FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New OSC sponsored site -- Starshine and Shadows

Author Topic: New OSC sponsored site -- Starshine and Shadows
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.starshineandshadows.com/

I made one of my random excursions to the front page of hatrack and I noticed that on the lefthand side there was an unfamiliar site name (below the standard Hatrack, Ornery, Taleswapper, IGMS, and StrongVerse): Starshine and Shadows.

Here's what appears to be the mission statement of the site:
quote:
Here you will find (eventually) a potpourri of writings relating to three kinds of Storytelling - Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror - and the connections between them, between them and their readers, and between them and their critics.

Over the years I've written essays, articles, and reviews concentrating on how these particular Stories work, and why. While I appreciate the journals that published many of these, especially The Leading Edge, they enjoyed relatively limited readerships. What seemed a dream beyond hope was some outlet that would allow students and fellow enthusiasts not only to read my thoughts but to respond to them, react to them, and use them as invitations back into some of my favorite books.

Then … the internet. And Hatrack River has generously provided this webspace for precisely that purpose.

StarShine and Shadows will print and reprint articles ranging from the theory of Science-Fiction poetry to studies of individual books and stories by Orson Scott Card, Stephen King and others; from reviews of new books to selections of poetry (some of mine, to suggest ways theory can be transformed by practice; some from other poets where they give permission); from finished essays to ideas-in-progress.

The current essay is comparing the original release of The Stand to the 1990 rerelease (which added about 400 pages of content). It's interesting. There are also essays about The Folk of the Fringe, Ender's Game, Paradise Lost, and a few general essays.

Has anyone else been here? How long has this site been active?

It looks very cool.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a cool site!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:

Has anyone else been here? How long has this site been active?

It looks very cool.

It's been active since the first time I came to Hatrack, so quite a while.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I got an email from the author when I blogged about the site, and I pretty much stopped blogging around september of 2005, so it was before that. I think it was almost certainly before IGMS.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.