FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Things I never thought I'd have to say...

Author Topic: Things I never thought I'd have to say...
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
before becoming a parent.

"I promise you, the number ten will not shoot lasers at you."

(My daughter is afraid of the number 10 when it pops up on her CD player.)

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my.

Emma has been refusing to walk because "Oh my! The car is going to catch us!" That sounds cute when you read it, but it is said with a look and tone of absolute terror. She also doesn't like my old rubber duckie, which has a sailor hat on. "No! No!" she screams. "I don't want the big duck, I DON'T LIKE THE BIG DUCK!" When asked why, "'Cause I'm SCARED the big duck! I like the small duck!" When the issue is pressed, "The big duck has a hat on and I DON'T LIKE IT!"

Of course, I'm one to talk. I know as a child and even now as an adult, a lot of things bothered/bother me that don't phase normal people. Part of it is personality, part of it is strong associations that get formed easily, and part of it is the SPD.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously Pissed-off Duck?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
To my boss at work:

"I've got to run home and grab my toaster, I'll be back in a few minutes."

(I work at a Community College, and not as an appliance repair man.) The toaster was for a presentation by Kevin Roberts ("The Food Dude") that evening. My boss thought it was an odd thing to say, too, until I explained it. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Next time, can't you put a ham sandwich in the VCR instead? Peanut butter is a lot harder to clean up... No, son. No jelly, either."

"I'm going to be late to work because my dog ate my cellphone."
(seriously, he did)

"Son, maybe we should pick a name for the dog that your grandparents can pronounce. I don't think 'Donatello' translates well into Spanish."

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
"Good poop!"
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, when I was a toddler, I was terrified of asphalt. My parents couldn't put me down in a parking lot. Eventually, they realized that I was okay with the painted lines in between the spaces. So they'd put me down on one of those, and I'd walk along them until I reached the sidewalk.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
"Can Mommy have your booger? Please?"

(Lego HATES to have his nose touched, so it's always a struggle to keep him from looking like a snotty-nosed hooligan.)

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
"Good poop!"

I have that poster
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop...licking...your...brother.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
"Next time, can't you put a ham sandwich in the VCR instead? Peanut butter is a lot harder to clean up... No, son. No jelly, either."

"I'm going to be late to work because my dog ate my cellphone."
(seriously, he did)

"Son, maybe we should pick a name for the dog that your grandparents can pronounce. I don't think 'Donatello' translates well into Spanish."

Why doesn't it?

It's an Italian name after all...it shouldn't be hard to pronounce.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I love this thread.

"ll" is pronounced kinda like "y" in Spanish.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Not only that, but I'm from the school of throught that dog names should not have more than two syllables.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
My dog ate my cell phone last night. He threw up pieces of it this morning- in my bed (it was thundering so we let him on our bed- normally we don't).
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
"Put down that axe right now!" (Toy axe. But I still started laughing when I said it.)

I have also been known to admonish the kids not to lick each other.

About the number ten... When Robert was one year old, we went to the beach. As we approached the surf, he started screaming, "That way! THAT WAY!" And pointing away from the surf. I tried to splash his toes in the ocean while I was holding him, and he climbed me like a monkey. I couldn't even get him to play in the sand above the high tide line at LOW tide. He got over it at about age four.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds familiar, Olivet. We all went into the water and started swimming as babies, in both man-made and natural bodies of water. Our parents took us to the beach every so often and then suddenly when i was about three I was randomly TERRIFIED of going near the ocean water. They couldn't even get me to put my toes in. I screamed and crawled much like your little boy and wasn't happy until my parents let me go sit by the towel with a little shovel.

Every time after that I was fine. [Confused]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was about six or so, I suddenly became afraid of mud puddles. Walking down the street. Notice mudd puddle in front of me. Stop and scream my head off. Mom would roll her eyes and calmly walk me around it.

I think it was because I saw my cousin go wading in the silt-bottomed stream behind our house. His feet sank into the silt as he walked, and he accidentally stepped on a huge piece of glass. He came out of the mud with his foot bleeding profusely.

But at the time I couldn't tell her WHY mud puddles suddenly scared the bejebus out of me. I think that is also why I had mud-monster nightmares when I was that age.

It's weird that I can remember it now, but I bet a lot of the weird stuff that scares my kids has to do with things that are only tenuously related to the things they are afraid of. If I could only figure it out...

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Seriously Pissed-off Duck?

*giggles*

Sensory Processing Disorder.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I just looked that up to see what it was, and the list of symptoms was like a detailed description of my personality [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Lucky you. I have it, my brother has it worse, my aunt has it mildly, my second cousin has it really bad, one of my daughters has it... There's definitely a genetic component of some sort running through my family.
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Oy [Frown] .
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why are you torturing the frogs with a stick?"

"No, Skyler, do not torture the frogs with the garden hose."

"fine. Torture the frogs with the garden hose. Whatever."

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't in terms of parenting, but I never thought I'd say it anyway:

"Well, he's dead, so it'd be necrophilia before it'd be incest."

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading about SPD and I found it fascinating, but then I had to shut my computer down because it makes a whining noise that I can't take. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
"Yes, Daddy has boogers, too."

"Well honey, it looked like a little stack of cannonballs in her diaper."

"No Babydot, we don't tell the preacher that you farted."

"Don't worry Babydot, Rev. Hank will be okay in a minute or two."

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
"No french kissing the dog."

also (to the dog)

"No french kissing the baby."

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that goes back to the "stop licking your brother" comments.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
A and B were playing a fantasy-type make-believe game.
M: Hey, no killing each other!
B: But A died on purpose!

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

"Well, you see, the plastic platter spins, and this arm with a needle at the end of it moves across the surface, and the vibrations make music."
"But, uncle, that sounds so archaic."
"Well, yes, and thanks for pointing that out."

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Count to infinity one more time and I'm taking you out to the car."

Best thing I've had to say. "Ok, you can stay up five more minutes to eat your broccoli" (It was extra helpings. The kid loves his veggies.)

"We can't go to dinner until you put your pants on."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
(I love this thread! [Big Grin] [ROFL] )
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
How did you get that on your head?
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
"We can't go to dinner until you put your pants on."
This one gets endless variations at our house... [ROFL]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, doesn't quite fit in this thread but I have to tell it. Today the Princess and KPC had this conversation:

Abba (to Mommy): "...and wants to know about shipping to Canada."
Emma (interjecting herself, as is her habit lately): "Can-a-ah?"
Abba: "Yes, Canada. Ca-na-da."
Emma: "Ca-na-da. We don't need Canada!"
Abba (choking back a laugh): "We don't?"
Emma (thinking about it): "No... Mommy needs Canada!"
Abba: "Oh, really? Do you know what Canada is?"
Emma: "Yeah."
Abba: "What is it?"
Emma (after thinking about it): "A dinosaur!"

pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] KQ, that was really good. I just have this image in my head of a little girl smiling confident and saying that Canada is a dinosaur.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's still my favorite. I almost snarfed when I read it.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
"Well, you see, the plastic platter spins, and this arm with a needle at the end of it moves across the surface, and the vibrations make music."
"But, uncle, that sounds so archaic."
"Well, yes, and thanks for pointing that out."

I just explained to my dad (57 and technically deficient) that he does not have to rewind his DVD's before he returns them to the rental place.

I had a good laugh at it but I don't think he was too amused.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my funny ones come from teaching:

"I don't want to hear any more beeping or whirring. Or clicking, John."

Kid: I'm sad because me and John broke up.
Kira: You're nine.

Kid: I want to get a part-time job, but I don't think I'll be able to get one.
Kira: Why not?
Kid: Well, I was working over at the Wendy's and I stabbed my manager.
Kira: Oh. Why would you do that?
Kid: He made me mad.
Kira: Of course.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

This one wasn't said by me but one of the other coaches today at a game. These are six and under kids.

Coach: I thought you said you had to go to the bathroom.
Kid: I don't anymore.
Coach: What do you mean you don't anymore? [Confused]
Kid: I just don't.

It was her turn to bat.

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Just consider her Miles Davis.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.