FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How secure is this?

Author Topic: How secure is this?
Ken
Member # 10082

- posted      Profile for Ken   Email Ken         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently came upon a secure message service called xchangey. http://urlmover.com/L9

How secure is this service?

And if it is really as secure as they claim, how does this fit in with the USA PATRIOT Act?

I am not a fan of the USA PATRIOT Act and it would seem this to go totally against it. I mean terrorists could be using it to plan a "24" style attack on the U.S. [Wink]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Generally anything on the internet isn't secure when it comes to the government snooping around.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, why do you use urlmover for all your links, even when they're not very long? I've noticed it a couple of times now, and I'm just curious. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken
Member # 10082

- posted      Profile for Ken   Email Ken         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Ken, why do you use urlmover for all your links, even when they're not very long? I've noticed it a couple of times now, and I'm just curious. [Smile]

Sometimes links I post on various forums are long, sometimes they are short - I just made a habit of using it.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wouldn't recommend anything that you want to secure to allow the encryption to be done be done by a third party. Use something like PGP (GnuPG is the free replacement) if you want something that will be secure.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and it's kinda strange how URLMover completely doesn't exist in Google.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend using PGP or GPG. They're about the most secure encryption methods available to private citizens who aren't connected or rich, or so I'm told.

(Oh, right. What Zevlag said. You can use Thunderbird with the Enigmail extension to encrypt and decrypt mail.)

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the Patriot act, I believe that there is no stipulation that says you must MAKE your information available to the federal government for inspection. They might have a right to go at it (although I don't think they should) but you certainly have a right to make your messages secure even from their interception.

Ironically, the really dangerous messages being passed among terrorists could be easily encrypted in such a way that no government agency could get at them. Its us casual communicators who are now exposed.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.