FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » By chance, has anyone here done any extensive research about global warming?

Author Topic: By chance, has anyone here done any extensive research about global warming?
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a research paper on it, and have been reading countless articles on the subject. I was wondering if anyone here is self-educated on the global warming concept enough to offer input or unbiased sources.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
This must be your first global warming thread.

Personally, the majority of my reading has been more on technologies and techniques to solve the problem, rather than the problem itself.

Others, one in particlar, are much more involved in the actual science of the matter. Do a check for some of the recent global warming threads, you'll find a wealth of information and discussion.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't The Rabbit a climate researcher? If so, she would be the go-to critter for this.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
You can ask me, I am expert. What would you like to know about the Global Warming, please?
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit is a climate researcher yes, that's who I was referring to, but I didn't want to point her out specifically to save her the trouble.

Frankly, we have the same debate on Global warming I think on a monthly basis, and every time Rabbit comes in and sits us down to explain Global Warming. Verai, if you search Global Warming with "The Rabbit" you'll find a lot of posts by an expert in the field, I'd suggest you read those, and if you have any questions, then send her an email.

Otherwise I don't think it seems fair to ask her to explain it yet again when there's already at least a dozen answers from her alone on this board.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize for the repeated thread. I will run a search. I used to post here occasionally and recently, after having the idea to search for what OSC has to say about global warming, thought to also ask the forum population.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly I think the social/political/economic problems will be significantly more important (ie their impact will be larger) than any of the technical issues. I haven't seen much written on this, but I haven't actually looked at all. What little I have seen doesn't actually make any suggestions for handling the problems.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
You can ask me, I am expert. What would you like to know about the Global Warming, please?

Is there a human caused component of global warming.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes.

All the hot air expelled by people to debate the problem, lay blame on others, and disregard science in favor of the sound of their own voices and a bit of profit has increased the overall temperature of the world by about 20.7 degrees Kelvin.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
quote:
Yes.

All the hot air expelled by people to debate the problem, lay blame on others, and disregard science in favor of the sound of their own voices and a bit of profit has increased the overall temperature of the world by about 20.7 degrees Kelvin.

Sorta like if everyone in China jumped at the same time, would the world change orbit?

If everyone in the world simultaneously argued over global warming would the polar ice caps melt right then and there? [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious: what are your credentials and/or education which grants you the right to label yourself an expert on global warming, Reshpeckobiggle?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Curiosity killed the cat Rakeesh.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Curiosity
will not cause us to die –
only lack of it will.
Never to want to see
the other side of the hill
or that improbable country
where living is an idyll
(although a probable hell)
would kill us all.
Only the curious
have, if they live, a tale
worth telling at all.

Curiosity, Alistair Reed
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, one of my favorite poems ever. I've kept a printout copy since I was about 16.

---

Edited to add: More

quote:
And what cats have to tell
on each return from hell
is this: that dying is what the living do,
that dying is what the loving do,
and that dead dogs are those who do not know
that dying is what, to live, each has to do.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard another ending to that saying:
Curiosity killed the cat...
and satisfaction brought it back.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
My response to "curiosity killed the cat" has always been "But at least the cat died happy".
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
First I should note that I am not strictly speaking a climate change researcher. I am a atmospheric chemistry researcher and am thus very familiar with the closely linked field of climate change.

Second, Don't use Card's recent essay on Climate Change as a source for your report. Card is a science fiction writer and has no expertise in the field of climate change. His article is full of both factual and logical errors.

Third, I recommend you look at The Discovery of Global Warming which has an excellent summary of the scientific history for a non-scientific audience. It is unbiased and has been praised by people on both sides of the climate debate.

Finally, I recommend you look at the recent report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). The summary for policy makers is a good start for a non scientist. Despite claims to the contrary, I believe the report is fairly unbiased. It has at least made extremists on both sides angry.

[ April 23, 2007, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.