancestor driving in an illegal road race.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Oh I forgot to mention- I'm diggin' Wendy Patrakas as well. I was glad they didn't actually pull the "she's so stupid that she hands over her keys and credit card and gets her van stolen from under her" thing, and her steely "don't mess with me" look when Machiavellian Girl tried to stow the baby seat was genuinely frightening, in an adorable, crazy sort of way.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this line of products would be a perfect tie in for the show on so many levels.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
This is looking like a one season show to me. I like it. It is getting very interesting, however it seems like a show that is only good for a season.

I love the crazy mom. I am annoyed by the blond main girl. She is annoying enough to almost make me loose interest in the show.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I have very little interest in the physicist/daughter combo, the crazy baby lady, the katrina survivors, the cop investigating Alex's wife, or the soldier/girlfriend.

That's bad.

I have only mild interest in Shawn Salazar, Alex's "partner", the old couple on the motorcycle, and the guy who lost the flash drive.

That's also not so good.

I am very interested in Alex's plight and history, as well as Winston's family trouble and history.

That's what's keeping me coming back to the show.

I'm really hoping, though, that those other characters are "sleepers" - in that I will become more interested as the show progresses. But, quite honestly, the writers should have made them more interesting from day one. Or, chosen different central characters.

The other thing that I'm not really on board with is the "why" factor. Why are they staging this race? What do the race organizers get for their $32 million? With the race having been run for over 20 years, you're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars for what?

If it's a "bored old billionaires" storyline, I'm going to be ticked. Maybe there's a betting ring associated with this, with people wagering on who's going to win based on their dossiers and motivation? Perhaps.

But it's a problem that I haven't been forced to buy in to the concept enough to care to really speculate.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Katrina-girl. She looks and sounds like one of my friends. They're so similar that I actually checked imdb to make sure she didn't have a moonlighting acting career.

As for the "why," our guess is also "bored old billionaires" who each interfere on behalf of their rider. I really hope its not easy.

And from what I read on TVGuide.com, it doesn't look like 13 episodes is supposed to take us to the end of the race. At the end of the interview Tim Minear says:

quote:
If we weren't [a] mid-season [show], 22 [episodes] would take us from a start to a finish," he says. "[But] 13 isn't enough to get me to the end of one of these races, so you're going to get a natural stopping point at 13, and when we come back, we will finish the race."
Not sure he's going to get that second season, but I know I'm doing everything I can to get people onboard. I am harrasing the daylights out of everyone I know who watches Lost or Heroes. And people are getting the dvd set as gifts when it hit the shelves.

That's assuming the show itself doesn't nosedive like the ratings. But I trust it in Tim's hands.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good . . . but is it as good as Hiatus?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Sounds good . . . but is it as good as Hiatus?

[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alex roaring past the opposition at the end of the episode was just freakin' awesome.
There is an angle in that scene where the camera is on the front right of the car, my friend and I watched it at least 15 times trying to figure out how they did that shot. We think it must have been on a trailer that they edited out because the car's shadow looks really fake. Still it was an awesome shot.

As to the "Why" I am going with the betting theory but I think it is a small group of people who have to bring their own drivers into the race. Also from the looks of it bank robberies will be part of the race.

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris wrote:

quote:
But I have seen the first two episodes of the new show “Drive,” premiering this Sunday, and I fell head over heels in love. I can’t wait to see how this exciting, character-driven show unfolds.

Which is why it is certain to be cancelled quickly: I like it. The curse awakens…

Good thing you warned me or I might have watched it. [Wink]

Unfortunately, it looks like you might be really on target here:
Ratings: NBC sinks; Fox's 'Drive' stalls

quote:
The two-hour premiere of "Drive," about a mysterious cross-country race, was seen by only 6 million viewers on Sunday. That put Fox behind such fare as an "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" rerun and even the buzz-free "The Apprentice" on NBC.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I want to see this show!

Of course, chances are it will get here, be shown for half a season during non-ratings period and then disappear (hello, Joan of Arcadia!) never to be seen again - or return at 11.00am on weekdays with no advertising, following Danoz-direct TV (yes, Wonderfalls).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scorpio
Member # 9502

- posted      Profile for Scorpio   Email Scorpio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vasslia Cora:
quote:
Alex roaring past the opposition at the end of the episode was just freakin' awesome.
There is an angle in that scene where the camera is on the front right of the car, my friend and I watched it at least 15 times trying to figure out how they did that shot. We think it must have been on a trailer that they edited out because the car's shadow looks really fake. Still it was an awesome shot.
I'm almost positive that it was added in digitally. They have said that there are a number of things that they are doing with this show that they could only do digitally.

I kept waiting to hear the words "Leaf on the wind" for that whole scene, coincidentally.

Personally, I'm hoping for more scenes like the first one in the first episode.

And remember how Alex tried to steal that one guys car in the pilot? Did he actually manadge to repress his former self enough to forget how to drive a stick?

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you talking about the one where the camera appeared to be mounted on an invisible platform attached to the car? There was a commercial a couple of years back which appeared to use a similar technique. You can see it here.

My personal guess is that the camera is mounted to the car, but that the rig attaching them has been digitally edited out. I really just guessing, though.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Are you talking about the one where the camera appeared to be mounted on an invisible platform attached to the car? There was a commercial a couple of years back which appeared to use a similar technique. You can see it here.

My personal guess is that the camera is mounted to the car, but that the rig attaching them has been digitally edited out. I really just guessing, though.

The first time I ever saw that shot was in Steven Spielbergs, "War of the Worlds."

It happens after the Aliens first attack and they start driving to his ex wife's parent's house I believe. I remember being very impressed when seeing it done.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
They should have started Drive on Wednesdays after American Idol. I can't stand that 5th grader game show.

Anyway, I DVR scheduled it and then went out on Sunday with my husband. My son decided he wanted to watch Planet Earth on the TV that the DVR was going to use and killed the recording. Aargh! So all I have to go on is Monday's show. I liked it, but haven't seen enough yet to decide if it's something to keep on the schedule.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

quote:
Originally posted by Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged:
Actually they do have it online...check the website for your local Fox affiliate. For people from Philly
http://streaming.myfoxphilly.com/

All of the episodes are currently online if you missed any.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Wowbagger!
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind using iTunes, they have all the episodes up there for $2.99 apiece.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

New episode in 7 minutes! *Buckles Seat Belt* *Pops Open a Soda*
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Lime! Good to see you around. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilery speculation (no spoilers for unaired episodes)

Anyone notice who is and who isn't in the intro sequence? I wonder if Astrophysicist Dad isn't long for this world.

End spoilers!

Loved the shuttle. I'm jealous of people who get to see the launch in person.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Next week's looks a little iffy... AngryMal just HAPPENS to know someone with medical training in some random part of Georgia? Hrm...

I like the series, though.

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

I kind of realized the the woman who heard from god wasn't going to make it when she wasn't in the intro...
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know why they had to kill her off.
I liked her
She was one of the few sisters [Frown]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually really glad she died. Someone needed to die.

David, I think we're going on the assumption that AngryMal/Alex has a long and illustrious criminal career, complete with random criminal connections.

I liked how they changed the opening to have Alex and Corinna in the new car.

In the first episode, remember when creepy bald guy said "Someone has a lot riding on you"? My first thought was "Someone's betting on him". I mean, the obvious interpretation would be his wife, but it sounded purposefully ambiguous.

I actually really kind of like the character development of the Army guy and his wife. At first they seemed to be really annoying, but they've actually turned out to be likable. The guy is devoted to the Army and doesn't want to turn his back on his friends, and the wife really really loves her husband. Their scenes were some of the most riveting to me. I'm curious as to what's going to happen.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Are they going to kill off everybody that isn't ridiculously good-looking? [Roll Eyes]

It looks that way, as the next likely candidate is already dying of cancer.

He's not in the intro either.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. It's a shame, and it's too bad that they seem to be making the intro a bit of a spoiler. It also sort of kills the suspense of the ending of the most recent episode.

Apparently Alex has a significant criminal background. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew a lot of people who could fix up wounded bank robbers under the radar.

It's a shame they killed off the Katrina nurse right when her character finally got interesting. I wonder what the "voice of God" thing was all about, and whether that will play any sort of role in the rest of the show. Her friend Leigh might get a lot more interesting now...we'll see.

Other than that, I'm really only interested in Mal (and to a lesser extent, his...er...companion?), Astrophysicist Dad, the Salazar brothers, and Wendy Patrakis (don't really care much about the girl she's got riding with her). I'm also pretty interested in the background of the race. I think that a lot of the characters are still pretty one-dimensional. I'll stick with it for awhile longer, but I'm not really hooked yet, which is a bad sign.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I declare this thread closed until further notice, courtesy of the marketing department at Fox [Frown]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.