FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » November Rain

Author Topic: November Rain
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am, as usual, at least a decade behind pop music. I fully expect to joyfully discover Pearl Jam in 2009.

As a teenager, I listened to sixties folk music, Broadway and movie soundtracks, and classical. We didn't get cable, so no MTV. In college, I was broke and without a computer, so I heard whatever Jason had playing in his room. I also listened to quite a bit of German industrial music, as that was the price of hanging out in the common room and playing pool. Besides that, I didn't hear much that was new except for the soundtrack to The Scarlett Pimpernell.

So, now I'm exploring music. This month it is 80's metal bands. I read Fargo Rock City the last couple of days, and I really enjoyed it. I went on youtube to listen to some of the music it was talking about, and I found the November Rain video.

It's wonderful! Thumping and powerful, and I love the orchestral background. Axl Rose has yowling voice that really works with the guitar. Slash looks like Cousin It, but the guitar solos are wonderful. This is a great song and an even better video. [Smile]

So...does anybody like Guns 'n' Roses?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
GnR rocks! I remember the first time I saw the November Rain video. 11 years old with dirty hair to my shoulders, an old flannel shirt open over a Nirvana tshirt and a torn up pair of jeans; sitting in my friends bedroom with eggcrate covered walls and hundreds of band posters, cassette tape covers and magazine clippings. To cool for school, all the way. [Cool]

I love the video and the song. Perfect for a good headbang or seething in teenaged anxt.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
OOOOOOHOOOHOHOH Sweet CHild of MIYEEIIINE!

Yes, I like GnR.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I've never really been a huge fan of 80s rock, I've always loved November Rain.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Guns N' Roses. Slash is one of my favorite guitarists. He may not have the greatest technique. but he has an awesome style and writes incredible solos.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I opened this thread thinking "Ha! I'll make a GnR joke in this thread. There's no way kat would start up a thread about a washed-up, tired song like 'November Rain.'" Boy was I wrong!

80's metal, eh? I'm not even sure November Rain qualifies. Certainly pop-rock, but not Metal. There are other songs on that record that fit the bill, though.

Who else are you listening to?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Sweet Child of Mine, Patience, and November Rain all probably end up on a top-100 list for me, especially OSCoM. I love the way it layers on top of itself.

It demands listening from the CD, though. The radio stations always mess with the equalization so that all you hear is the lead guitar and a mishmash of the rest.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid I was always uspet GnR never made a video for Civil War. It was always my favorite.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

No "Welcome to the Jungle?" Dags? That's my favourite GnR song by far.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

PC: I also heard some Van Halen (fun - great guitar), whoever did "Cryin", Poison, and Ben Folds Five, which is not metal but which I really, really like.

I didn't like "Patience" very much - I'm not sure why. It seemed too slow, I think, but I suspect I'm just not in the right mood for it. Sweet Child of Mine I actually heard when I was in high school, along with "Blaze of Glory" from Bon Jovi.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
PC: I also heard some Van Halen (fun - great guitar), whoever did "Cryin", Poison, and Ben Folds Five, which is not metal but which I really, really like.

BFF is not an 80's band either, just FYI.

Hmmm... Poison? Perhaps, if you want to hear some good 80's metal you should pick up some King's X. Try the songs "Over my Head" or "It's Love."

Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thank you for posting that video! It is completely unrelated, but in the contextual links to the right of the video I found the following: http://hometownbaghdad.com/

Like I said, totally unrelated. But serendipitous nonetheless.

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Take me down to the paradise city, where the gass is green and the girls are pretty...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love her, but I had to kill her
I had to put her, six feet under, and I can still hear her complain

A classic in the tradition of Tom Dooley and Down by the River.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
"Cryin'", as in video featuring Alicia Silverstone? That was Aerosmith, on their Get a Grip album. Aerosmith is good stuff. [Smile]

"November Rain" was on Guns N Roses' Use Your Illusion I and II albums. Forget which one it was actually on... seem to recall these albums being particularly good.

My sisters and I watched MTV before we left for high school every morning, so I'm familiar with (and love!) many of the songs/artists from that time period. Other bands that come to mind are Poison, Def Leppard, Tom Petty, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue... basically, any band that fits the hair metal definition. [Smile]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Appetite For Destruction was Guns N Roses' magnum opus.

No other album they did ever compared to that. No matter how good some individual songs were off those other albums...IMO.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
No "Welcome to the Jungle?" Dags? That's my favourite GnR song by far.
I like both Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City a lot, but they're just very good rock songs to me - and the other three are all more than that.

Don't forget Whitesnake on the list of 80s hair bands.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
My older brother put hair metal bands on every Saturday morning (that my mother wasn't home) while we cleaned the house. I came to love Poison, Def Leopard, Warrant, Scorpion, Firehouse, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, GnR, and Damn Yankees. I'm still collecting a lot of it now that I'm a grownup. I think 80s Van Halen is some of the best stuff ever.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to Whitesnake's "Here I go again," on you tube a few days ago on a lark. I remember Tesla had a song I liked, too. And I do love me a hokey power ballad like, "Home Sweet Home."
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Oh Sweet Child of Mine, Patience, and November Rain all probably end up on a top-100 list for me, especially OSCoM. I love the way it layers on top of itself.

It demands listening from the CD, though. The radio stations always mess with the equalization so that all you hear is the lead guitar and a mishmash of the rest.

I may be wrong, but I believe that's because radio stations broadcast in mono, and so songs that do not have a version specifically mixed for radio broadcast (which was more common 20 years ago) can sometimes come out sounding muddy, or strange, when heard on the radio.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, kat, some new up and coming bands you may want to check out:
Michael Jackson (he's gonna be big)
Metallica
The Eagles
N*Sync

Just to keep you ahead of the curve. [Wink]

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am, as usual, at least a decade behind pop music.
You've got me beat. I just barely discovered Godon Lightfoot.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I may be wrong, but I believe that's because radio stations broadcast in mono, and so songs that do not have a version specifically mixed for radio broadcast (which was more common 20 years ago) can sometimes come out sounding muddy, or strange, when heard on the radio.

The stereo LED that lights up whenever an FM station comes in clearly on my radio disagrees with your initial point in pure binary. [Razz]

FM just isn't very hi-fi, and most stock car radio systems aren't designed to be so much clear as audible over road noise. Even a good CD in a car doesn't sound nearly as good as it does with a set of quality noise-cancelling headphones in a quiet room.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
I listened to Whitesnake's "Here I go again," on you tube a few days ago on a lark. I remember Tesla had a song I liked, too. And I do love me a hokey power ballad like, "Home Sweet Home."

*whispers*

"Here I go Again" was, like, my anthem between high school and college.

As you might imagine, there was a girl involved. Or, more to the point, no longer involved.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I forgot about Queensryche! How could I forget? [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. [Smile]

I just listened to November Rain again because of this thread. I now have a big grin on my face. Thanks, Kat.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Smile]

I just watched/listened to Fallen Angel by Poison. I have heard and will tend to agree that this is a really conservative song - this is conservative music. Interesting.

Great song, too. *dances around cubicle*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.