FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » School District Job Fair - How to Dress, Act, Etc.

Author Topic: School District Job Fair - How to Dress, Act, Etc.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
So I applied to several school districts near where my parents live, hoping that maybe someone would hire me. So far I really haven't heard anything back. Yesterday though I got an invitation from one of the school districts to attend their job fair this weekend. So I'm going home (briefly, since I still have papers to write and finals to study for back here) and going to the job fair, in the hopes that maybe they will offer me a job.

I am a little worried (okay, more than a little worried [Razz] ) about going to it though. Like I wonder what I should wear? Business attire? Business casual? Would a collared shirt and tie with khaki pants be okay? I mean I'm trying to look nice so they don't just write me off as a 22 year old kid. Also I'm really wondering what I should talk about and how I should act. Should I be more aggressive? Should I mention my good grades and the speed at which I completed my college education? Should I talk about how my interest in history and culture helped spur me into studying abroad? I just don't know, and it's worrying me. So if anyone has any advice about this sort of thing, I would love to hear about it. As always Hatrack, I appreciate your help. [Smile]

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Heya pfresh. First, good luck on the job search! I went through it two years ago, and my wife is going through it now. For us, it's further complicated in that we are both band teachers, which means we almost certainly must work in different buildings, if not different districs

I would wear a suit and tie. Professional clothes, well groomed hair, polished shoes, etc. Every bit of professionalism you can bring is a point in your favor, since it shows that you care enough to impress them. It seems that whenever I go to these things, no matter how well dressed I am, someone always is a little better.

Often, these fairs do cursory 3-minute interviews with candidates. Make sure you have your resume ready (and looking nice). I would also recommend a cover letter, specifically stating why you are interested in that district. You could also mention some of your good points in your letter, such as "dedication to being a good student" or "eagerness to enter the field" as demonstrated by your college work. You could also talk about how, as a college student, you took the opportunity to study abroad, and how that reflects on your passion for self-improvement, as well as for experiencing history and culture, rather than simply reading about it in a book.

Again, best of luck to you!

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Wear a tie and a jacket. Talk about yourself in a relaxed way. Make eye contact.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Don't forget a firm handshake WITH the eye contact that TL mentioned.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Eye contact isn't a problem; I'm usually pretty good at looking people in the eye. Talking in relaxed way will take some effort, but I think I can do it.

I believe I still have my suit up here, so I should be able to wear that. I need to go through my closet and check though.

I planned on bringing a copy of my resume (even though I already had to submit a copy with my application). I hope it looks nice, but I really don't know for sure if it does (I am always a little worried about how my resume looks). As for the cover letter you mentioned, BandoCommando, what sort of format should it follow? I could probably pull one together, but I'd want it to look nice and professional.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Be enthusiastic about education and children in general. Talk about your love of education and learning and all that kind of stuff. If you really want to shine you can use words like empower, and pedagogy.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
In the career center, they have people that will look over your resume and make it better. I found it extremely helpful. You can just walk-in or you can call and schedule an appointment. I think the name of the lady I met with was Debra, but I'm at work and can't check her card right now.

Good luck! [Smile]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

pfresh, I'll try to find a generic cover letter tonight when I get home and type it up for you.

In the meantime, here's a general format:

1st paragraph: say what job you are applying for, where you heard about it, and cite attached materials (resume, letters of recommendation)

2nd paragraph: Tell about yourself, what brought you into teaching, why you want to work in their district

3rd paragraph: Thank them for their time, say you look forward to hearing from them, etc.

Hope this helps, for now. I'll have a better version for you later.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Thanks for that, BandoCommando. I'll make sure to check back later tonight to get the generic form. I may pull together a rough draft if I have a free minute this afternoon though. Also thanks to everyone else who has posted thus far. It is much appreciated. [Smile] Anyone else who wants to post, feel free. The more help, the better.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I think the career center would also be willing to look over a draft of the cover letter.

Speaking of district job fairs, I'm heading to one with my wife this weekend in Vancouver, WA. Looking forward to it.

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, teacher job fairs are fun! The best part is that many will offer jobs on the spot. Don't be disappointed if they don't though... sometimes the desision maker for your area just wasn't there that day.

Look as professional as possible. It doesn't matter if you will never actually wear a suit in the classroom, you need to wear it to the interview.

Each district does job fairs differently, but my experience (in Texas.. so that helps!) has been that there's a registration, a short screening interview usually with district people, and then they will either direct you to the schools or tell you thanks for coming. If you're directed to the schools, you've passed round one! This comes the fun part and it really differs for each district from here... some will have sign ups to make interview appointments for that day, some will just have lines of people outside rooms waiting, some will have resume drop offs for campuses. Some will make offers the day of, and some will screen again and then call you to the campus for an interview.

Be as professional as possible, but be yourself. Smile, make eye contact and be friendly. People at these fairs range from beginning teachers to ones with 40 years of experience. They're not going to expect to hear the same answers from a new teacher as they would an experienced one, but be prepared to discuss how you will enhance learning for your students, provide accomodations for special needs students, prepare students for TAKS, and manage a classroom.

Teaching is so different from the business world, but you still need to sell yourself. Come with examples of prior teaching/leadership experiences. Use your study abroad experience to demonstrate your ability to bring a global persepctive and to respond to a diverse population.

Do some research about the schools in the district prior to the interview. Be ready to ask questions about the students, the faculty, programs, etc.

Bring several copies of your resume and make sure you have all the paperwork needed to get in the job fair. Many require you to bring transcripts and have a completed application on file.

Have fun! Good luck! You'll have to let us know how it goes [Smile]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I may have another district job fair in early May. It's invite-only and so far I haven't received an invitation, but I have hopes (particularly since it's the school district I went to). I've got my fingers crossed.

EDIT: Thanks for all of that, Coccinelle. They already have a copy of my transcripts, along with my application and resume. I planned on printing out a few copies of my resume though just to have on hand (and a cover letter if I pull one together). I'm really enthusiastic about teaching, and I'm hoping I can convey that at this job fair.

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
1) wear a suit, at the very least a jacket and of course a tie.

2) Like others have said, bring your resume, and it would be a good idea to have a copy of your transcript. Yes, you sent it in with your application, but they may not have it with them.

3) They will ask you why you want to teach...and what subjects you would teach and why. Be able to answer these questions confidently.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

So I should be sure to request another copy of my transcripts to bring with me? I can do that for sure; I just need to make sure to request it today so I can pick it up tomorrow or Thursday.
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bring an extra copy. Districts often require a copy but then the principals may want their own copy as well. If the district already has an offical copy, you can just bring photocopies for principals (to give with resumes, of course!)
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Okay. I'll request a copy then make photocopies of it to have. Thanks again for all the advice.
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

Also... have you taken the TeXes yet? If so, bring your score reports so that they can see that all you have to do is graduate and pay your $80.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I haven't yet. In fact, that's my main concern. I haven't done my certification stuff yet. I graduate from UTD in 2 weeks, then I have a few weeks off, then I'm in a certification program that goes over the summer. After that, I can either teach (on a provisional certificate) or do student teaching. The only plus here is that the school district whose job fair I am going to is one of the two school districts that works with the certification program I am going through (i.e. even if they don't offer me a job, I'll likely end up at the school anyways for student teaching).

EDIT: Well I requested a copy of my transcript, but it make take 3-5 days to process, so I may not get it before the job fair. If I don't get it, should I just print out a copy of my unofficial transcript? I mean it still has my grades and looks the same; it just says "Unofficial Transcript" along the top.

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

Yep. Just bring an unofficial one with you. It should be fine.

Are you doing an alternative certification? Be upfront about your certification status in the interview, esp if the district hiring you is involved in the program and they know how it works.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

I guess it's considered alternative. I had no intention of lying to them about it though (not that you were implying that I was going to [Razz] ). I planned on explaining the situation and the program I was doing to get my certification. Since I know they work with the program (at least for student teaching), I assume they'll be familiar with it. I guess we'll see though.
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
pf85:
There is a great book, "The First Days of School"
and I strongly suggest buying it and reading it cover to cover before you start teaching. It is an outstanding guide for classroom management, approaches discipline and all of the really important stuff they never teach in education classes. I have been teaching for 10 years and I stiff refer back to it once in a while.

It also talks about dress, even for an interview.
Basic summary: You are a professional. Dress for respect, credibility, acceptance, authority. Remember, almost all administrators dress very professional and they are going to be the ones who hire you.

Now with that said, I went to deliver an application at the personel office for my first teaching job wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The personal director called me into his office and told me to go right over to a middle school in the district and talk to the principal. I was surprised and told him that I was not even dressed or prepared. He smiled at me and said "he doesn't care how you are dressed, it's summer." The principal hired me on the spot.

The First Days of School (How to be an Effective Teacher) by Harry K. Wong
http://www.harrywong.com/

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Good story, krankykat. I already have a few books about teaching (I've been trying to read so I'll be prepared), so I'll add that book to my list. Thanks. [Smile]
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
YES. Buy that one, buy it now. I've been teaching almost (gulp!) 10 years now and I still go back and re-read it in the summer.

As for answering questions: Remember that you are going into teaching to teach kids, not whatever your subject specialty is. Do you have experience working with kids that you can talk about? That might be effective, even if it's not related to teaching per se.

And good luck, and have fun! And different job fairs go differently--in one I went to, very few jobs were offered on the spot...mostly to special ed, upper level math, and ESL teachers. Other people got callbacks later. So don't worry if you only get one interview.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I'll second (or third) the recommendation for Harry Wong's books and videos. His classroom management stuff is great!
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Here's the format for a cover letter. Hatrackers: feel free to add your input where you feel I've left something out or made a mistake!

Your Street Address
Your City, State Zip
Your Phone
Your email (these four lines should be on the right side of the paper, but everything else should be left justified)

Date

Administrator's name
Administrator's title
School name or School District name
School City, State and Zip

Dear Prince Ipal,

I am writing to formally notify you of my interest in the assistant band director position at Generic High School. We spoke several weeks ago, and I am very excited at the prospect of working in your district. My resume and job application were submitted online.

I have always admired the Generic band program, going as far back as to when I was in high school myself. My involvement in music throughout the region has given me the opportunity to watch as the program continued to grow and excel year after year. To be selected to help teach Generic's talented music students would be a great honor.

To that end, I feel that my experience and education would lend itself to a positive contribution to the program. I have many years of experience participating in and teaching marching bands around the region, including a brief stint as a visual instructor at Generic itself! My time as a graduate assistant for the College University Marching Band gave me skills and experience necessary for managing a large organization. I also have two years of experience teaching beginning band students, with a focus on building fundamental skills to set students up for success in later years of music performance. Finally, and perhaps, most importantly, I have a passion for music and an undying enthusiasm for teaching, both of which bring my skills and experience into focus.

Included in this packet you will find a video recording of several rehearsal examples, a CD recording sampling my performance as a flute player, and letters of recommendation. I look forward to hearing back from you and hope to meet you soon.

Sincerely yours,

(signature here)

Bando Commando

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
random job suggestions: (I'm an engineer, but this is pretty generic stuff)

1) Bring a bunch of copies of your resume (prolly ~12+) you never know who is going to be talking to you/interviewing you and who actually had access to your application/resume. Even at interviews where we've all seen the resume involved people will have a tendancy to forget to bring it etc... Also, you never know if there will be someone from a different school/district there that might also be interested in you. more resumes on hand are always good.

2) unofficial transcripts are generally fine for everything except possibly the 1-time official documentation when you actually have the job.

3) Have goals/objectives on your cover letter/resume (i'm not certain how applicable this is for your field/interest) but just cause you applied for the math position doesn't mean that someone there might just have seen your resume and think you're interested in the literature position etc... Be clear, but also note if you're open to other opportunities (like I said, this might not be hugely applicable for your field, but I know it's an issue when I'm going over people's resumes in my field).

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I should add that the formatting is correct, as far as I know, regarding where the new lines begin, and the spacing between each section. Paragraphs should NOT be indented, if I recall correctly. If there are any letter formatting experts out there who know I'm wrong, speak up now!
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm noting all your suggestions and am going to try to do them.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as resumes are concerned, I always had two versions - one (with many spare copies to hand out) that was for their consumption, another for me with much greater detail so my brain wouldn't freeze when I was asked questions. A cheat sheet, if you will. I found it immensely helpful for me to have something that I could refer to when they asked questions.

quote:
I am writing to formally notify you of my interest in the assistant band director position at Generic High School.
They already know you're writing to them - it's redundant. I would word it like so:

quote:
I would like to be considered for the assistant band director position at Generic High School.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

That's a good point quid. I should have had you proof read my letters!

Of course, I had an informal conversation with the individual in question, so it is somewhat defensible on my part. :shrug

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do this stuff all the time - resumes, cover letters, business communications of all sorts... It can be fun, in an odd sort of way. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

What if I don't know who I will be talking to? Should I just not include the name and title?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yup. Or you can research for the principal's name or the name and position of whoever does the hiring and add it before you go, regardless of who might actually be there.
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
You should always have a good answer to the question "Tell me about yourself". You will probably be asked that one a lot
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Caution, job fair anecdote ahead!

I'm an electrical engineer, and my college had two job fairs, one in the fall and one in the spring. I went to all of them starting my junior year. So by the time the last one rolled around, I was pretty familiar with the process. I knew what companies would be there, who they were looking for, what type of organization they were, and what their requirements were. Since the EE program at my school was only about a year old (previously, it was a Control Systems option and fell under the General Engineering degree), there weren't a lot of companies there who were looking for EEs. One of the ones who was, though, was Micron Technology, out of Boise.

BACKSTORY: Micron was notoriously strict about GPA. They wouldn't even interview you unless you had a 3.4, or somesuch. I'd transferred at the start of my junior year, so I had taken nothing but engineering, physics, and math (averaging 16-18 hours a semester) for the last two years (including both summers). When you transfer, your transfer credits are not calculated into your GPA. So the 3.6 that I brought from LSU just magically turned into 65 credits of pass/fail. Anyway, my GPA at that point was a 2.9 or something (I spent my senior year trying like crazy to get it above a 3 point, in case I wanted to go to grad school*). I didn't have a chance to get an interview, much less a job, with Micron.

Anyway, I'm a friendly guy, so when I walked by their booth I stopped to talk to the recruiter. I asked her how she liked Boise, what kind of projects she was working on, where she went to school, and how long she'd been with Micron. Basically, I interviewed her. I didn't even bother to talk myself up because I knew their stupid GPA policy would screen me out.

We chatted for a few minutes, and then I shook her hand and turned to leave.

She asked me as I was turning to leave if I had a resume I could leave with her. I said yes, but that she wouldn't want it. She asked why, and I said, "I don't quite make the GPA cut." I probably rolled my eyes as I said that (knowing me). She told her to give it to her anyway. I did, and then I left.

Later that day, I was asked by one of my professors to show some people our makeshift PCB (printed circuit boards) lab. I went up to the building, let myself in (I was a TA, so I had a key), and waited to give the tour. It was the Micron contingent, including the woman I spoke with earlier. I was knowledgable and articulate, and I landed an interview. And then another. And then a third interview (which was a phone interview with one of the hiring managers in Boise).

Didn't get the job, but I got farther in the interview process than any of my classmates.

Moral of the story: don't be afraid to go for a job, even if you think you're not what they're looking for. Especially if you think you are what they're looking for.

*to no avail, unfortunately. I loved my professors, and I could call any one of them today and ask for a favor and they'd be happy to help. But they were, for lack of a better word, hardasses. No curves, and in my upper division electrical classes it was unusual if more than one or two people got an A. The grad students in the classes didn't usually get A's.

I tried to explain to them that they were screwing my future, but they didn't seem to care. Actually, the typical response was, "Well, you have a B right now and you only come to one out of every 3 classes, if that. You'd easily have an A if you showed up for even half of the classes."

Yeah, well, maybe. But I have a condition. It's called laziness.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Yeah, well, maybe. But I have a condition. It's called laziness.

[Razz] [Big Grin] Don't we all?

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've been revising my resume slightly (passing it to people I trust to get opinions and all), as well as writing a cover letter. I'm hoping for the best ("Woo! A job!"), but planning for the worst ("Bah, stupid student teaching...").

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well I'm back from the job fair. Hooray for driving 8 hours in the span of 24 hours (I know it's not terribly long, but it's awfully lonely by yourself). I brought several outfits home with me to get my family's opinion on what I should wear today. We ended up settling on a burnt orange collared shirt, no tie, the pants and jacket from my suit, a nice black belt, and some new dress shoes I bought. I looked pretty good, and I was dressed better than many of the men there (a few looked a little nicer).

The job fair itself I don't know what to say, as I feel like it went really badly but I've got a terribly negative perception of my world. I got there about 20 minutes before the job fair started (I'm always early to things, just to be on the safe side). They had me sign in on a form (name, address, phone number, e-mail address) and asked me if I had submitted my application online (which I had, way back in December). Then I had to stand around a little bit (with some other people who got there early), as others signed in and the staff/faculty came in to get ready.

At about 5 minutes till 1, they let us go back to the cafeteria where they had tables set up for each school. Since I was only eligible for one school (the high school), I went to that table. Once there, I had to wait in line to sign in on a form there. Once you signed in on the form, you had to talk to someone from human resources for the high school for about five minutes. I smiled, made lots of eye contact, and shook her hand. She just asked me what I was interested in teaching, what I was getting my certification in, and such. After she got done talking to me, she directed me to a line to talk to the social studies department head for the high school (who I guess gets a lot of say in the process?).

I had to wait in line for ten minutes or so there before getting to go in and talk. The department head had a stack of printed online applications out on the desk, but for some reason they didn't have mine. She asked if I had filled one out online, I told her yes that I had in December, and she said that it was odd that it wasn't there. She then proceeded to write stuff about me on the back of another paper she had. We talked for ten minutes or so at most. She asked me a few different questions (What history was I more interested in: world or US? Would I be a multi-media teacher or just a straight lecturer? What would I do if someone was sleeping in class? What would be my policy about late school work? and so on). I answered honestly and tried to sound confident with my answers. When she asked about certification, I explained how I was doing it, and she nodded and said she had known people who had done that and it would be okay. Finally after all the questions were over, she stood up and shook my hand again. She said that it was very nice to meet me and that they would get back to me soon.

So yeah, I don't know how to interpret that really. I didn't see anyone else go beyond her (if there were further rounds of interviews). The people who had been in front of me left the same way that I did after talking to her. So I have no idea. I just got this gut feeling as I was leaving that it didn't go as well and that they have no desire to hire me. Bah for pessimistic outlooks.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Since she couldn't find your application, you gave her another resume? Or did she tell you to apply online again?
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I gave her my full resume + attached list of references + cover letter. I also told her I would check to make sure the application was submitted online (which it looks like it was).
quidscribis
Member # 5124

*nods* Sounds good.

Waiting sucks, don't it? Good luck.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yes, yes it does. [Smile]
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Waiting sucks the worst. I should know...

Best of luck pfresh!

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Thanks everyone. I'll be sure to post if/when I hear anything back. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.