FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Enochville returns

Author Topic: Enochville returns
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure how many of you remember me. I still recognize a number of you. I left at a time when my worldview was thrown upside down around a year ago. As things have settled down now, I remembered you guys, and how much I appreciate your wisdom and often well-thought out posts. Hopefully, remembering me doesn't leave a bad taste in any of your mouths. If it does, I am sorry.

King of Men and maybe Tom Davidson will be glad to know that I am still an atheist. I am very grateful that my wife is right here with me as far as beliefs go (we both left Mormonism at the same time). We are very active in online post-Mormon communities (not anti-Mormon). I don't have an ax to grind nor a mission to share my "untestimony".

My wife and I (and 10-month-old son which I believe we had after I left Hatrack) attend a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in which the majority of the members are atheist/agnostic. In a lot of ways it is like atheist church. We have all of what I consider to be the benefits of church: community, identity, mentors, service opportunities, weekly reminders of our shared values, pooling efforts for social change, opportunities to feel transcendence, awe, elevation, peace, joy, and opportunities to work on developing attributes like patience, forgiveness, wisdom, hope, compassion, altruism, global awareness, etc. But, without what I consider to be the (common but not necessarily universal) downsides of religion: dogma, obedience, inequity, superstitious beliefs, uncritical thinking, etc.

I am currently working through a UU workbook that is entitled, “Building Your Own Theology”. I find it useful in helping me think through and articulate what I do believe and what I value and what gives me purpose, etc. I currently classify my beliefs as spiritual naturalism with some humanistic traits.

Feel free to ask me for further clarification. I love you guys and gals.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, enoch! It's good to hear from you again -- and even better to hear that you're happy. [Smile] Congratulations on the son, by the way. *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you, enochville!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember you, but not much about you, I'm afraid. I'd be interested to hear about your reasons for leaving, if you're willing to discuss them.

Welcome back to the rack. [Wave]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! *much merriment and joy*
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thanks for the welcoming!

Juxtapose, thanks for asking, but I think it best for me not to go there. In the spirit of the other atheist post that is currently active, I will say that it was doctrinal concerns and concerns with practices and policies.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by enochville:
Hey, thanks for the welcoming!

Juxtapose, thanks for asking, but I think it best for me not to go there. In the spirit of the other atheist post that is currently active, I will say that it was doctrinal concerns and concerns with practices and policies.

Not sure, but I think he was asking about your reasons for leaving Hatrack.
EDIT: I guess not. [Cool]
And hi. [Wave] Nice to meet you.

[ April 15, 2007, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: Flaming Toad on a Stick ]

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I see I wasn't clear. No, enochville answered the question I was asking.

Fair enough, enoch. I approve of the category your reasons fall under. [Smile]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

Thank you, all.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Good to see you around! [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
A year? Seriously? Crap. That makes me feel old.

Good to see you back though. I remember you with fondness.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.